Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

9 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I don't think so. Either way, that is now 20 players confirmed. Assuming Pianelli and Laplante are also offered contracts, that will leave 1 roster slot (unless we count Carlos).

3 spots remain.  Assuming the other half of the rumour is correct Novak would take one of those spots.  The 2 remaining spot would HAVE to go to the defense -- Pianelli and Laplante are options along with any potential trialists?  I don't see "right retained" Carlos fitting into the roster this year.

From what was in the Campbell's signing article he will be a CB and not a defensive midfielder this season.  It's the only way Valour can fill their defensive line.

27 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Is it just me or does it appear that Valour has difficulty signing players compared to the other clubs? 

Agree, one of two, players don't want to come to Winnipeg or Valour is going low end on the player budget and can't compete salary wise with the other teams.

17 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Agree, one of two, players don't want to come to Winnipeg or Valour is going low end on the player budget and can't compete salary wise with the other teams.

I'm sure it's both (CPL vets won't have a good impression of the city due to the club cheaping out on accommodations during the bubble kickoff in 2021) but mostly the latter.

22 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

3 spots remain.  Assuming the other half of the rumour is correct Novak would take one of those spots.  The 2 remaining spot would HAVE to go to the defense -- Pianelli and Laplante are options along with any potential trialists?  I don't see "right retained" Carlos fitting into the roster this year.

From what was in the Campbell's signing article he will be a CB and not a defensive midfielder this season.  It's the only way Valour can fill their defensive line.

Yeah, apparently Campbell played as a CB for Galaxy II last year. Doesn't necessarily mean he will do well though. But, given he is naturally a defensive midfielder, he can obviously defend.

23 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Don't forget they only seem to offer 1yr contracts. One thing I noticed when HFX signed Nimick, they had a picture in the article (on the CPL site) listing their current roster with when their guaranteed contract expires and when an optional extension expires. Valour don't disclose any of that.

7 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Makes you wonder why. Fans of Winnipeg's teams always seem to warm to players who give 110%. Selanne and Galan are two who spring to mind.

He said the pandemic tournament didn’t help when players stayed at the Radisson on Portage avenue and were exposed to a lot of poverty. Teams were stuck at the hotel all day and it left a bad impression on people. Winnipeg is a tough sell even without that.

Losing doesn’t help, either.

45 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

He said the pandemic tournament didn’t help when players stayed at the Radisson on Portage avenue and were exposed to a lot of poverty. Teams were stuck at the hotel all day and it left a bad impression on people. Winnipeg is a tough sell even without that.

Losing doesn’t help, either.

And the owners won't speculate to accumulate. The Bombers are the cash cow of the operation.

19 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Wonder who else is there?

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/everyone-looks-sharp-and-the-guys-that-are-back-from-last-year-have-a-real-good-idea-of-what-coach-wants-training-camp

Only trialist mentioned is "Winkler product Alvin Rode" (GK).  Good to have a Manitoban getting some experience.

Not mentioned in the article are Catavolo, Mzoughi and Sanchez, so they may not have been there.  Although Dos Santos mentions the maturity of the U21's so it may just be an omission.  Tisseur is only mentioned as signed so he may not have been in attendance.  All other are referred to as being there.

Edit: Facebook pics include Tisseur and Pianelli

Edited by K Edgar

10 hours ago, K Edgar said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/everyone-looks-sharp-and-the-guys-that-are-back-from-last-year-have-a-real-good-idea-of-what-coach-wants-training-camp

Only trialist mentioned is "Winkler product Alvin Rode" (GK).  Good to have a Manitoban getting some experience.

Not mentioned in the article are Catavolo, Mzoughi and Sanchez, so they may not have been there.  Although Dos Santos mentions the maturity of the U21's so it may just be an omission.  Tisseur is only mentioned as signed so he may not have been in attendance.  All other are referred to as being there.

Can't find any information on Rode (which is annoying). But, there is still a Manitoban in there, so I can't complain (that much).

I've just had a thought. If Tisseur has signed a Usports developmental contract, does that mean it will expire on August 15th as the contracts would if they were drafted? I know players that are drafted sign a Usports developmental contract, but I don't know if the rules are the same if a player signs one without being drafted.

Edited by EnigMattic1

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Source of this one is "A bot that automatically generates football transfer announcements!"  Appears this twitter account spits out an artifical rumour every hour.  Not going to happen but nice that their generating system is thinking of Valour's CB situation...

And, given that he has made 21 appearances for Sassuolo so far this season, I doubt they would loan him out.

That's one of the craziest CPL rumours I've seen, albeit a fake one as I see it's just a completely random made up rumour generator. Probably still no less accurate than some journalists lol

His market value is nealry $3m more than any single CPL squads total player value combined!

Edited by toontownman

4 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he is co-captain this season. By all accounts, he would talk to the players after AJB and Fordy last season.