Sean Rea

PegCityCam

23 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Word from the players is that he had a rocky relationship with the staff and was always getting into issues during training.  He got subbed that one time and openly expressed his frustration to it which was the first major incident with Losada we all saw.  I'm surprised about his release as I thought the club would have given him another chance under a new manager but I wouldn't rule out that he had a bad relationship with senior staff as well.  Renard and Cremenzedis are characters to say the least... it's been said by many players that it's very hard to get along with them.

Perhaps, the player just also wanted to leave

Do you think he could get a shot elsewhere in the league or does he have to go overseas ?

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Sure, but I don’t know how much that would raise his stock in ways that a move elsewhere couldn’t. I don’t think his problem was getting MLS attraction, I think it was a case where he was the odd man out and his coach had him in the doghouse for over half the season. 

I think winning helps players get noticed. Pacific got raided after winning the cup. There are only a couple of players from that team left. Regardless, your statement was that he's done all he can in CPL 

21 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wonder if it’s a case where Montreal told him that they’re going to prioritize Bryce Duke as a focal point of their offense so they can maximize his value and ship him off to Europe, so realistically, there won’t be many minutes for him next year, so better to have him find a team that can give him minjtes. On the other hand, Montreal is very savvy with intra-MLS trades, so you’d think they’d try to get some sort of value out of him, so it’s weird overall to me. 

Can’t wait to hear what Tony Marinaro has to say about this. 

I’ve said this before on here but I think the difference in levels is negligible. There is no clear evidence to suggest either league is a higher level.

Where CPL becomes better for a young player is the continental football aspect and I also think the even schedule lends itself to higher level/higher pressure matches over the course of a season. From an optics perspective I think it’s also a sexier level to be playing top level and continental football than in a 2nd division that is a good level but structurally kinda all over the map. 

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’ve said this before on here but I think the difference in levels is negligible. There is no clear evidence to suggest either league is a higher level.

Where CPL becomes better for a young player is the continental football aspect and I also think the even schedule lends itself to higher level/higher pressure matches over the course of a season. From an optics perspective I think it’s also a sexier level to be playing top level and continental football than in a 2nd division that is a good level but structurally kinda all over the map. 

The thing is, clubs in Europe still view and will continue to view the CPL as a 2nd division as long as MLS is around.

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

There is no clear evidence to suggest either league is a higher level.

I can't say I watch a whole lot of CPL but some thoughts on the matter:

Have any CPL players moved on to top league elsewhere in the world?

Has a CPL team won the Canadian Championship?

Has a CPL team advanced as far as a MLS team in CONCACAF? 

Have top CPL players who have gone to MLS become top MLS level players?

Interested to hear other POVs.

8 minutes ago, PastPros said:

No if you mean a "top 5 league" but yes if you mean a top division (Poland, USA, Sweden, etc.)

10 minutes ago, PastPros said:

No, although Forge FC lost to Toronto FC in the 2020 final. 

11 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Technically, yes.

In 2022 Forge FC played (and lost to) Cruz Azul in the round of 16 in Champions League. Colorado Rapids of MLS also fell at this stage (to Comunicaciones). 

16 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Depends on how you qualify top MLS level players, but Waterman has been an undesputed starter in Montreal for two seasons now and MacNaugton is a rotational starter in Nashville. 

Personally, I'd put Sirois has the ultimate success story in term of moving up. Sure, he was a loan but he was a soccer player who played in CPL, which IMO makes him a former CPL player in my book. At only 21 he is already one of the top keepers in MLS.

Sure, MTL dealt with the biggest chunk of his development over the years but Valour FC and CPL ought to be given a significant part of the credit in getting him where he is now too, and I say that as an Impact fan.

Edited by phil03

6 hours ago, PastPros said:

I can't say I watch a whole lot of CPL but some thoughts on the matter:

Interested to hear other POVs.

I believe the comparison made was with USL, not MLS

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

No if you mean a "top 5 league" but yes if you mean a top division (Poland, USA, Sweden, etc.)

No, although Forge FC lost to Toronto FC in the 2020 final. 

Technically, yes.

