Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

10 hours ago, yothat2 said:

Fordyce is going to have gang of connections to former players and coaches abroad whether that's in northern Ireland, England, US / USL etc .. should be able to find opportunities 

He’s certainly spent a lot of years at comparable levels, but I don’t think Rob Friends or Josh Simpsons player connections ever amounted to many, if any, signings though. 

On 1/19/2023 at 11:43 AM, jonovision said:

Excellent news. If we get Mekideche back I'm officially prepared to be optimistic about the coming season.

...and your optimism is gone :(.  Romeo and Mekideche gone, Samake and Pianelli have some big boots to fill :(.  Valour require another defensive signing.

10 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Oi.  I mean there is still time but Geez, the close season has not been kind to Valour.  And I just renewed my seasons on the weekend!  

Dos Santos better have a rabbit or two in his hat.

Sirois, Romeo, Mekideche, Levis, Rea, Dyer... ouch!

As for the rabbit...

Tom Field? (https://northerntribune.ca/tom-field-canadian-premier-leaguie-free-agent/) -- edit: sorry, he is a left back not a CB

Bicou Bissainthe? (OBELISQ just re-tweeted - must be a msg to PDS)

Edited by K Edgar

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

As for the rabbit...

Tom Field? (https://northerntribune.ca/tom-field-canadian-premier-leaguie-free-agent/) -- edit: sorry, he is a left back not a CB

Not counting Pianelli-Balisoni, we currently have 5 internationals, so he could be an option. The fact he can also play as a DM gives other options when it comes to the matchday squad too. I know he is more for u21 minutes, but Mzoughi can also play as a CB.

23 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

"Halifax Wanderers, Valour FC, Cavalry FC and Vancouver FC would not be able to host in the preliminary round of Canadian Championship play because of stadium availability and weather considerations."

1st round is April 18-20, snow will be gone.  Just don't want to open the stadium?

Still no Canadian championship game in Winnipeg? Crazy

6 hours ago, K Edgar said:

"Halifax Wanderers, Valour FC, Cavalry FC and Vancouver FC would not be able to host in the preliminary round of Canadian Championship play because of stadium availability and weather considerations."

1st round is April 18-20, snow will be gone.  Just don't want to open the stadium?

Yeah, a bit curious.  You never know what you could get on any given day in April, but getting into the last week of the month?  You're scared of that?  Really? 

I guess the club requested this. A poor crowd on against an unfancied opponent on a cold day loses more money than traveling? 

FWIW, averages for those dates are a daily low of 0C and high of 10C. Last year had a high of 1 and low of -8C, but as some of us remember, that was a bear of an early spring. 

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I guess the club requested this. A poor crowd on against an unfancied opponent on a cold day loses more money than traveling? 

FWIW, averages for those dates are a daily low of 0C and high of 10C. Last year had a high of 1 and low of -8C, but as some of us remember, that was a bear of an early spring. 

So with Valour, Vancouver and Cavalry all road teams we know we will play one of the home teams -- Pacific, TSS Rovers or "one team from the pot of Eastern professional clubs will be drawn into the Western pot to even the two sides" (and it can't be HFX as they cannot be a home team either -- meaning Forge, York, Ottawa or Montreal)

On 1/24/2023 at 6:44 AM, K Edgar said:

As for the rabbit...

he was really strong! surprised not re-signed with pacific .. shift to DM or an #6

Jaime Siaj has 1 goal in 16 appearances in the last 3 years (according to wiki).

Walter Ponce had 1 goal in 17 games in the 2 seasons prior to joining Valour (he scored 2 in 20 games last year).

Pacifique Niyongabire has 1 goal in the previous 4 YEARS

Kian Williams scored 11 goals in 3 seasons in Iceland.

To quote Taylor Twellman "What are we doing??????, What are we doing?????"

I understand that Winnipeg isn't a preferred destination in the league, but the last thing I want to hear PDS say this season after we get shut out a bunch is "we know we have the players that can score" We just signed the Jordanian Frank Jonke.

I know we don't have full time scouts, but this is the best Valour can do? really???? Are we even spending half the salary cap? If so, where is the money going?

Get ready for a big attendance decrease after we get pumped throughout the year. "BuT We NeEd HiGhEr AtTeNdEnCe"

Edited by Soccerpro2

48 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Jaime Siaj has 1 goal in 16 appearances in the last 3 years (according to wiki).

Walter Ponce had 1 goal in 17 games in the 2 seasons prior to joining Valour (he scored 2 in 20 games last year).

Pacifique Niyongabire has 1 goal in the previous 4 YEARS

Kian Williams scored 11 goals in 3 seasons in Iceland.

To quote Taylor Twellman "What are we doing??????, What are we doing?????"

I understand that Winnipeg isn't a preferred destination in the league, but the last thing I want to hear PDS say this season after we get shut out a bunch is "we know we have the players that can score" We just signed the Jordanian Frank Jonke.

I know we don't have full time scouts, but this is the best Valour can do? really???? Are we even spending half the salary cap? If so, where is the money going?

Get ready for a big attendance decrease after we get pumped throughout the year. "BuT We NeEd HiGhEr AtTeNdEnCe"

I get where you are coming from. I mean, if HFX are happy to take a chance on Massimo Ferrin and Cavalry opted for Ethan Beckford, both from L1O, why are we settling for 4 players who, going by your research, have a combined 16 goals in about 4 years, with 11 of those coming from Williams in 3yrs?

Hell, I would take a punt on Jonny Monney who scored 9 in 14 last season (apparently) at the age of 17 over who we currently have.

At the opposite end of the pitch, does anyone else think PDS is going all in on Rayane this year and will just get someone from the open trials on the cheap as backup? Or is he waiting to see if anything comes of Rayane training with Ajaccio?

Edited by EnigMattic1

I'll be honest: I'm optimistic about this bunch. We've never had a good striker at Valour, but at least we have some finishing options to try this year. Williams, especially, has done ok at levels that seem like they'd translate to success here. I'm more worried about where chances will be created.

Edited by jonovision

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'll be honest: I'm optimistic about this bunch. We've never had a good striker at Valour, but at least we have some finishing options to try this year. Williams, especially, has done ok at levels that seem like they'd translate to success here. I'm more worried about where chances will be created.

It is also worth noting that Siaj is now our 6th announced international player. Should Valour decide to keep Pianelli-Balisoni, that will be all 7. That would mean that we would need to look for a Canadian creator. Unless Forge cut a 'name' (who we wouldn't be able to afford anyway), I can't see anyone who has recently left a CPL side fitting that position. Are there any Canadians abroad that we could take a look at?

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

It is also worth noting that Siaj is now our 6th announced international player. Should Valour decide to keep Pianelli-Balisoni, that will be all 7. That would mean that we would need to look for a Canadian creator. Unless Forge cut a 'name' (who we wouldn't be able to afford anyway), I can't see anyone who has recently left a CPL side fitting that position. Are there any Canadians abroad that we could take a look at?

I thought I saw a rule stating USports contract were all considered domestic?