CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver

15 hours ago, AY0 said:

What disappointing is, the fact that I bought Red+Gold and I haven't received a code. The fact that its been 3 days and I've sent 3 emails. THATS DISAPONTING. 

yeah, soccer canada really needs to get more professional here and have better admin over the program

Even though I got burned by the RedWhite sameday sign up. I kinda see their side of it. You had the potential of a mass ticket scalping scam on your hands. $50 spread out over 9 tickets is nothing for some throwing tickets on the secondary market. 

Edited by SpursFlu

Sorry for nerding out about ticket sales but they just opened up a bit of the corner now! 

think they will have no trouble selling the lower bowl seats reserved for 2 match packs (even if they decouple them closer to the match)

EDIT: Opened up everything except the upper ends!!

Edited by Yoginess

There are still many tickets available for the two-match pack in the lower bowl, midday on the first day of General Sales. 

Two-match packs are not available for the upper bowl, which has only been opened up for the Iran game. 

For Curaçao, still over half the lower bowl looks available. Including centre line down low at just over 100 dollars a ticket.

As we stand it looks like a sell-out or close for the Iran match (54,500 is capacity), and a partial lower bowl for Curaçao, perhaps half or a bit more. 

Could Curaçao have been priced more favourably?

Since a lot doesn't happen in Vancouver a sold out BC Place should leave the city buzzing. I would expect a lot people will be buying Curacao tickets post the Iran game. I would bet on a sold out or close to that lower bowl for that game

Let's all not forget the Xfactor.. there's still is no confirmation of Phonzie. When if that happens, that's a big deal around these parts

Edited by SpursFlu

10 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Since a lot doesn't happen in Vancouver a sold out BC Place should leave the city buzzing. I would expect a lot people will be buying Curacao tickets post the Iran game. I would bet on a sold out or close to that lower bowl for that game

Let's all not forget the Xfactor.. there's still is no confirmation of Phonzie. When if that happens, that's a big deal around these parts

Right.

People are buying for a friendly. Even hosting the weakest team in the Octo we knew some of our stars would be playing, fans were sure to see some of the better players. Here we have no idea who might be called in and who will play.

So basically, as we sit, this is the best selling game of the last year in Canada. Even better than Edmonton, where the Davies homecoming was presented front and centre from the first moment.

I am saying this also aware that many fans could be there to support Iran. 

Vancouver fans have been abused by the indifference of the Whitecaps ownership, but this could demonstrate how knowledgable they really are. They understand that the main friendly is the match that is the key prep for Qatar. And it is where we'd expect to see the star players, because the Curaçao match is more accessible and should be won with a mix of regulars and new faces.

4 hours ago, Yoginess said:

I’m sure there will be a strong Iranian cheering crowd but nowhere near to what Mexico had for the WCQ

i wonder if a Fifa delegation will be attending the game, as an evaluation since vancouver jumped back in the host city competition

21 minutes ago, red card said:

My educated guess says Persians numbers will be the same or higher than Mexico.

I was at that game and there wasn't thar many Mexicans. I would say 20 - 30% max

I would say this game 10 - 20% Iranians

I feel a bit salty flavor in the air. What's up?

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, cornerkick said:

does anyone follow the Iranian squad closely?  I've heard of Azmoun and Jakanbash (sp?) but not familiar with their manager and the domestic players. 

I work with a lot of people from China and Vietnam who follow Asian Soccer  or more bet on it tobe honest and they have told next to Japan, Iran is a Asian powerhouse and are from pushovers. I think this is agreat test for us 

9 hours ago, Yoginess said:

I’m sure there will be a strong Iranian cheering crowd but nowhere near to what Mexico had for the WCQ

hm... not a logical comment. There are at least 100,000 Iranians in Vancouver compared to around 10,000 Mexicans. 

On top of that Iranians from LA (which number in the millions) and the rest of Canada will also be joining. 

