CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver

38 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

So tickets haven't been released to the general public yet and the lower bowl is sold out? Is that because it was released to Whitecaps season ticket holders?

Based on Team Melli football forums and given Curacao match isn't selling as well, it's from the Persian community. Sample of comments:

12 flying in Montreal, relatives/friends flying in Toronto & LA, university buddies from Seattle, relatives from Germany,  Asian Cup in Australia and World Cup in Russia all taken over by Iranians, Vancouver is next.

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

So tickets haven't been released to the general public yet and the lower bowl is sold out? Is that because it was released to Whitecaps season ticket holders?

delete

Edited by red card

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have the same question: what were Caps fans offered? How many responded? 

If they're going to Canada fans and soccer fans in general, I'm pleased. 

Whitecaps had a 2 game discount at 25%.  Which is what I think killed the supporters section. 

254 sold out very fast, and I think that is what happened. 

It is very disappointing. 

Ok.. yah i don't think it's any of that or Iranians buying all the tickets. I just guarantee that Whitecaps season ticket holders loaded up because they know the demand will be huge. I sold a bunch of Voyageurs section tickets.

I didn't bother with Whitecaps til because my seaso  tickets are under a buddy so I didn't even get the info. I haven't bothered with the Curaçao game yet but I'll be there

Edited by SpursFlu

10 minutes ago, Admin said:

Whitecaps had a 2 game discount at 25%.  Which is what I think killed the supporters section. 

First off, it is not over yet.

Second, as I say, I never received an email. Perhaps there are casual Voyageurs who are not in urgency mode and may have bought with an email encouraging them. The time frame is very tight. There is hardly time for Vs in Alberta or back east to arrange travel. 

Third, also helps being on the ground. I know Jamie spends periods in Van, that is where I met him years ago, but I am not sure how connected he or any admins here are to the supporter groups in Van. A few simple conversations may have helped and may still help.

Finally, if sales stay slow, see if one-time or occasional Southsiders or guys from other current or former supporter groups would like to pick up tix, extending their section and ours. Solid supporters, are going to support like hell, perfectly compatible with the Voyageurs. I hope most would agree. Also, see if buyers in our sections would like to have more tickets.

But give it some time, then make the next move. You've been in official WC qualifying mode for months, intensely, and now we are in friendly mode (and then Curaçao, a match there is no urgency for). So the dynamic is obviously different, just get used to a different way of working.

All cities are like this but Vancouver is famous for being a "walk-up" city. It's really tough to sell tickets before an event and it things often don't look good until a couple days before. However, once there is some hype around an event, everyone jumps aboard. 

2 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

All cities are like this but Vancouver is famous for being a "walk-up" city. It's really tough to sell tickets before an event and it things often don't look good until a couple days before. However, once there is some hype around an event, everyone jumps aboard. 

No this is different.  We have sold 2k tickets in the supporters section before.  

People just didn't buy our tickets. Given that people buy 3-5 tickets, all it would take is 100 people to buy in a CR program and another 100 to buy Caps sale tickets.  That is the difference between us being where we are and selling out most of the section

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if they both sold out.  I think due to PTSD, we are all way underestimating the demand caused by the World Cup qualifying.  The images that people saw on their tv’s from Edmonton, Toronto and the wall to wall media coverage have made people want to be part of it and for those on the west coast, this is the first time they can partake in that.

I don’t live in Canada but my brother (who is not a soccer fan) keeps telling me that people are still talking about it.  I thought the survey someone posted here a week or so back that shows that in the World Cup most Canadians are going to back the team is indicative.  In 86, that clearly wasn’t the case.  Very few really cared.

Even outside of Canada, people in my friend group are talking to me about it (even non-Canadians!) and most are in the soccer is for wimps crowd.  It’s a pretty amazing and compelling story.

21 hours ago, cornerkick said:

there's a sizable Iranian community in the lower mainland.  I'm not sure if it's comparable Toronto or Montreal, but I could see a good turnout for this match.  There will be good support for Iran..but maybe not as much as say 4 years ago due to progress of CanMNT in the last 2 years.

Don’t underestimate that many Iranians will come from Toronto and Montreal to watch this game .

2 hours ago, Admin said:

What disappointing is, the fact that I bought Red+Gold and I haven't received a code. The fact that its been 3 days and I've sent 3 emails. THATS DISAPONTING. 

7 minutes ago, AY0 said:

What disappointing is, the fact that I bought Red+Gold and I haven't received a code. The fact that its been 3 days and I've sent 3 emails. THATS DISAPONTING. 

Sent you our codes, check Spam folder for email from them.

We have the only tickets left in the lower bowl, so get some of those and join us.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Right but Vancouver just sold 27k tickets in 24hrs on a pre sale for a game that was announced 3 days ago. Or am I missing something?

No, they didn't.  I've just logged in using my Whitecaps pre-sale code.  Half the lower bowl is still available.  That's selecting the "two game" ticket option.  It's possible that single game tickets for Iran have sold out, but there's tons of tickets available.

55 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

No, they didn't.  I've just logged in using my Whitecaps pre-sale code.  Half the lower bowl is still available.  That's selecting the "two game" ticket option.  It's possible that single game tickets for Iran have sold out, but there's tons of tickets available.

Can you take a screen shot of that?

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

So isn't that what I said which is just based on the information here on the forum? The lower bowl is basically sold out for the Iran game and tickets go on sale to the public tomorrow 

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

So isn't that what I said which is just based on the information here on the forum? The lower bowl is basically sold out for the Iran game and tickets go on sale to the public tomorrow 

I think what he means is that different presale link/codes show you different things.  

Many seats were reserved for only 2 game sales.  So if you log in with one link/code you don't see them. 

I just want to see a screen shot of it.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I stand corrected.  I just noticed that it gave the option for the "2 match pack" and then defaulted to the Caracao game.  

I think for the 2 match pack, your first photo (2 posts above) is correct. I'm guessing the reason why it defaulted to the Curacao match when you checked again later is because they've now taken the 2 match packs offline until 10:00 PT today. I think all those alternating rows are 2 match pack seats, which means they're unsold lower bowl seats for the Iran game (as of right now, anyway).

Edited by Neil R.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

image.png.aae29ccd60d14343298edc27eb5feed0.png

I think you were right the first time and I saw this too. Although it says Jun 9, it is clearly labeled for the 2 match pack. If you zoom in it is basically every other row that has seats availiable.
I bought non Vs tickets to Iran (bringing kids) right at 10:00 and you could see the inverse of this early on. Single match tickets to Iran were only sold for every other row.

From what I saw the upper bowl has only been opened up on 1 side, 11 sections I think, the part visible to cameras (the "real" south). Maybe a quarter of the upper bowl. Anyone else? 

So will there be the two-match deal for sales to the General Public? If anyone sees anything when they open up at 10am local time, let us know. 

That policy is good in that it tries to set an incentive for a pro Canada crowd at Curaçao, it gets a minimum in. It also limits mass buying by Iran fans filling whole sections early in the process.

Thing is: if you're going with casuals or little kids, the Curaçao game will have more goals and more Canada celebrations, it should be more fun for lesser or non-fans. 

• Unnamed Trialist changed the title to CANCELLED WC Prep Match #1: Canada vs Iran - Sunday, June 5 BC Place, Vancouver