Amir Batyrev

2002 Midfielder playing for PFC Sochi in Russian Premier League.  Has made 2 appearances off the bench so far this season.  Big step up from Russian 3rd tier where he was last season. Deserves his own thread if he is playing in a decent tier 1 European league.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/amir-batyrev/profil/spieler/951293

I had just started creating this thread.  It also helps that he is a central midfielder as we still could use some depth there.  Unfortunately or fortunately, depending how you look at it.  Transfermarkt has him listed as primarily an attacking midfielder.

Born in Toronto but like most of our players, he is a dual national.  Parents are from Russia.

Edited by Corazon

Sochi finished 2nd last season. They seem to be a really good team, and they play in a beautiful stadium. Never heard of them before last month, probably because they were founded in 2018. Well, it's a little bit more complex, from what I understand FC Dynamo Saint Petersburg relocated to Sochi, but still exist. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFC_Sochi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Dynamo_Saint_Petersburg

Edited by MauditYvon

• 5 weeks later...

Torpedo just got promoted to the RSL, so they’re not a bad team at all. I hope the NT is keeping their eye on this kid. If we lose a promising dual national whose other nation can’t even play in world competitions for the next little while, that’ll be such a fumble. A kid starting in the RSL is a very good sign, I hope he makes a move abroad in the Not to distant future though.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

“Canada Soccer gives equal opportunity to those playing in the Russian League”

- Richlord Ennin

I mean, I don't think Richie Ennin was good enough for a call up earlier this year, and that was also at the time where everything from Russia, down to touring musicians were being banned in Canada, so unless Ennin is the next superstar, it wouldn't be worth the headache for a team that caused a national incident with the Iran friendly. I think the complete ban of everything Russian has softened in recent time, but also, I'm assum,ing he will eventually more on from Sochi if he's good enough too.

Edited by InglewoodJack

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I mean, I don't think Richie Ennin was good enough for a call up earlier this year, and that was also at the time where everything from Russia, down to touring musicians were being banned in Canada, so unless Ennin is the next superstar, it wouldn't be worth the headache for a team that caused a national incident with the Iran friendly. I think the complete ban of everything Russian has softened in recent time, but also, I'm assum,ing he will eventually more on from Sochi if he's good enough too.

I think there was a time when he was doing well enough in the Russian top flight to justify giving him a look.  Not saying he should have been brought into WCQ games but it seemed like he would have been worth assessing up close.   

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think there was a time when he was doing well enough in the Russian top flight to justify giving him a look.  Not saying he should have been brought into WCQ games but it seemed like he would have been worth assessing up close.   

A look, yeah, and I think that he certainly would've been in the conversation with guys like Corbeanu (when he was very uneven for MK Dons), Jayden Nelson, Mitrovic, ZBG, etc. where it's like, take him or leave him, but unfortunate for him, beyond playing in Russia, he's not a threat to commit elsewhere, so not really a reason to give him a roster spot. If he was playing for a similar team in Belgium or maybe even Turkey, I think we're having a different conversation. He's been looking solid in Hungary this year, I still think he deserves to be monitored, if he takes a step, he'll definitely be in the fold.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/5/2023 at 10:40 AM, Buchta said:

Also does anyone else kinda see this as wanting to play for Canada? Living in playing in Russia would Restrain you from saying anything like “I only want to play for Canada” but the fact that he didn’t shut it down is quite interesting to me.

3 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Also does anyone else kinda see this as wanting to play for Canada? Living in playing in Russia would Restrain you from saying anything like “I only want to play for Canada” but the fact that he didn’t shut it down is quite interesting to me.

Just a standard stock answer that many players use. Never seen him play, but if he has quality, its harsh to shut him out because of where he plays. He's just trying to earn a living and get his pro career going. Perhaps one of our Canadian teams can sign him?

29 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Of course he wants to play for Canada. Russia isn’t even currently a national team while we’re already qualified for 2026. 

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

Seems like a good prospect in a position of need but doubt he’ll even get a sniff of the NT unless he leaves Russia

Shamar Nicholson plays for Spartak Moscow still as far as I know and it hasn't impacted his involvement with Jamaica in CONCACAF. He recently played for them in the Gold Cup. Why must this guy leave Russia to get a sniff of our NT?

What is the difference between us and Jamaica? We both play in CONCACAF. The travel is basically the same. The level of both pools is basically the same (I think we are better and deeper, but they've done some great recruiting lately). 

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Shamar Nicholson plays for Spartak Moscow still as far as I know and it hasn't impacted his involvement with Jamaica in CONCACAF. He recently played for them in the Gold Cup. Why must this guy leave Russia to get a sniff of our NT?

What is the difference between us and Jamaica? We both play in CONCACAF. The travel is basically the same. The level of both pools is basically the same (I think we are better and deeper, but they've done some great recruiting lately). 

While Canada is not at war with Russia, we have clearly come down on the side of Ukraine in this one. I'm not sure what Jamaica's diplomatic position is on the Russian invasion of a sovereign neighbour.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

While Canada is not at war with Russia, we have clearly come down on the side of Ukraine in this one. I'm not sure what Jamaica's diplomatic position is on the Russian invasion of a sovereign neighbour.

Good point. Canada is part of NATO (which is at War with Russia for all intents and purposes). Jamaica is not part of NATO, so that's a potential difference. 

Still, are we that entrentched in the conflict that our national team players cannot play in that division (RPL)? 

Netherlands are a NATO member and as a Western European country who I assume are more involved than we are, though I could be mistaken. Quincy Promes still plays for them, although his calls to the Dutch NT dried up in 2021. Not sure how much of that is just football though. Netherlands are a damn good team. 

Another example - Christopher Martins. Very much part of the Luxenbourg setup and playing for Spartak Moscow. Luxenbourg are a NATO member.

All of that said, maybe there'd be a combination of travel and geopolitics that would keep Amir off the Canadian radar, but am not convinced of that theory at the moment. On paper he should be considered and we need depth so hopefully playing in the RPL isn't a strike against him. It's a good level for a team like Canada.