Sean Rea

PegCityCam

37 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I actually listened to his bit after posting that- I didn’t realize that his last game was the one where he got subbed off after 15 minutes and apparently was (rightfully) sour over it. I also can’t believe that Hamdi and Miljevic are both on $600k? That’s crazy. I Hope he gets back into the lineup- Montreal has played some truly awful players this year, and Rea has looked good when he does play. 

The part where Tony talks about how soccer politics can get down right dirty- you talking about Rea or your own kid? I thought it was funny.

Yeah the "bit" actually goes on for most of the show lol. He circles back to Rea later on and really seems to have a personal stake in him...and most definitely is invested deeply the team. Whatever his connections I think we need more media like him who have no qualms about being hard on all aspects of their local squad but also aren't your typical hockey guy who's been forced to expand his platform. I was entertained if nothing else and learned much more about CF and what's going on there. His next pod mainly focused on thr Camacho deal is also quite informative and entertaining.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I actually listened to his bit after posting that- I didn’t realize that his last game was the one where he got subbed off after 15 minutes and apparently was (rightfully) sour over it. I also can’t believe that Hamdi and Miljevic are both on $600k? That’s crazy. I Hope he gets back into the lineup- Montreal has played some truly awful players this year, and Rea has looked good when he does play. 

The part where Tony talks about how soccer politics can get down right dirty- you talking about Rea or your own kid? I thought it was funny.

Soo obvious he wanted to throw that in there!  In Rea's case it has nothing to do with "soccer politics", soccer - unlike hockey where there are limitless changes - depending the match situation (score, bench, depth, etc...) it's normal not everyone gets on the field.

12 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Yeah the "bit" actually goes on for most of the show lol. He circles back to Rea later on and really seems to have a personal stake in him...and most definitely is invested deeply the team. Whatever his connections I think we need more media like him who have no qualms about being hard on all aspects of their local squad but also aren't your typical hockey guy who's been forced to expand his platform. I was entertained if nothing else and learned much more about CF and what's going on there. His next pod mainly focused on thr Camacho deal is also quite informative and entertaining.

Yeah, I've always appreciated Tony for this reason- we only get this level of passion and unabashed homerism when it comes to the Habs; our sports media ecosystem sorely lacks that New York City style obnoxious commentator type, and I like that Tony serves that up- I mean, the guy sounds like he's ready to come to blows to defend Sean Rea- we need more of that, and especially guys who are emotionally invested in the sport. I skipped over the Camacho bit because I think it was taped before he was traded, but that 's another guy that (mostly the french) media is freaking out over losing.

11 hours ago, costarg said:

Soo obvious he wanted to throw that in there!  In Rea's case it has nothing to do with "soccer politics", soccer - unlike hockey where there are limitless changes - depending the match situation (score, bench, depth, etc...) it's normal not everyone gets on the field.

I think the politics involved is Losada (potentially) wanting to send Rea a message and having the control to make that message last over a month while Rea can't do much about this. I know soccer is very political especially at the youth level, but not sure how he can say that when we have the QMJHL right in our backyard. This is a league who is notorious for starting the kid whose dad owns the dealership that sponsors the boards in nets over the kid who has actually potential or who bury good prospects in AAA because they didn't come from the right team or whatnot. Frankly, I think that the whole "we only let prospects from the 3 Canadian MLS teams come to our youth camps due to politics" thing is small potatoes compared to what goes on in hockey in this country- not that both aren't bad.

Edited by InglewoodJack

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’d be a great candidate for a smaller US team to take a flyer on. San Jose, Colorado, etc. Maybe USL if he can’t get a look- he’s too good for CPL but doesn’t have a solid MLS resume yet. 

Why would he go to USL if he’s too good for CPL? At least in CPL he could play champions league.

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not retained by Montreal. Really hope an MLS tram takes a flyer on him. Super weird how he was handled this year.

I didn't see this one coming, I assumed CFM sided with the players and were trying to fix the mistakes by getting rid of Losada.  Perhaps the damage was too great for the different sides to get over it.

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

Why would he go to USL if he’s too good for CPL? At least in CPL he could play champions league.

