Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

6 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I mean, when you have lost your top scorer, who takes a punt on a player with 1 goal in 41 games?

Which one is that? Niyongabire? He's not a striker.

But to answer the question anyway, this happens all the time, and often these "punts" turn out ok. In the case of Niyongabire, nearly all of these were substitute appearances, many while still a teenager. When TFC signed Tosaint Ricketts in 2016, he had 2 goals in his previous 45 appearances (as a striker!) in Israel and Turkey. His G/90 rate with Toronto was excellent. Sometimes the fit or opportunity with one team isn't the same as another and makes all the differnece.

I'm not saying any of these attackers will turn out to be world-beaters, but the chances that all turn out to be bad or wrong signings is pretty low.

For me, aside from the notion of favouring Canadian players, it's no different that taking a flyer on a L1O player.

Heck, Siaj scored 17 goals in the Kuwait league in 2021, which is probably a similar level to L1O.

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Which one is that? Niyongabire? He's not a striker.

But to answer the question anyway, this happens all the time, and often these "punts" turn out ok. In the case of Niyongabire, nearly all of these were substitute appearances, many while still a teenager. When TFC signed Tosaint Ricketts in 2016, he had 2 goals in his previous 45 appearances (as a striker!) in Israel and Turkey. His G/90 rate with Toronto was excellent. Sometimes the fit or opportunity with one team isn't the same as another and makes all the differnece.

I'm not saying any of these attackers will turn out to be world-beaters, but the chances that all turn out to be bad or wrong signings is pretty low.

For me, aside from the notion of favouring Canadian players, it's no different that taking a flyer on a L1O player.

Heck, Siaj scored 17 goals in the Kuwait league in 2021, which is probably a similar level to L1O.

Going by Transfermarkt, Siaj has only scored 13 goals in his career. To be fair, Transfermarkt and Wikipedia aren't known for their accuracy. Either way, I agree that it is different teams and playing styles etc, but it would have been nice to see Valour going for someone who has actually got a half decent scoring record to replace Dyer.

I genuinely hope that the likes of Williams, Niyongabire and Siaj prove me wrong and they end up scoring for fun, but I still find it hard to be optimistic at the moment when we still only have half a defensive unit.

23 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Saw this posted in the General thread. Looks interesting and the original post mentioned that it is more than likely in CAD despite the £. It would appear that a LOT of our cap was spent on loan signings.

https://salarysport.com/football/canadian-premier-league/highest-paid/

Does the loaning club pay the salary of their loaned players or does Valour pay a portion?  (I can't see Valour having paid their entire salaries!)  Does the salary of loaned players count against Valour cap?

Just now, K Edgar said:

Does the loaning club pay the salary of their loaned players or does Valour pay a portion?  (I can't see Valour having paid their entire salaries!)  Does the salary of loaned players count against Valour cap?

The funny thing with loans are that both clubs need to agree on wages. Valour could pay a percentage between all or nothing (usually in a multiple of 10). I very much doubt Valour would have paid 100% given the amount AJB was on. 50% seems more than likely.

As far as the salary cap goes, I believe what Valour pay counts towards the cap.

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Saw this posted in the General thread. Looks interesting and the original post mentioned that it is more than likely in CAD despite the £. It would appear that a LOT of our cap was spent on loan signings.

https://salarysport.com/football/canadian-premier-league/highest-paid/

Those numbers appear very dubious to me.

Kyle Bekker the highest paid Forge player at $34k? 

9 hours ago, jonovision said:

And someone in the general thread made a comment about how Bustos was apparently the highest paid Pacific player on 75k, yet going by that site, he was on less than half that.

On the subject of wages, does anyone else wonder why Valour appear to have a small number of non-playing staff? I mean, HFX announced their backroom staff for the year a few days ago, yet Valour is always quiet on that front. The CPL website only lists 4 staff members (PDS, Rocke, Bhindi and di Stefani).