Virtually every fellow Iranian I know is part of a group of 9+ people that will be going to this match. Without knowing any details and just judging this based on anecdotal evidence, I'd say the VAST majority of the stadium will be supporting Iran.

5 hours ago, cornerkick said:

does anyone follow the Iranian squad closely?  I've heard of Azmoun and Jakanbash (sp?) but not familiar with their manager and the domestic players. 

Most of the squad plays in Europe, but obviously not top teams. That said, our best player is currently Taremi. He's Porto's top scorer two seasons running. And I think top assists as well. He scored a banger against Chelsea in the Champions League. 

Here's a decent overview

2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I work with a lot of people from China and Vietnam who follow Asian Soccer  or more bet on it tobe honest and they have told next to Japan, Iran is a Asian powerhouse and are from pushovers. I think this is agreat test for us 

Iran has a better head to head against every single Asian team except for Japan (I believe it's either Japan or Saudi) and only by 1 match. Before losing to South Korea in this edition of the qualifiers (after we had already qualified), we were on a 6 straight winning streak against South Korea (home and away). 

Most outsiders think Korea and Japan are better simply because foreign leagues prefer players from Korea and Japan for financial reasons. A Korean or Japanese player will sell boat loads of jerseys in Asia and increase the fan base of the Euro team exponentially (think of the TV deals in Korea, Japan and the rest of East Asia). Iran is sanctioned and there is no market there. There is zero financial incentive to bring on an Iranian player. That said, we do have the likes of Taremi that get their chances because of pure talent. 

Iran has been Asia's number 1 ranked team for probably 2 straight decades. 

Iran vs. Canada

I will be there with 9 other Iranians (15 if the rest can find tickets). 

My prediction: hard to say tbh. It's the first warm-up match. If we have everybody in, probably 1-0 or 2-0 Iran. 

Edited by Dooghkor

There isn't a chance in hell the vast majority of the stadium will be supporting Iran. Also, it's much closer to 50K Iranians in the Greater Vancouver Area, not 100K. The only article that states the 100K number has 0 sourcing and doesn't pass the sniff test.

I wasn't able to grab tickets until early this afternoon and I was pretty shocked at how well ticket sales were doing. I'm sure there will be a decent Iranian contingent, but a combo of a Sunday game and a much more name opponent helps a ton.

30 minutes ago, keysersoze said:

There isn't a chance in hell the vast majority of the stadium will be supporting Iran. Also, it's much closer to 50K Iranians in the Greater Vancouver Area, not 100K. The only article that states the 100K number has 0 sourcing and doesn't pass the sniff test.

I wasn't able to grab tickets until early this afternoon and I was pretty shocked at how well ticket sales were doing. I'm sure there will be a decent Iranian contingent, but a combo of a Sunday game and a much more name opponent helps a ton.

The 2016 census is outdated and even if we go with that, the numbers aren't accurate. Whenever I've checked ethnicity boxes, I've rarely had the option of ticking "Iranian". It's always West Asian. But even if we go with the 50k number (I definitely think that's a small number) as opposed to the 100k number, that's still 5 times more than the number of Mexicans in Vancouver. 

If 1/4 of the stadium were Mexican in the game against Mexico then you do the math. 

I still remember my grade 10 math class (WV high) in the 2000s. 1/3 of the class was Iranian. We often slip under the radar in BC. People don't realize how many of us are out here. 

Edit: 

We'll have to wait until August to get the fresh data, but honestly even those will be low-balls. 

image.png.61cfdf18311f72aafb79eac2b5b3ddc4.png

Edited by Dooghkor

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Well there you go Vancouver.  Dooghkor laid the smack down, he thinks the VAST majority at the game will be supporting Iran.  Its been awhile since CDN fans were outnumbered at home...are you guys in BC going to let this happen??  😉

It looked like we were outnumbered at BMO vs El Salvador, but that, as you say, was a long time ago 

• Unnamed Trialist changed the title to CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver