General MLS Talk 2023

Big_M

1 hour ago, red card said:

TSN showed at least 2/week since they showed all TFC & Caps matches. Many weeks it was 3-5 as they would show matches shown by ESPN, sometimes from the local feed and once in while an CFM match. 

TSN also has la Liga - though it is largely only available to be streamed and rarely mentioned on their linear tv channels. And they got the Women's World Cup next summer + u17 & u20 men's World Cup.

Yes/no.  They had a lot of market restrictions in place or dumped them on TSN3/4/5 or streaming.  TSN proper only had 1 or 2 a week.

• 3 weeks later...

MLS has announced their first group of hosts, announcers & analysts. Only one from a Canadian network is Frederic Lord of TVA. Sebastien Le Toux will be a French analyst. Some will get a min number of matches while others will be on a flex schedule.

MLS has also outsourced broadcast production to IMG. Announcement was live streamed on a competitor platform - Youtube.

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, red card said:

MLS has announced their first group of hosts, announcers & analysts. Only one from a Canadian network is Frederic Lord of TVA. Sebastien Le Toux will be a French analyst. Some will get a min number of matches while others will be on a flex schedule.

MLS has also outsourced broadcast production to IMG. Announcement was live streamed on a competitor platform - Youtube.

Semi related 

3 hours ago, red card said:

MLS has also outsourced broadcast production to IMG. Announcement was live streamed on a competitor platform - YouTube.

I'm not sure I'd consider YouTube and Apple TV to be competitors, in the same way that I don't consider OneSoccer and YouTube to be competitors.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I'm not sure I'd consider YouTube and Apple TV to be competitors, in the same way that I don't consider OneSoccer and YouTube to be competitors.

In the US, platforms are converging.

Youtube TV will be showing NFL Sunday Ticket/Red Zone in the US next season. Apple TV was the leading bidder for it but it fell through after the NFL decided not to meet certain Apple demands.

Youtube TV is a streaming tv channel aggregator that you subscribe to like Rogers Ignite/Bell Fibe. Apple TV aggregates broadcast apps and takes a cut of subscription revenue collected by the broadcaster. 

Both platforms allow you to rent or buy movies.

The main difference is that Apple TV doesn't host user created content like Youtube as Apple is focused on originals. But Youtube does have a Youtube Originals channel. Content is limited as Youtube has changed their mind a couple of times on how much they want to focus on it. Apple TV does have a trailers channel on Youtube.

It's really about how people use their limited time. So, Netflix has said in the past that their main competitor is sleep and then video games.

26 minutes ago, red card said:

In the US, platforms are converging.

Youtube TV will be showing NFL Sunday Ticket/Red Zone in the US next season. Apple TV was the leading bidder for it but it fell through after the NFL decided not to meet certain Apple demands.

Youtube TV is a streaming tv channel aggregator that you subscribe to like Rogers Ignite/Bell Fibe. Apple TV aggregates broadcast apps and takes a cut of subscription revenue collected by the broadcaster. 

Both platforms allow you to rent or buy movies.

The main difference is that Apple TV doesn't host user created content like Youtube as Apple is focused on originals. But Youtube does have a Youtube Originals channel. Content is limited as Youtube has changed their mind a couple of times on how much they want to focus on it. Apple TV does have a trailers channel on Youtube.

It's really about how people use their limited time. So, Netflix has said in the past that their main competitor is sleep and then video games.

I understand this.  However, Apple TV isn't a place I turn to when I'm looking for (or performing) streaming news conferences, which is why I said they're not competitors.  Maybe I should have been more specific in saying they're not competitors for this specific part of the content, just like I'm not expecting MLS to lock all of their highlights on to Apple TV.

On 1/11/2023 at 12:22 AM, Goal_Kick said:

A question:  if MLS was an English league, where would it be placed?  

Obviously, it wouldn't be level with the Premier League.

But would it be level with the Championship League?  Or would it be down around the League One level?

IMO it would be between the Championship and League One, and generally speaking way closer to the former then the later too.