In 2022 Forge FC played (and lost to) Cruz Azul in the round of 16 in Champions League. Colorado Rapids of MLS also fell at this stage (to Comunicaciones). 

Depends on how you qualify top MLS level players, but Waterman has been an undesputed starter in Montreal for two seasons now and MacNaugton is a rotational starter in Nashville. 

They aren't the only ones in MLS or elsewhere. Farsi started both games in the Semis for Columbus for example 

Edited by Aird25

On 12/1/2023 at 1:04 PM, Footyeh said:

Word from the players is that he had a rocky relationship with the staff and was always getting into issues during training.  He got subbed that one time and openly expressed his frustration to it which was the first major incident with Losada we all saw.  I'm surprised about his release as I thought the club would have given him another chance under a new manager but I wouldn't rule out that he had a bad relationship with senior staff as well.  Renard and Cremenzedis are characters to say the least... it's been said by many players that it's very hard to get along with them.

Perhaps, the player just also wanted to leave

I guess based on Renard's comments this was quite true.

10 hours ago, Footyeh said:

The thing is, clubs in Europe still view and will continue to view the CPL as a 2nd division as long as MLS is around.

It’s a top division where top clubs qualify for the champions league. European clubs and reasonable people will rightfully view that as better competition than playing in USL. Maybe they won’t view it as a high level but they won’t view it as a second division - they’re not obtuse. 

Let’s shift away from CPL in the context of this example. Would you rather a young Canadian play on Saprissa/Communicaciones/Olimpia or San Antonio/Phoenix/Tampa Bay? It’s a no brainer. 

52 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s a top division where top clubs qualify for the champions league. European clubs and reasonable people will rightfully view that as better competition than playing in USL...

The same way they would view the top tier in Sweden as being better than the English Championship? Two CONCACAF Champions League games during the off-season in February with the CanPL entrant likely being viewed as a glorified speed bump most seasons are better for a player than a consistently higher level of competition through the regular season?

Think you are arguing for what you want to be the case for emotional reasons tied into nationalism rather than for rational ones. Most players will take the largest monthly pay cheque on offer and not worry too much about the sort of arguments you are peddling. The problem for guys like Sean Rea is that Canada isn't necessarily viewed as being where USL clubs can get the most bang for their buck on import players which is what Canadians are viewed as now in that context.

Ironically by Victor Montagliani's own stated logic at the time having the Ottawa Fury stay in the USL arguably would have provided more pro level opportunities for Canadian players because they still would have been treated as being domestic signings across that entire league in addition to having CanPL available at home as well. It wasn't really about what was good for the bank balances of the players though.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The same way they would view the top tier in Sweden as being better than the English Championship? Two CONCACAF Champions League games during the off-season in February with the CanPL entrant likely being viewed as a glorified speed bump most seasons are better for a player than a consistently higher level of competition through the regular season?

Think you are arguing for what you want to be the case for emotional reasons tied into nationalism rather than for rational ones. Most players will take the largest monthly pay cheque on offer and not worry too much about the sort of arguments you are peddling. The problem for guys like Sean Rea is that Canada isn't necessarily viewed as being where USL clubs can get the most bang for their buck on import players which is what Canadians are viewed as now in that context.

Ironically by Victor Montagliani's own stated logic at the time having the Ottawa Fury stay in the USL arguably would have provided more pro level opportunities for Canadian players because they still would have been treated as being domestic signings across that entire league in addition to having CanPL available at home as well. It wasn't really about what was good for the bank balances of the players though.

With how similar the levels are… yes. As I said before, CPL also has a better format for high pressure matches. There is little evidence to suggest USL is a wholly better level or vice versa. Of course the championship is a higher level than Sweden so that’s a silly question… but this is more like comparing the Championship to Belgium. 

Even if I do want to entertain your disingenuous take though, would we rather Cornelius play for Malmo in the champions league or for Preston North End? 

I agree most players will take the paycheque/experience of living in America. Case in point, Krutzen just went down there won the whole thing as a key player and retired.

Anyways… Can someone give me an example of one Canadian that has gone to USL (not on a loan) and it’s worked out? You go down there in the mix of 2 dozen teams and you’re forgotten. Maybe it’ll workout for the guys at San Antonio but the fact is that CPL has been much better for Canadians over a much shorter period.

