Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

21 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Place your bets!!

I'm having (in this order): Barker, Artemenko, someone totally different.

... or Quinllan Roberts as a dark horse.  I would bet on Barker.

Article also states "...23-24 players who will be at training on Tuesday".  Valour has 19 signed players, add 3 u-sports players and a 2nd GK and you are at 23 already.  That would mean very few trialists (if any)?

Valour desperately needs another CB.  The article lists Dante Campbell as a defender.  At 5'10" he is a bit short for a CB.  Pianelli is assured a spot on the roster unless another CB is brought in.

7 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

... or Quinllan Roberts as a dark horse.  I would bet on Barker.

Article also states "...23-24 players who will be at training on Tuesday".  Valour has 19 signed players, add 3 u-sports players and a 2nd GK and you are at 23 already.  That would mean very few trialists (if any)?

Valour desperately needs another CB.  The article lists Dante Campbell as a defender.  At 5'10" he is a bit short for a CB.  Pianelli is assured a spot on the roster unless another CB is brought in.

Other than "draft rights retained", there has been no mention of Carlos. One would assume that he has gone back to university.

As Campbell originally played as a right mid, I would assume he would be used more as competition for right back as opposed to CB.

Looking at the current state of the squad, I would be surprised if any trialists are attacking players. Not counting draft picks, a second keeper would put us at 20 players leaving 3 slots. Assuming Pianelli gets one, the other 2 would likely be defensive players too. Who knows? Hidalgo-Mazzei can play as a LB or as a CB. That seems unlikely though.

Edited by EnigMattic1

I suspect there will be a few trialists in the 23 starting camp - I don't imagine the international players will be in, yet

Still pretty concerned about how this team is lining up. Guess alot of things depend on the quality of the new internationals - i suspect there will be a couple loans coming in at some point before the MLS season starts. 

5 hours ago, top cheese said:

I suspect there will be a few trialists in the 23 starting camp - I don't imagine the international players will be in, yet

Still pretty concerned about how this team is lining up. Guess alot of things depend on the quality of the new internationals - i suspect there will be a couple loans coming in at some point before the MLS season starts. 

How was there open trials ?

8 hours ago, top cheese said:

Valour has had too many issues with international players delayed by visa issues.  Hopefully this year they have these problems all sorted out and their international players are in town for day 1 of training camp.  If the international are attending then it would mean very few trialists.

I am most concerned with the defense.  A couple of Pacific castoffs and some usports draftees do not replace Romeo, Mekideche and Levis -- although I hope they prove me wrong!  As for the offense these unproven international players are a crap shoot.

3 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Valour has had too many issues with international players delayed by visa issues.  Hopefully this year they have these problems all sorted out and their international players are in town for day 1 of training camp.  If the international are attending then it would mean very few trialists.

I am most concerned with the defense.  A couple of Pacific castoffs and some usports draftees do not replace Romeo, Mekideche and Levis -- although I hope they prove me wrong!  As for the offense these unproven international players are a crap shoot.

Going by this logic, it would be something like Levis - Haynes, Romeo - Samake and Mekideche - Pianelli. Honestly? I totally agree with you there. And the fact that something like 28 of our goals last season came from players who are no longer at the club is going to be a BIG concern.

As far as the international players go, Rendon, Ponce and Baptiste are already there. That would mean any visa issues would involve Niyongabire, Williams or Siaj.  If we have another Rendon issue, we will be even more stuffed than we already are. Couldn't we have signed at least 1 Canadian striker as cover? I mean, nothing against them, but I can't see de Brienne or Ulloa doing a job up top if anything happened to Ponce and the other 3 had visa issues.

Latest rumour from Valour Fury...

Novak makes sense (has been mentioned more than once earlier on this board).

Tisseur?  (https://www.transfermarkt.us/jordan-tisseur/profil/spieler/654503 -- with U of Montreal more recently, was passed over in the CanPL-USports draft this year)  Is he really a step up from Barker/Artemenko?  I could see Tisseur getting a trial but would be disappointed if he got a contract ahead of even giving the Winnipeggers a chance.

7 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Latest rumour from Valour Fury...

Novak makes sense (has been mentioned more than once earlier on this board).

Tisseur?  (https://www.transfermarkt.us/jordan-tisseur/profil/spieler/654503 -- with U of Montreal more recently, was passed over in the CanPL-USports draft this year)  Is he really a step up from Barker/Artemenko?  I could see Tisseur getting a trial but would be disappointed if he got a contract ahead of even giving the Winnipeggers a chance.

Can I get an Amen?!?

Seriously though, you would have assumed that Barker would have been given a shot given he was the only FC Manitoba player to make team of the year in their division, and I find it hard to believe that, if he hasn't been signed already, di Stefani wouldn't have put in a good word for Artemenko.

Although.........

Connect the dots. Tisseur was born in Quebec, we know from the draft picks alone that PDS likes his Quebecers. Tisseur also has ties to Ottawa Fury where PDS began his coaching career.