USL is a better level. If he wants to make it to Europe, it’s also a better option than CPL. I also think that since he’s done all he can in CPL, going right back would be a step backwards. I do think he has a place in MLS too. I think some Série B team was looking at him last year too? 

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

I didn't see this one coming, I assumed CFM sided with the players and were trying to fix the mistakes by getting rid of Losada.  Perhaps the damage was too great for the different sides to get over it.

I wonder if it’s a case where Montreal told him that they’re going to prioritize Bryce Duke as a focal point of their offense so they can maximize his value and ship him off to Europe, so realistically, there won’t be many minutes for him next year, so better to have him find a team that can give him minjtes. On the other hand, Montreal is very savvy with intra-MLS trades, so you’d think they’d try to get some sort of value out of him, so it’s weird overall to me. 

Can’t wait to hear what Tony Marinaro has to say about this. 

Not surprised but was hoping the exit of Losada would see him stay.

I think his best path forward is probably another MLS team, unless he goes to Europe at a lower level, like Sweden or Norway, somewhere like that. But after missing out so much last year, I don't think he even gets a move like that, despite his potential. Nelson (same age) moved to Norway off the back of playing 31 MLS matches, so maybe he would have to accept a much lower level/club if he wanted to move to Europe. Conversely, he could sign elsewhere in MLS at a place where he could develop. He's good technically and is young and has an offensive slant to his game, so players like that are probably going to get a chance in the league as a substitute. If he can go to a Dallas (just throwing out an example), who knows how he could develop? 

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wonder if it’s a case where Montreal told him that they’re going to prioritize Bryce Duke as a focal point of their offense so they can maximize his value and ship him off to Europe, so realistically, there won’t be many minutes for him next year, so better to have him find a team that can give him minjtes. On the other hand, Montreal is very savvy with intra-MLS trades, so you’d think they’d try to get some sort of value out of him, so it’s weird overall to me. 

Can’t wait to hear what Tony Marinaro has to say about this. 

Ya, I agree with Duke, he does seem more polished at this point in time.  Gawd, this means I gotta listen to Marinaro again, pfft.....

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

USL is a better level. If he wants to make it to Europe, it’s also a better option than CPL. I also think that since he’s done all he can in CPL, going right back would be a step backwards. I do think he has a place in MLS too. I think some Série B team was looking at him last year too? 

USL is only marginally better than CPL and the pay is (probably) better, with more teams and bigger crowds, but I don't think he needs to make that move now at this point in his career. He's 21 years old and was making how much in Montreal? Low 6 figures? Maybe he doesn't have an immediate need for money at that age, coming off that contract.

Not saying he should go to CPL, but if CPL and USL are his only options, does it really make sense to take 60K in USL versus 40K in CPL? I would say it may be better to take the 40K in the CPL and (hopefully) shine and then move on, instead of getting lost in the shuffle in the USL, where there are so many teams and players and he probably has to do more to get noticed. 

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

USL is only marginally better than CPL and the pay is (probably) better, with more teams and bigger crowds, but I don't think he needs to make that move now at this point in his career. He's 21 years old and was making how much in Montreal? Low 6 figures? Maybe he doesn't have an immediate need for money at that age, coming off that contract.

Not saying he should go to CPL, but if CPL and USL are his only options, does it really make sense to take 60K in USL versus 40K in CPL? I would say it may be better to take the 40K in the CPL and (hopefully) shine and then move on, instead of getting lost in the shuffle in the USL, where there are so many teams and players and he probably has to do more to get noticed. 

Rea is currently on $85k USD at Montreal- I don’t think it’s a question of salary, more just that what’s the outcome if he repeats his last CPL season- MVP candidate, one of the best players in the league, etc.- a move right back to the same team? I see it the same way as Montreal loaned Zouhir to San Antonio instead of the CPL. I think the level is better, I think if he wants another crack at a higher league, it’s better to prove himself in a new league, but also, I think he deserves a shot in MLS. I wouldn’t be completely opposed to Herdman giving him a look at TFC- I know Toronto has a terrible track record with young Canadians, but Rea is the type of high potential raw player that I think Herdman would prioritize, just like Bombito for the national team. 

