Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

23 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Jaime Siaj has 1 goal in 16 appearances in the last 3 years (according to wiki).

Walter Ponce had 1 goal in 17 games in the 2 seasons prior to joining Valour (he scored 2 in 20 games last year).

Pacifique Niyongabire has 1 goal in the previous 4 YEARS

Kian Williams scored 11 goals in 3 seasons in Iceland.

I hope that PDS and crew know something we do not and these players fill the net.  If not weren't some Canadian forwards available?  Kamara, Novak, Welshman are unsigned and have a decent record for scoring in the CanPL.  Given Valour's track record with foreign players I hope for the best but confidence is very, very low.

20 hours ago, jonovision said:

^ I suppose the club could be hoping for much bigger things from Catavolo this year. We haven't seen a lot of evidence that he's ready for such an opportunity.

I do hope that Catavolo gets an opportunity this year and is able to make the most of it.  I would much rather watch a young Canadian talent develop than an old foreign player collecting his final paycheques (Galhardo was very likable, but yes I am thinking of him as a prime example)

Siaj is a mid 20s forward coming off an unsuccessful stint in Ireland. To me, that is the same resume as Jordan Hamilton, another player whose best seasons were 4-6 years ago, who people may have been excited about coming to the league (but has ultimately been disappointing in CanPL).

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Siaj is a mid 20s forward coming off an unsuccessful stint in Ireland. To me, that is the same resume as Jordan Hamilton, another player whose best seasons were 4-6 years ago, who people may have been excited about coming to the league (but has ultimately been disappointing in CanPL).

Should have taken someone from League1. As I mentioned in a previous post, both HFX and Cavalry have picked up strikers from there for this coming season so there must be someone worth looking at. Sure, it isn't the same level, but at least it would be easier to get an assessment of their abilities compared to someone from abroad who will take up an international slot. And, realistically, they would probably want less in wages too. That is always a bonus for our owners.

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Ok, this is going by Transfermarkt.

Jaime Siaj - 13 goals in 72 games since 2017 (.18 goals/game)

Walter Ponce - 8 goals in 85 games since 2015 (.09 goals/game)

Pacifique Niyongabire - 1 goal in 41 games since 2018 (.02 goals/game)

Kian Williams - 16 goal in 76 senior games since 2018 (.21 goals/game)

Doesn't look that promising.

.. the Canadian portion of Valour's offense.

de Brienne 3 goals in 22 games since 2022 (.14 goals/game)

Catavolo 0 goals in 16 games since 2022 (0 goals/game)

Total: .65 goals/game... the defense better be outstanding! ☹️

Edited by K Edgar

5 hours ago, K Edgar said:

.. the Canadian portion of Valour's offense.

de Brienne 3 goals in 22 games since 2022 (.14 goals/game)

Catavolo 0 goals in 16 games since 2022 (0 goals/game)

Total: .65 goals/game... the defense better be outstanding! ☹️

de Brienne with 3x as many goals in one season as Niyongabire has in 4 years!!

I still have concerns over the defence. I mean, still only 1 keeper and this will be his first full season. AJB will have to get used to a new partner at CB as the previous 3 have all left. totally new full backs too. Ohin better be prepared to play out of his skin to protect that back line.

Honestly, if we don't make the playoffs, we need to gut the squad and start again. Pick some young players with potential who would be more inclined to accept a lower wage and possibly even a multi year deal, and build around them.

5 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I still have concerns over the defence. I mean, still only 1 keeper and this will be his first full season. AJB will have to get used to a new partner at CB as the previous 3 have all left. totally new full backs too. Ohin better be prepared to play out of his skin to protect that back line.

Agreed the lose of three starting defenders is a huge lose.

But the Valour defense is far from set.  Only 3 CB's signed plus potentially Pianelli, at least 1 more CB to be signed, and another LB if LaPlante is not to be signed.  Perhaps next week will include a defense signing announcement.  A strong signing could make the backline salvageable.  Also, Mikhael is still a question mark -- unlikely to be signed before training camp in my opinion.  Perhaps will be invited to camp to compete with Pianelli.

CB's Bissainthe and Higgins from FCEd are not currently signed.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

All of these players seem to have been bench guys, so a per 90 minutes metric seems a lot more appropriate than per game. 

since

goals

games

g/game

mins

g/90min

Siaj

Ponce

Niyongabire

Williams

de Brienne

Catavolo

Total moves from 0.65 goals/game to 1.18 goals/90min.  Stats still says Valour needs a strong defense!

7 hours ago, K Edgar said:

since

goals

games

g/game

mins

g/90min

Siaj

Ponce

Niyongabire

Williams

de Brienne

Catavolo

Total moves from 0.65 goals/game to 1.18 goals/90min.  Stats still says Valour needs a strong defense!

Even with that total, you would expect more from a combined 6 players. All I know is, it's gonna be a LOOOOOOOONG season.

On 1/24/2023 at 4:03 PM, K Edgar said:

"Halifax Wanderers, Valour FC, Cavalry FC and Vancouver FC would not be able to host in the preliminary round of Canadian Championship play because of stadium availability and weather considerations."

1st round is April 18-20, snow will be gone.  Just don't want to open the stadium?

First home game is Apr 22 at 6pm.  What was the problem with Apr 18-20, is it much warmer 2 days later?

17 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So what's the opinion on the rumours of Akio apparently being sent out on loan because he spends too much time down the pub?

Akio seems like a responsible young player.  May have been a minor thing but the perception of the situation may be worse than the reality of it.  Likely not the only reason for his loan.

20 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So what's the opinion on the rumours of Akio apparently being sent out on loan because he spends too much time down the pub?

Meh.  Small town rumours.  More likely he was itching for more playing time and RC looked to accomodate.  

That said it's clear Akio is a social creature.  Not saying he was hanging at this or that pub but if he was it doesn't have to mean he was boozing the night away or anything near to that.  It could be simple company and tea or cranberry juice all night long but still, appearances right?

Speaking of Akio being a social creature, Fife is not Ross.  I'd expect most urban Canadians would be way more comfortable in that part of Fife than Dingwall where going for a bite at 11 PM could be quite the task. 

Think they have all sorts of windmills about in both places.  Guess they could have that in common.