Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

...Fife is not Ross...    

Nobody in Scotland says Ross like that. It would be Easter Ross for the wider Dingwall area, Ross-shire or Ross & Cromarty. Dingwall where Ross County play is a small place but Inverness is reasonably close by which would be comparable to Kirkcaldy where Raith Rovers play for a night out, so I wouldn't overdo it on it being a case of being stuck out in Deliverance country.

The pub stuff wasn't just coming from fans. What seems to have prompted the loan was the backlash from the club to being seen out and about after a recent embarrassing cup defeat to Hamilton Accies based on comments made by Ross County's manager in the Press & Journal, which is the main daily newspaper in the Aberdeen and Inverness areas.

3 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Meh.  Small town rumours.  More likely he was itching for more playing time and RC looked to accomodate.  

That said it's clear Akio is a social creature.  Not saying he was hanging at this or that pub but if he was it doesn't have to mean he was boozing the night away or anything near to that.  It could be simple company and tea or cranberry juice all night long but still, appearances right?

Speaking of Akio being a social creature, Fife is not Ross.  I'd expect most urban Canadians would be way more comfortable in that part of Fife than Dingwall where going for a bite at 11 PM could be quite the task. 

Think they have all sorts of windmills about in both places.  Guess they could have that in common.    

Yeah, I get what you mean. He always came across as focused in his YouTube videos. Also, one would assume that being down the pub (for one reason or another) would get him in trouble with his agent(s) as well as the club.

He has the same number of appearances as Loturi this season so I'm not sure. It is one of those things we will probably never know.

The signing of Ulloa also gives us 11 attacking players (assuming you also count Polisi) and only 7 defensive players (not counting draft picks).

Maybe PDS fancies a "3 at the back" this year with Haynes playing central? Or Baquero, Baptiste and Samake?

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Jorge says Catavolo is trialing with tfc2..still under contract at valour according to Tait

Hope this is only training. Yeah, he hasn't pulled up any trees so far, but he is still young.

25 minutes ago, Big_M said:

bicou is on a short term contract there and theres no way singh is playing with the first team in toronto..dont think hes willing to go back to their second team either

I remember when Valour played Edmonton at the start of last season, Singh was very physical. With the way our defence is currently looking, we could use someone like that.

5 hours ago, Big_M said:

Bicou, Singh or Higgins...who is the lucky one who will be gifted a contract by Dos Santos??

18 roster spots filled.

5 spots remain: 2nd GK (Barker?); 2 or 3 CB's and LB still required.

3 U-Sports hopefuls (Carlos (MF), Pianelli (CB), LaPlante (LB)) and also Mikhael (CB) fates to be determined.

Likely not much in the way of signings to be be announced until training camp is under way?  Although 1 CB signing would be a good possibility.

Thought Ulloa showed some promise last time but couldn’t put it together. That all said, I really wish we had put more emphasis on homegrown/Canadian talent this off-season. 

Anyone have any idea what our anticipated starting XI is? Have to figure Ohin (if 100%), Gutierrez, Yesli, Baptiste and Baquero but I have no idea beyond that. I guess Ponce might start but I’m hoping that’s a short lived experience. 

Edited by Wippersuna

1 hour ago, Wippersuna said:

Anyone have any idea what our anticipated starting XI is? Have to figure Ohin (if 100%), Gutierrez, Yesli, Baptiste and Baquero but I have no idea beyond that. I guess Ponce might start but I’m hoping that’s a short lived experience. 

Yesli

Baquero   AJB   Samake   Haynes

Ohin     Gutierrez

Niyongabire  Williams  deBrienne

Ponce

Samake could be replace by CB signing still to come, Niyongabire or Ulloa could go either way

26 minutes ago, Wippersuna said:

After looking at the roster I’m starting to think that maybe entering the season with Ponce as your only striker may not be the ideal situation. 

Niyongabire and De Brienne have also played through the middle upfront haven't they. Ponce didn't look like the answer last year but maybe he will lift off in year 2 after settling . Jury is out on Saij. 

Another striker wouldn't hurt though. 

still light in defence beyond the starting CBs. Haynes cant be the answer at LB surely.