Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

Valour's results on the field may not be great, but at least they provide their fans with some coverage of the team with these player profiles. I guess having Ed Tait on payroll as part of the Bombers organization helps. But how hard would it be for other teams to get a couple of journalism interns and do the same thing.

In a recent northerntribune article about VanFC (https://northerntribune.ca/vancouver-fc-preseason-whitecaps-fc-2/) it is stated "Given that neighboring side Pacific will play Valour as part of this year’s preseason preperations, it’s easy to envision Phillip Dos Santos’s side making a stop in the lower mainland, too."

So Valuor is heading to BC during their pre-season preperations.  Will play Pacfic, and likely some of VanFC, Whitecaps II, a L1BC opponent if friendlies.

Any news of trialists?  (Other than previously annouced Alvin Rode (GK) and USports pick Pianelli, who has appeared in videos.  I assume LaPlante is there but I have not noticed him.  Carlos??  Novak, if that rumour is true, may still be recovering from his knee injury.  Any other trialists spotted by anyone?

36 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Diego is the subject of today's article.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/hes-grown-in-leadership-with-the-team-diego-gutierrez

(OK, but how about interviewing the new guys for a change?)

All this says to me is that PDS has his favourites. I mean, there is a handful of players from Quebec in the squad now (the same province PDS himself is from), and none from Manitoba.

Comments like "Those words will be golden for Dos Santos, who has known the Gutiérrez family for years, including Diego’s twin brother Christián, who plays for the Vancouver Whitecaps." are not really the sort of thing you would want to hear when you are not entirely optimistic for the season.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to take anything away from Gutierrez, far from it. He is one of out better players and he was a standout last season, it just doesn't look good when a manager basically admits he has favourites.

I agree with the comment about interviewing the new guys though. Surely it would be good for the fans to get to know a little about them?

38 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

All this says to me is that PDS has his favourites. I mean, there is a handful of players from Quebec in the squad now (the same province PDS himself is from), and none from Manitoba.

Comments like "Those words will be golden for Dos Santos, who has known the Gutiérrez family for years, including Diego’s twin brother Christián, who plays for the Vancouver Whitecaps." are not really the sort of thing you would want to hear when you are not entirely optimistic for the season.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to take anything away from Gutierrez, far from it. He is one of out better players and he was a standout last season, it just doesn't look good when a manager basically admits he has favourites.

I agree with the comment about interviewing the new guys though. Surely it would be good for the fans to get to know a little about them?

Seems pretty standard fare to me for a player highlight article. A coach hyping up one of his players and basically trying to motivate him by pumping his tires but also throwing the gauntlet down for him to be a leader and step his game up.

I don't see the favoritism part really. If anything it's just the club or league pr people that are guiding the narrative here rather thn Dos Santos.

On 3/3/2023 at 4:00 PM, EnigMattic1 said:

Are there really that many players from Manitoba of CPL quality?

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Are there really that many players from Manitoba of CPL quality?

Current: Ohin (Valour), Musse (Cavalry), Mukumbilwa (Pacific)

Last year there were additionally: Busto (Pacific), Pena (Valour), Farago (Cavalry, now retired)

Also: Barker and Artemenko who I thought might have a shot this year.

Playing in other leagues: Kianz Froese (Germany 3rd tier), Tyler Attardo (France 5th tier), Kyle Hiebert (MLS)

Edited by K Edgar

27 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Last year there were additionally: Busto (Pacific), Pena (Valour), Farago (Cavalry, now retired)

One of the better players in the CPL over the years. Farago could have been a starter for someone this year too.

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Playing in other leagues: Kianz Froese (Germany 3rd tier), Tyler Attardo (France 5th tier), Kyle Hiebert (MLS)

So of that list, we have a current Valour player, 6 former Valour players, two that chose MLS instead of CPL. My point is that Valour is hardly ignoring a wealth of local talent. There's a case to be made that they should have been able to hold on to guys like Musse and Bustos, but other than that they've given almost everyone a shot (add in CPL wash-outs like the Dylans in year 1).

25 minutes ago, jonovision said:

So of that list, we have a current Valour player, 6 former Valour players, two that chose MLS instead of CPL. My point is that Valour is hardly ignoring a wealth of local talent. There's a case to be made that they should have been able to hold on to guys like Musse and Bustos, but other than that they've given almost everyone a shot (add in CPL wash-outs like the Dylans in year 1).

I think it is more a case of, this season, Ottawa have 2 from Ontario, Cavalry have 3 from Alberta, Forge have 8 from Ontario, Pacific have 2 from BC, Vancouver have 1 from BC and York have 6 from Ontario. Only HFX and Valour don't have any players from their own province.

I'm not saying that Valour ignore local talent because, when they played Cavalry in '19 (I think), there was something like 6 Winnipeggers on the pitch and 3 on the bench (if you count Ohin and Artemenko).

If you have already been at Valour and left, doesnt that kind of take you off the list??  You had a run out, and either you didnt like it here or we didnt want you etc...BOOM, off the list.  Basically your list boils down to Attardo (which there are guys on here who thought he was crap even back then) and Froese, who still might have a chance at doing something in germany, Heibert is coming no where near Valour while he is in the mix in MLS (and I agree with that). As much as I would like to see a feel good local kid make the team (aka Attardo), I dont think we can flog the team too much if they dont have one waiting in the wings.   

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Do U-Sports contracts count towards the roster limit? I ask because the Northern Tribune roster tracker lists Valour as having 20/23 players in the roster and 2 U-Sports athletes.

Northern Tribune can't count -- they have 21 players listed!

and in the "Players below this marker have no public contract updates thus far" section they list
DF    Samuel Laplante    Draft selection    I assume he is in camp, but have heard nothing?      
MF    Daryl Fordyce    Out-of-contract    Assistant coach - that should have been updated!
MF    Tony Mikhael    Out-of-contract    Gone
MF    Jonathan Esparza    Out-of-contract    Gone, Please!

They also fail to list Catavolo in the U-21 section.

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

At least its a striker eh?  Whether he is healthy is another question.  So I like it..but yeah I find it hard to believe this is the best we could do.  

Kinda makes you wonder why we signed Siaj, Williams and Niyongabire if he was always a target. Although, Williams and Niyongabire can play out wide.

58 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Yeah. Valour Fury called it again. I'm sorry, but that just HAS to be someone connected to the club. When was the last time they were wrong?