Now, Novak. The FORWARD Anthony Novak. The same forward who has scored more CPL goals in the last 4 years than most of our front line combined in ALL competitions. If he was ever an option, WHY THE F**K did we sign Siaj and Niyongabire????? We could have signed 2 defenders instead. Hell, both are internationals, I'd have taken a punt on Schaale (who isn't far off being eligible for Canadian citizenship) or Eriks Santos.

I know Valour Fury has a track record for being reliable, but I hope in this instance, he isn't. Not so much as far as Novak is concerned, that is more frustration on my part than anything. But I would prefer someone like Artemenko or Barker to push Rayane for the #1 spot.

Anyway, rant over.

12 minutes ago, Big_M said:

that would be two players (out of a max twenty one outfield players) who are coming back from heavy injury...risky

If you are referring to Schaale and Eriks Santos, they were just used as examples as they were the first two defenders who came to mind that would have been free.

Yesvak!   Good signing was a beast at Forge and then TBH, didn’t follow him at that Horse team 😀

saw him a few times last year at Forge matches, he looked leaner than when he was at Forge 

Also, no judgment as I do the same, seemed to enjoy the $5 pre game beers 

Glad CPL exists for profiles like his to give a chance and to continue to play and make a living 

4 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Tisseur?  (https://www.transfermarkt.us/jordan-tisseur/profil/spieler/654503 -- with U of Montreal more recently, was passed over in the CanPL-USports draft this year)

Appears Valour has a connection with the goalie coach for U Montreal?   Yesli was the keeper for U Montreal 2019-2020; Tisseur was their keeper for 2022.

Also Yesli and Tisseur will know each other from the Montreal Impact Academy (Yesli departed at the end of 2017; Tisseur at the end of 2018)

Novak fills a void that we’ve mentioned all off season, but I agree that the Siaj signing looks even more unnecessary now.

As for Tisseur, he stood out as a top keeper in the PLSQ last year. It was a matter of time until he got his CPL shot, even though many expected someone with closer ties to Winnipeg.

I'm not sure why we're excited about Novak. He's nearly 30 on a new knee, hasn't played since 2021, and in that season his strike rate with a much better team than ours was hardly better than Walter Ponce or any of the guys we've signed. 

For me, he's the quality of player who has been left behind by the strides forward the league has made. Decent in his prime-age years in the first few seasons of CPL (finishing easy chances on the league's dominant team), but no longer likely to be a difference-maker as a later-career veteran.

As for the backup keeper, put me down for Who Cares.

Edited by jonovision

39 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm not sure why we're excited about Novak. He's nearly 30 on a new knee, hasn't played since 2021, and in that season his strike rate with a much better team than ours was hardly better than Walter Ponce or any of the guys we've signed. 

For me, he's the quality of player who has been left behind by the strides forward the league has made. Decent in his prime-age years in the first few seasons of CPL (finishing easy chances on the league's dominant team), but no longer likely to be a difference-maker as a later-career veteran.

As for the backup keeper, put me down for Who Cares.

I think, for me, the issue with Novak is that it shows there were Canadian options available, yet we decide to take a punt on 2 unproven internationals as backup to our already hit and miss international.

That and the fact that we are still short defensively.

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

Novak fills a void that we’ve mentioned all off season, but I agree that the Siaj signing looks even more unnecessary now.

As for Tisseur, he stood out as a top keeper in the PLSQ last year. It was a matter of time until he got his CPL shot, even though many expected someone with closer ties to Winnipeg.

As far as Tisseur goes, I think a fair few people (myself included) were expecting one of either Barker or Artemenko due to the fact that both are available and both already knew the club. I know it is a small league (and not really comparable to the PLSQ), but Barker put in a decent showing and made team of the year. At the same time, you can't really write either Barker or Artemenko off as flops when neither got a chance to show what they can do during their previous spells at the club.

13 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Usports contract? Does that mean he is or isn't counted in the 23 man roster?

USports still counts on the 23 man roster -- but I believe that it make it cheaper.  Hope that money was not a major issue in making this choice ☹️.  Possibly also gives Valour an option to terminate the contract at the end of August?

Valour Fury rumour proves true again.

For Barker, impressing in training camp last year and doing all he could at FC Manitoba (League All-Star), this must sting.  Hope Barker (and Artemenko) get a chance with another CanPL team this year (Pacific, Vancouver and Cavalry still have only 1 GK named).

Also, Yesli appeared in a Valour FC tweet yesterday so he has returned from France.

Edited by K Edgar

16 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Question: Is this the 1st time a player has signed a "U Sports Developmental" contract without being selected in the CPL-U Sports Draft?

I don't think so. Either way, that is now 20 players confirmed. Assuming Pianelli and Laplante are also offered contracts, that will leave 1 roster slot (unless we count Carlos).

Edited by EnigMattic1