Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

4 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Yesli

Baquero   AJB   Samake   Haynes

Ohin     Gutierrez

Niyongabire  Williams  deBrienne

Ponce

Samake could be replace by CB signing still to come, Niyongabire or Ulloa could go either way

See, I could go with that, but I am not entirely convinced with Baquero as RB. For me, he is more of a holding midfielder.

I am also not sold on Niyongabire over Ulloa but, at the same time, you could swap him with Williams and have Williams out wide with Niyongabire as the second striker.

Up top, there is nobody that I am confident will get goals. I am surprised Vancouver were able to get Shaan Hundal. He could have been a better option than Ponce and Siaj combined.

Overall, I can't help but think this is a weaker team than previous seasons. On the flip side, if HFX have a good season, it may encourage other CPL managers to sit up and take notice of L1O players.

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Overall, I can't help but think this is a weaker team than previous seasons.

Can't help but agree.  Perhaps they will surprise us.  Nice to see they have a good number of Canadian U21 players (de Brienne, Catavolo, Ulloa, Sanchez, Mzoughi) hope they progress and contribute.

Anyone heard any news about training camp?  Start date must be fairly soon.  Interested to hear their list of friendlies (trip to BC or ON?) and of course their trialists.

30 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Other than the lack of Montreal loanees (and Sirois tailed off significantly last year), I don't see this year's team as that far behind the 2022 edition. 

Do you think the replacements will have the same impact as the starters who left? 

25 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Do you think the replacements will have the same impact as the starters who left? 

GK: Sirois - Yesli appears to be a solid replacement, backup of Barker (?) from his FCManitoba play should be a solid backup - verdict: even

Defense: Romeo, Mekideche, Levis - that is a huge loss, I don't see the addition of Samake, Haynes and Pianelli forming as solid a back line.  More CB reinforcements coming? - verdict: significant loss

Up front: Rea, Dyer - many new faces in the attacking area.  Perhaps not of Rea and Dyer's quality but hopefully better than Riggi and Forbes - verdict: small gain

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

GK: Sirois - Yesli appears to be a solid replacement, backup of Barker (?) from his FCManitoba play should be a solid backup - verdict: even

Defense: Romeo, Mekideche, Levis - that is a huge loss, I don't see the addition of Samake, Haynes and Pianelli forming as solid a back line.  More CB reinforcements coming? - verdict: significant loss

Up front: Rea, Dyer - many new faces in the attacking area.  Perhaps not of Rea and Dyer's quality but hopefully better than Riggi and Forbes - verdict: small gain

If we get a full season of a healthy AJB then the loss of the two other CBs isn't so significant. I don't think that's in the cards though. Levis is a big loss on the left. Not for his defensive work, which was not that impressive, but his other contributions.

There are other little plusses and minuses in the roster too: someone will be taking over Fordyce's minutes and presumably it will be someone who can still cover ground on the pitch. Ohin adds depth in midfield.

14 hours ago, K Edgar said:

He put in some decent performances for FC Manitoba but we never got to see what he could do for Valour because of the cup elimination. Anyone else think Artemenko could still be an option?

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

If we get a full season of a healthy AJB then the loss of the two other CBs isn't so significant. I don't think that's in the cards though. Levis is a big loss on the left. Not for his defensive work, which was not that impressive, but his other contributions.

There are other little plusses and minuses in the roster too: someone will be taking over Fordyce's minutes and presumably it will be someone who can still cover ground on the pitch. Ohin adds depth in midfield.

To be fair, we have had some poor luck with injuries. Without Baptiste for an extended period and Ohin for the whole of last season. I just hope it doesn't take too long for Ohin to find his feet again. He is still my pick for co-captain this year.

13 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

He put in some decent performances for FC Manitoba but we never got to see what he could do for Valour because of the cup elimination. Anyone else think Artemenko could still be an option?

Artemenko and Barker are Valour's obvious choices for GK camp invitees to complete for the #2 spot (and possibly the starter for FC Manitoba?) in my opinion.  But, there are still a number of other CanPL teams with only 1 GK on the roster (Pac, Van, Cav, For, Hfx) so it is possible one (or both) could have offers from other teams.  Would be great to see both Winnipeg GKs find a spot on a CanPL roster!

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Artemenko and Barker are Valour's obvious choices for GK camp invitees to complete for the #2 spot (and possibly the starter for FC Manitoba?) in my opinion.  But, there are still a number of other CanPL teams with only 1 GK on the roster (Pac, Van, Cav, For, Hfx) so it is possible one (or both) could have offers from other teams.  Would be great to see both Winnipeg GKs find a spot on a CanPL roster!

Shame they can't both be at Valour. That would be something to get the fans onside. I genuinely believe that teams should try to have at least one "local lad" in the squad as it really gives the fans someone to get behind.

5 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I genuinely believe that teams should try to have at least one "local lad" in the squad as it really gives the fans someone to get behind.

We've got Josh Heard and Sean Young at Pacific, but I keep hoping they'd at least give another kid a look. Show young players and fans that the pathway is there

24 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

We've got Josh Heard and Sean Young at Pacific, but I keep hoping they'd at least give another kid a look. Show young players and fans that the pathway is there

Exactly! This is precisely what I mean. If a kid can see a player who grew up in the same town/city, playing for the first team, it gives that kid an extra little incentive by showing that it can be done.

