Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

youth!

Both players will count towards the club’s Canadian Under-21 domestic minutes in 2023.

Juan Pablo Sanchez

Position: Midfielder
Birthday: April 18, 2003
Birthplace: Hartford, USA
Nationality: Canadian
Last Club: SC Salgueiros

Eskander Mzoughi
Position: Defender
Birthday: February 6, 2003
Birthplace: Montreal, Quebec
Nationality: Canadian
Last Club: Oud-Heverlee Leuven

Edited by K Edgar

Might also be worth noting that Mzoughi is a left back, as is Laplante and Haynes. One would assume that either Haynes will play right back or Laplante won't be offered a deal.

Sanchez, however, is a capable central midfielder. Given that the status of Carlos is still unconfirmed (draft rights retained) and Fordy probably wont be back, it is nice to have some options (and u21 minutes).

Now. Can we please get another keeper?????

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

...Last Club: SC Salgueiros...

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a very long time. Formerly fixtures in the Portuguese first division and local rivals to Porto but then lost their stadium and went bankrupt when a new subway station was built or something like that. This is a long winded way of saying that's not as impressive as it once would have been.

So, the current squad consists of 16 players, 2 draft picks and the only goalkeeper (hopefully only) training in France. We obviously need another keeper, there is enough options up front if you count Williams and Niyongabire alongside Ponce.

We still only have 2 out and out centre backs, although you could also take into account that both Baquero and Mzoughi can operate at centre back.

Mzoughi is a funny one though as I have seen conflicting positions across various sources. Some list him as a right footed left back, whereas his agents (Obelisq) list him as a right back. I know who I would be inclined to believe.

Obviously, it is good to see some players signed that will count towards the u21 minute quota, but I can't help but feel we need a couple of more experienced heads in midfield and defence. Still, the open trials are in a few weeks, maybe they will turn up something interesting.

5 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So, the current squad consists of 16 players, 2 draft picks and the only goalkeeper (hopefully only) training in France. We obviously need another keeper, there is enough options up front if you count Williams and Niyongabire alongside Ponce.

Your count of 16 does not include Carlos -- right retained but not signed.  Also no final word has been given of Mekideche (trial in KC), Mikhael (rough 2022 season), Fordyce (retired?) and Esparza (not really worth mentioning)

I would not be surprised if for GK Valour do not sign a 2nd prior to training camp but bring in 2 or 3 on trial.  Included in the trial would be Barker who must be the favourite to land the job.

Up front Valour have Williams (AM), Catavolo (AM), Niyongabire (RW), de Brienne (LW) and Ponce (CF).  They definitely need another option or two in my humble opinion.

52 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Your count of 16 does not include Carlos -- right retained but not signed.  Also no final word has been given of Mekideche (trial in KC), Mikhael (rough 2022 season), Fordyce (retired?) and Esparza (not really worth mentioning)

I would not be surprised if for GK Valour do not sign a 2nd prior to training camp but bring in 2 or 3 on trial.  Included in the trial would be Barker who must be the favourite to land the job.

Up front Valour have Williams (AM), Catavolo (AM), Niyongabire (RW), de Brienne (LW) and Ponce (CF).  They definitely need another option or two in my humble opinion.

Yeah, my count of 16 does not include the likes of Carlos, Meki, Mikhael, Fordy and Jonny 1 minute. Assuming 4 of those 5 return, that only leaves 3 roster slots available, 2 unsigned draft picks and only 1 goalkeeper.

There has been no announcement on Artemenko signing anywhere yet either, so one would assume that di Stefani would probably get him in for the trial alongside Barker. I guess Jacob Tsai could also be a (very) long shot.

Yeah, I get where you are coming from. I guess, in my head, I just class "up front" as the striker(s). If I was to count all the forwards, as you pointed out, you also have Catavolo and de Brienne.

I am starting to wonder how hard it would actually be to build a 23 man roster. I mean, in Europe, you can just call up a reserve or youth player and there isn't a limit to how many games the youth player can play. You would have to find the perfect balance of strength and depth, especially without any sort of reserve side available.

54 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Fordyce retirement is official.

Surprised it took this long to be announced personally. Especially when he said that he didn't even intend to play last season but his wife convinced him to have one last crack at the playoffs. Will actually miss him this coming season, he genuinely seemed to give a damn and was a well liked senior figure in the dressing room.

Now, given that Ohin has been "finding his voice in the dressing room", will he become the new co-captain?

Current Valour roster

- positions from transfermarkt or a best guess at times
- ages of the 4 U21 players indicated
- first name included for 9 new players
- (U) indicates the 3 unsigned u-sports
- (??) for 1 best guess and 1 rumour (I know, but the source has been correct before)

16 players signed; 21 players are listed; still short at CB and a forward?

image.png.24a36f845e873345a7cf6148138f4545.png

4 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Current Valour roster

- (??) for 1 best guess and 1 rumour (I know, but the source has been correct before)

Some reports list Mzoughi as a right back so, for the purpose of squad depth, you could move him over there. Sanchez is considered a #8/#10. So he could likely be up with Catavolo and Williams.

Assuming the draft prospects are signed, Valour need to take a look at the wings, strikers, centre back and a keeper. Although, I can't see Carlos getting signed unless one of the other midfielders plays in a different position as you wouldn't, logically, sign 6 midfielders when you only play 2 (classing the Catavolo/Williams position as 'attacker') as that would leave you short in other areas.

There are other options for right wing in Williams, Gutierrez or even Rendon should needs must. Williams and Niyongabire are also options for a striker. Should he return, Ulloa can play on either wing and Catavolo could do a job out on the left if needed.

As a whole, there are a number of versatile players in the squad. The priority now is to focus on the positions that we have no other option in. That being in goal (I know everyone expects Barker to return but, just in case) and centre back. Once we have a player to strengthen those 2 roles, we can then look at the other "weak" areas - LW, SC, RB, RW.

Edited by EnigMattic1

16 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Current Valour roster

Team doesn't look very strong. Hopefully find some gems in the rough 

6 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Must admit, I am actually happy that Fordy is sticking around in a non-playing capacity. He is the sort of player that you want coaching the youngsters. Now, if only Galan can come back once he decides to hang up his boots.....

Fordyce is going to have gang of connections to former players and coaches abroad whether that's in northern Ireland, England, US / USL etc .. should be able to find opportunities 

He spent most of his career with Linfield and Glentoran who are semi-pro clubs in a league that has seen better days in terms of fan interest thanks to Sky TV coverage of the English Premiership so his best bet is probably something at the youth/academy sort of level in Canada. From what I've read in the past the move to Edmonton was all about using soccer to get away from Northern Ireland after his playing days.