So in short, no Sean Rea going to USL over CPL is not some sort of stepping stone. History tells us it’s quite the opposite. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

... Can someone give me an example of one Canadian that has gone to USL (not on a loan) and it’s worked out? ...

Suspect you'll now move the goalposts with regards to what is meant by "it's worked out", but these guys appear to be happy enough playing there probably because they are earning more money that way than they would have in CanPL. Sean Rea is the sort of player who could reasonably expect to be able to do likewise, if he doesn't get another shot at MLS somewhere other than Montreal.

20 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Suspect you'll now move the goalposts with regards to what is meant by "it's worked out", but these guys appear to be happy enough playing there probably because they are earning more money that way than they would have in CanPL. Sean Rea is the sort of player who could reasonably expect to be able to do likewise, if he doesn't get another shot at MLS somewhere other than Montreal.

I’m the one moving goal posts? Are we not discussing Canadians moving up levels? What do you think you’re proving by showing me two guys who signed there? LOL I’m well aware. Let me know when Doner gets his move to MLS or Europe. 

Great for them if they’re happy - I don’t think that’s what this forum is about. This is the men’s national team and whether you play in canpl or usl you’re not making it. 

If Rea wants to sign there he can go for it. But let’s not pretend that it would be anything more than a lateral move at best.

Edited by CanadaFan123

12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What's stopping him from moving to Europe straight away if that's the angle you are fixated by? The guy can likely access an Italian passport by descent easily enough and at that point he can play in over 25 countries in Europe without needing to apply for a visa.

Who said he was stopped form doing so? He hasn’t signed in USL. You don’t even know what conversation you’re in. How goofy are you? 

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I really don't see Sean Rea playing in USL, but who am I to say what he'll do? 

If this was a 26 year old Sean Rea, then maybe? That's the age Doner and Chapman were when they moved to USL, isn't it?

Rea is what, 21?

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think Sean Rea should look at a Marcos Bustos as how CPL could act as a nice platform to move on to bigger things. Sign a 2 year deal, play every minute, and be the focal point

Especially now with Champions league its a good way to showcase a young player

My point exactly. Said move would be very unlikely for Bustos if he stayed in USL. I get it if you just want to live in a warm climate and collect a paycheque but if you’re focused on moving up as a Canadian it’s no man’s land. 21 year old Rea is going to go from a potential call up to USL in a year? It’s ridiculous. 

Go to CPL, find a 2nd chance MLS move or use your passport to go to Europe. What could realistically be gained by going to USL? It’s ridiculous. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

My point exactly. Said move would be very unlikely for Bustos if he stayed in USL. I get it if you just want to live in a warm climate and collect a paycheque but if you’re focused on moving up as a Canadian it’s no man’s land. 21 year old Rea is going to go from a potential call up to USL in a year? It’s ridiculous. 

Go to CPL, find a 2nd chance MLS move or use your passport to go to Europe. What could realistically be gained by going to USL? It’s ridiculous. 

USL seems like a good league to get lost in the shuffle 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

My point exactly. Said move would be very unlikely for Bustos if he stayed in USL...

Even though he has an Italian passport and could use that to move to Sweden on a free transfer upon contract expiry without any need for a work visa after impressing his new club during a trial in preseason?

How on earth did players like Marco Reda, Chris Pozniak and Atiba Hutchinson wind up with clubs in Scandinavia and how did Paul Stalteri manage to wind up with Werder Bremen when they only had the Lynx in the USL rather than CanPL as a starting point?

Way too much is being made of this CanPL vs USL stuff.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Even though he has an Italian passport and could use that to move to Sweden on a free transfer upon contract expiry without any need for a work visa after impressing his new club during a trial in preseason?

How on earth did players like Marco Reda, Chris Pozniak and Atiba Hutchinson wind up with clubs in Scandinavia and how did Paul Stalteri manage to wind up with Werder Bremen when they only had the Lynx in the USL rather than CanPL as a starting point?

Way too much is being made of this CanPL vs USL stuff.

I agree. Why wouldn’t he? He shouldn’t be going to CPL or USL.  

• 1 month later...