37 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Last year Pacific had Bustos and Mukumbilwa more Winnipeg talent than Valour. :(

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Last year Pacific had Bustos and Mukumbilwa more Winnipeg talent than Valour. :(

Technically, it would have been the same. Despite not being born in Winnipeg, both Ohin and Pena consider themselves as Winnipeggers. But I know that isn't the same as someone who was "born down the road" so to speak.

It's also even more annoying when you realise that Bustos played for Valour and Mukumbilwa was at the training camp one year. Wasn't Dylan Carriero a Winnipegger too?

At least it isn't just soccer. The Jets don't have any Winnipeggers on their books this season and the Bombers only have 4 that I am aware of.

Edited by EnigMattic1

7 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Shame they can't both be at Valour. That would be something to get the fans onside. I genuinely believe that teams should try to have at least one "local lad" in the squad as it really gives the fans someone to get behind.

Yes, we all couldn't get enough of Federico Pena!

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

Yes, we all couldn't get enough of Federico Pena!

I'd take a Pena over an Esparza any day of the week 🤣

I was looking last into older matches earlier, and a match vs Cavalry back in '19 had 4 Winnipeggers in the starting XI and 3 (if you include Ohin and Artemenko) on the bench.

On 2/6/2023 at 2:21 AM, EnigMattic1 said:

I'd take a Pena over an Esparza any day of the week 🤣

I was looking last into older matches earlier, and a match vs Cavalry back in '19 had 4 Winnipeggers in the starting XI and 3 (if you include Ohin and Artemenko) on the bench.

I don't think having Winnipeggers in the team moves the needle much on the ticket sales side of things, which is probably a more important outcome this year than having a successful year in the standings (though of course the two are not unconnected).

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I don't think having Winnipeggers in the team moves the needle much on the ticket sales side of things, which is probably a more important outcome this year than having a successful year in the standings (though of course the two are not unconnected).

Yep. The only thing that would do that is a "known name" player or two to spike neutral interest. That and a ton of marketing. There is no doubt the match experience and quality of play can turn people on or off too. It's almost impossible to win over the EPL/Euro snob fanbase. Clubs shouldn't be trying either imo. Those that buy into grassroots and ground level local enterprises will come and those that look down on it won't.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Yep. The only thing that would do that is a "known name" player or two to spike neutral interest. That and a ton of marketing. There is no doubt the match experience and quality of play can turn people on or off too. It's almost impossible to win over the EPL/Euro snob fanbase. Clubs shouldn't be trying either imo. Those that buy into grassroots and ground level local enterprises will come and those that look down on it won't.

I am encouraged that as a non-STH but sometimes-single-game-ticket-buyer that I have been marketed to through the mail more than once this offseason, pushing half- and full-season ticket packages.

Edited by jonovision

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

3 games in 6 days to start the season

Apr 16, 2023 1:00 PM ET - CPL - at York United (York Lions Stadium)
Apr 19, 2023 7:30 PM PT - Can Champ - at TSS Rovers (Swangard Stadium)
Apr 22, 2023 6:00 PM CT - CPL - vs Ottawa (IG Field)

Should get to see close to the entire roster play.

Same defensive unit for each game, but a totally different attacking unit each time 🤣.

Honestly, I am not even optimistic about beating TSS Rovers at the moment. I just can't understand the squad. It still needs a LOT of work and I think there have been too many "wrong" signings already made.

5 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

It seems that Henry is no longer with the Montréal Academy, a free agent therefore no loan, can sign where he wants.

Each CPL team must have 3 U21 Canadian players on their roster this year.  Valour already have 4.  Most other teams are still looking to fill their allotment so Mael Henry will be in demand.

4 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Same defensive unit for each game, but a totally different attacking unit each time 🤣.

Honestly, I am not even optimistic about beating TSS Rovers at the moment. I just can't understand the squad. It still needs a LOT of work and I think there have been too many "wrong" signings already made.

I think "wrong" or bad signings are part of the package when you're a CPL team (other than Forge, of course). Players that are obviously good are not likely to end up at Valour or HFX or most of the sides in the league.

And the ones that turn out to be Not Bad don't make themselves known until a ball is kicked. There will surely even be a few of those this year.

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think "wrong" or bad signings are part of the package when you're a CPL team (other than Forge, of course). Players that are obviously good are not likely to end up at Valour or HFX or most of the sides in the league.

And the ones that turn out to be Not Bad don't make themselves known until a ball is kicked. There will surely even be a few of those this year.

I guess, by "wrong", I am looking at the attacking players that don't seem to know where the net is. I mean, when you have lost your top scorer, who takes a punt on a player with 1 goal in 41 games? I am still curious as to how Beckford and Ferrin are going to perform this year for Cavalry and HFX as they both came from the "forbidden" realm of L1O.

And, as far as Forge go, the core of that team was from Sigma anyway. even 2 of the players Bobby signed from the States last year had been Sigma players at some point. But, when you start with a core of players who are familiar with the philosophy of the manager anyway, it doesn't matter where they come from, they will already have an advantage.