The reason I ask is the salary cap (of 1.2m I believe) is to cover both playing and non-playing staff. Now, if Valour only had 4 staff members, that would logically imply that there was more salary available for playing staff. This is obviously not the case. And, should a staff member (let's say a physio) be employed by the Bombers but also works with Valour, as his employer is, technically, the same, would his salary be counted?

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

On the subject of wages, does anyone else wonder why Valour appear to have a small number of non-playing staff? I mean, HFX announced their backroom staff for the year a few days ago, yet Valour is always quiet on that front. The CPL website only lists 4 staff members (PDS, Rocke, Bhindi and di Stefani).

The reason I ask is the salary cap (of 1.2m I believe) is to cover both playing and non-playing staff. Now, if Valour only had 4 staff members, that would logically imply that there was more salary available for playing staff. This is obviously not the case. And, should a staff member (let's say a physio) be employed by the Bombers but also works with Valour, as his employer is, technically, the same, would his salary be counted?

The Halifax list included physio, physician, nutritionist, physical trainer, etc.  It would make sense that sharing ownership with the Bombers that Valour also shares some of these resources. (https://www.bluebombers.com/football-operations/)

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/there-are-no-first-team-players-reserve-players-players-that-have-prioritized-minutes-its-just-battling-with-the-team

"The Valour coaching staff also likes Campbell’s versatility – he was a defensive midfielder during his first run with the club but played a ton of centre back in his 30 matches and 937 minutes with the Galaxy II squad."

35 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Another former Valour loanee returns (played 5 games in PEI for Valour)...

Is "midfielder" PDS speak for "defender" or "goalkeeper"?

Seriously though, I am becoming more and more convinced that PDS will be playing a back 3 this year. I mean, Samake and AJB will start alongside either Balisoni or Baquero as that is all that is available. There are a number of options at wing back (Rendon, Gutierrez, Haynes, de Brienne or Mzoughi) and with the added midfielders, it seems the logical option.

We also know what Fordy is upto these days (assistant coach).

Edited by EnigMattic1

On 2/8/2023 at 11:21 PM, jonovision said:

That is 55k, however, if you do a currency conversion from GBP. All I was pointing out in the other thread was that some of the MLS loanee numbers definitely appear to be off in GBP terms relative to MLSPA numbers so the accuracy of the whole list needs to be treated with caution. Beyond that we don't know what that number actually refers to. Could be net take home pay minus various taxes and benefits and employer incurred expenses for example in a Canadian dollars context if the currency symbol is incorrect.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That is 55k, however, if you do a currency conversion from GBP. All I was pointing out in the other thread was that some of the MLS loanee numbers definitely appear to be off in GBP terms relative to MLSPA numbers so the accuracy of the whole list needs to be treated with caution. Beyond that we don't know what that number actually refers to. Could be net take home pay minus various taxes and benefits and employer incurred expenses for example in a Canadian dollars context if the currency symbol is incorrect.

I think both the dollar amount (even if in GBP) and Bekker's position in the rankings, and that of many others, defies logic.

12 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Glad to see he is sticking around. Although it was kinda announced in the article about Campbell signing.

Edited by EnigMattic1

22 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Does the wording of the tweet suggest that one or two coaches from last year's staff won't be back?

14 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hints strongly in that direction given there is a salary cap involved but doesn't state it explicitly.

I would have been surprised if Valour were in any danger of exceeding (or indeed even approaching) salary cap thresholds for players or staff but it would make sense if Fordyce is joining the staff someone else must be leaving.

34 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/this-is-where-everything-starts-coming-to-life-this-is-where-we-start-gluing-the-pieces-and-putting-the-puzzle-together-training-camp-preview

- Valour FC players report for medicals and testing this weekend and take to the pitch for the first-time next Tuesday

another GK will be announced on Monday

Place your bets!!

I'm having (in this order): Barker, Artemenko, someone totally different.