Match Thread: May 7, 2023 - Vancouver FC v Cavalry

9 hours ago, jonovision said:

I'm willing to accept that my "clear red" position is the minority view, but no foul, even no yellow, is crazy. He was late to the challenge (if he wasn't late he wins the ball). A calmer, wiser defender would realize there is nothing to lose by pulling out of the challenge as it was a difficult ball to control with the Cavalry player running away from goal. 

I feel like it was 50-50 ball and he pulled out to save the clash of heads. Maybe my no foul was a bit light, but I maintain it is an unforgivable red and would have been a harsh yellow. 

The way the ref reacted he thought that they had hit heads. He was panicked as he waved for the medic which to me shows he misread the whole challenge. 

And the linesperson called a throw in rather than a fould. They had a superior view and didn't wave the flag.  Ref was far away and squinted to see what he wanted and made it so. 

Edited by RJB

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

I feel like it was 50-50 ball and he pulled out to save the clash of heads. Maybe my no foul was a bit light, but I maintain it is an unforgivable red and would have been a harsh yellow. 

The way the ref reacted he thought that they had hit heads. He was panicked as he waved for the medic which to me shows he misread the whole challenge. 

And the linesperson called a throw in rather than a fould. They had a superior view and didn't wave the flag.  Ref was far away and squinted to see what he wanted and made it so. 

Giving it without even consulting the linesman is ridiculous

13 hours ago, jonovision said:

I'm willing to accept that my "clear red" position is the minority view, but no foul, even no yellow, is crazy. He was late to the challenge (if he wasn't late he wins the ball). A calmer, wiser defender would realize there is nothing to lose by pulling out of the challenge as it was a difficult ball to control with the Cavalry player running away from goal. 

Whatever the merits of the yellow vs red argument, a player that continues to play as recklessly as Romeo did there will be worth a few more legit reds this season.

One of the commenters on the broadcast was suggesting that Ruch's red card stats in CPL suggested he was somehow trigger-happy and cited a number of 7 in 30-some CPL matches. A perfect example of stats without context because that is below the average rate in world football.

Man, my 1st though was he caught him with the elbow/forearm to the head.  Text-book red if that happen, get the fu'k off my field, but on review that's not what happen.  However, that said, Rocco JUMPED to put a shoulder in for a challenge he was never, ever, going to win 

From behind.  Against an opponent who was at their most vulnerable.  You know, because Rocco was coming at him from behind.  

Say what you want, there's nothing "50-50" about that.  No fu'king way. 

Still, a bit harsh for a straight red, but to my eye, suggesting that it wasn't a reckless challenge is so 1977.

Shrug.  Just my opinion.  

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Has Zach fully migrated from being a Whitecaps supporter to Vancouver FC?

Yes, like 6 years ago. Held talks with Friend and co when it looked like the first team would be in the lower mainland before it went to Langford. He's not the only one. Which is why I say, VFC's arrival now isn't impacting Whitecaps attendance as much as people think. People had already left.

Edited by Watchmen

55 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yes, like 6 years ago. Held talks with Friend and co when it looked like the first team would be in the lower mainland. He's not the only one. Which is why I say, VFC's arrival now is impacting attendance as much as people think. People had already left.

That was going to be my next question, it seems like a lot of southsiders and other supporters groups members have jumped ship.  If I still lived in the region I would have too!

Edited by Stanley
Embarrassing Typo

21 minutes ago, Stanley said:

That was going to be my next question, it seems like a lot of southsiders and other supporters groups members have jumped ship.  If I still loved in the region I would have too!

Some prominent ones, yes. But certainly not all. And as I've said as well, some just stopped following any team. They didn't jump to VFC, they just do go to any (for a number of reasons).