Group F Opponent Watch (Belgium, Croatia, Morocco)

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Then however for the 2nd group game against Croatia, my lineup changes:

GK- Borjan

LB- Adekugbe 

CB- Kennedy

CB- Vitoria 

RB- Laryea 

CDM- Kaye

CDM- Eustaquio 

LW- Davies

CAM- David

RW- Buchanan 

CF- Larin

Where's Arfield?  Full stop.  That was a joke people.  A joke..lol.

And then for the final group game against Morocco, well depending on results from other games, my XI would be:

GK- Borjan

LB- Gutierrez (new boy)

CB- Kennedy 

CB- Miller

RB- Johnston

CDM- Piette

CDM- Kaye

LW- Davies

CAM- David

RW- Osorio

CF- Cavallini

On 5/10/2022 at 7:16 AM, TGAA_Star said:

And then for the final group game against Morocco, well depending on results from other games, my XI would be:

GK- Borjan

LB- Gutierrez (new boy)

CB- Kennedy 

CB- Miller

RB- Johnston

CDM- Piette

CDM- Kaye

LW- Davies

CAM- David

RW- Osorio

CF- Cavallini

And then what about our starting XI against Germany in the knockouts?  😉

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Luka Modric gets sent off 10 minutes in because Milan Borjan has schooled the team on what to say to really wind him up in a Marco Materazzi and Zinedine Zidane sort of way? Never say never on these things. Park the bus, keep the game close and you never know what might happen with Alphonso Davies on a counterattack...

Some of you guys are comically ignorant.

From an outside perspective, we are not that different from Morocco but neither of us have any real odds against the other two and Belgium has some of the best players in the world.

But there is a reason you play the games and the seemingly impossible has happened before.

As we say here - in other news - The Normans have invaded England.

I guess my point is rather than go back and forth about chances, I would love news about opposition players people happen to have actually seen play.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Think it might be more likely given his age that Modric doesn’t start against Canada rather than getting sent off Zidane-style 10 minutes in. Likewise, I am not expecting Atiba to start against Croatia because it is the 2nd match in the group stage (less likely than Modric not starting in fact).

That said, does anyone know if Modric has a sister? 

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Think it might be more likely given his age that Modric doesn’t start against Canada rather than getting sent off Zidane-style 10 minutes in. Likewise, I am not expecting Atiba to start against Croatia because it is the 2nd match in the group stage (less likely than Modric not starting in fact).

That said, does anyone know if Modric has a sister? 

I am not sure Modric's English is good at all. Anyways, he's a very calm and pleasant guy, in fact he's quite sweet.

What I dream about going into these matches is an early counter attack with an opposing defender pulling down David or Larin and getting red-carded. I go over scenarios like that over and over. I used to dream about rivals getting red-carded taking penalties in the box, but my fantasies have been screwed with by rule changes. 

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am not sure Modric's English is good at all. Anyways, he's a very calm and pleasant guy, in fact he's quite sweet.

What I dream about going into these matches is an early counter attack with an opposing defender pulling down David or Larin and getting red-carded. I go over scenarios like that over and over. I used to dream about rivals getting red-carded taking penalties in the box, but my fantasies have been screwed with by rule changes. 

He's sweet but feisty. He could get a yellow for retaliating but I don't ever see him getting a red. A lot of our players are like that but they're also professionals and they won't jeopardize the game for it. They're pretty hard but not exactly hot-headed in the sense of being senseless.

They all speak English.

1 minute ago, Brozosexual said:

He's sweet but feisty. He could get a yellow for retaliating but I don't ever see him getting a red. A lot of our players are like that but they're also professionals and they won't jeopardize the game for it. They're pretty hard but not exactly hot-headed in the sense of being senseless.

They all speak English.

I forgot he was at Spurs before, don't remember him from back then at all. What a smart signing for El Real.

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I guess my point is rather than go back and forth about chances, I would love news about opposition players people happen to have actually seen play.

Perišić was MOTM against Juve in the Italian cup final with two goals in ET, Brozović technically had an assist (simple pass though, simply a great goal by Barella). Kovačić suffered a really bad tackle against Leeds (mental challenge, could've been a leg breaker) but seems like he escaped major injury and could even be fit for the cup final against Liverpool.

LWB Sosa has plenty of top or thereabouts clubs after him, including Bayern, Chelsea, Man Utd, Barca, Spurs. He'll move this summer, probably to one of those. Since he'll surely ask for starting spot and game time guarantees, in case of Bayern that would probably mean Davies becomes a winger. Don't know if that makes sense but apparently Naglesmann really likes Sosa. Personally find it more likely Sosa moves to the Prem.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I forgot he was at Spurs before, don't remember him from back then at all. What a smart signing for El Real.

Yeah, he was a top player even then. SAF wanted to bring him to United as well but Real was his dream move. Regardless of that, though, they all speak English since they're pretty young, relatively speaking. It's only the older people who are less likely to speak English here in Croatia (like 60+). People under 30-40 are pretty fluent for the most part.

Just now, Brozosexual said:

Yeah, he was a top player even then. SAF wanted to bring him to United as well but Real was his dream move. Regardless of that, though, they all speak English since they're pretty young, relatively speaking. It's only the older people who are less likely to speak English here in Croatia (like 60+). People under 30-40 are pretty fluent for the most part.

This is all so we can fulfil that @Gian-Lucafantasy of him reacting badly to an insult in our World Cup match and getting a red card. 

So that scenario is still alive.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is all so we can fulfil that @Gian-Lucafantasy of him reacting badly to an insult in our World Cup match and getting a red card. 

I think the more likely scenario is our guys will really want to massacre Borjan in goal. I'm sure they're well aware of his comments. 😃

1 hour ago, Brozosexual said:

I think the more likely scenario is our guys will really want to massacre Borjan in goal. I'm sure they're well aware of his comments. 😃

That clean sheet will be all the more sweet for Milan.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It’s not my fantasy, I was poking fun at the suggestion someone else made. 

Edit: That someone else being Ozzie the Parrot, whom I am assuming you must have on ignore, hence why you think it was my suggestion

Edited by Gian-Luca

Canada against Belgium I can't see us getting a result there especially if I'm honest like brutally, brutally honest. I see a loss.

Against Croatia, I see us getting a result in this game either a 0-0 draw or a 1-1 draw if I'm being honest which would give us a point heading into the final group game.

Then against Morocco, I can see Canada going for it for the win. Which gives us 3 points. Add that up, that is 4 points through 3 games.

Would that be even be enough to get us to the knockout stages? It would depend on goal difference and having to depend on Belgium to beat Croatia and also having to depend on Morocco to beat Croatia in their opening group game.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

It’s not my fantasy, I was poking fun at the suggestion someone else made. 

Edit: That someone else being Ozzie the Parrot, whom I am assuming you must have on ignore, hence why you think it was my suggestion

It's been a busy day. 

So what is your prematch fantasy scenario for taking down Croats and Belgians?