Re(a): getting lost in the shuffle- there are more teams, but also more scouts. If he went to one of the Texas teams for example, that’s 3 MLS teams a short drive away who can go scout him. If he goes to one or the California teams, there are a ton of MLS clubs around that. Many USL teams have Bundesliga connections, Portugal also recruits out of the USL. 

There’s also the option of just going straight to Europe. Breza went from Montreal to Série C- maybe that’s a move. Maybe a move to the Nordic countries could work too. I think he has a lot of options outside of the CPL he should explore. I wouldn’t want him to fall into the Tristan Borges rut where we know he’s a great CPL player, it didn’t work in Belgium, so now that he’s back in CPL, there’s not much he can do to up his stock because they know his CPL play doesn’t translate to success abroad (whether that’s merited or not is another story). Same with Easton Ongaro. I can’t think of a player who played well in the CPL, went abroad, struggled, came back, and then got another move after. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Rea is currently on $85k USD at Montreal- I don’t think it’s a question of salary, more just that what’s the outcome if he repeats his last CPL season- MVP candidate, one of the best players in the league, etc.- a move right back to the same team? I see it the same way as Montreal loaned Zouhir to San Antonio instead of the CPL. I think the level is better, I think if he wants another crack at a higher league, it’s better to prove himself in a new league, but also, I think he deserves a shot in MLS.

85K USD is 6-figures in CAD last time I checked. 

And like you said, Zouhir was a loan. If we were talking about Montreal loaning him to San Antonio next seaason that would indeed be better than CPL for all the reasons we are talking about (chance in new league, higher level, etc.). We agree he deserves another shot in MLS before USL or CPL.

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Re(a): getting lost in the shuffle- there are more teams, but also more scouts. If he went to one of the Texas teams for example, that’s 3 MLS teams a short drive away who can go scout him. If he goes to one or the California teams, there are a ton of MLS clubs around that. Many USL teams have Bundesliga connections, Portugal also recruits out of the USL. 

This is true about more scouts, but what percentage of players are moving on to a better level from USL versus CPL? It seems to me that CPL is moving a higher percentage of players on, but maybe that's ignorant and I am not as plugged into what's happening down there. What do you think?

Also, since the level is higher (supposedly) wouldn't that mean a player of Rea's level is less likely to shine? Zouhir killed it in Texas, but how much of that was down to the right system, coaching, etc? Granted USL would have some advantages, but also more risks, and if he's going to take some risk (nothing wrong with that) I would prefer he just go to Europe. Sounds like you maybe perfer that too:

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

There’s also the option of just going straight to Europe. Breza went from Montreal to Série C- maybe that’s a move. Maybe a move to the Nordic countries could work too. I think he has a lot of options outside of the CPL he should explore.

What you say below is a good point and that's where there is risk in going to the CPL too. I think it would have to be a quick in-and-out, but there's no guarentee he gets back out and moves on. And again, my perception is that if he goes to CPL or USL, it needs to be a quick stay, but since my perception is that CPL is easier to move on from in general (could be wroung) I think that's why I lean CPL here (if that makes sense). There's also the fact he knows the league so more of a chance to shine, I am thinking.... what say you?

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wouldn’t want him to fall into the Tristan Borges rut where we know he’s a great CPL player, it didn’t work in Belgium, so now that he’s back in CPL, there’s not much he can do to up his stock because they know his CPL play doesn’t translate to success abroad (whether that’s merited or not is another story). Same with Easton Ongaro. I can’t think of a player who played well in the CPL, went abroad, struggled, came back, and then got another move after. 

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

85K USD is 6-figures in CAD last time I checked. 

And like you said, Zouhir was a loan. If we were talking about Montreal loaning him to San Antonio next seaason that would indeed be better than CPL for all the reasons we are talking about (chance in new league, higher level, etc.). We agree he deserves another shot in MLS before USL or CPL.

This is true about more scouts, but what percentage of players are moving on to a better level from USL versus CPL? It seems to me that CPL is moving a higher percentage of players on, but maybe that's ignorant and I am not as plugged into what's happening down there. What do you think?

Also, since the level is higher (supposedly) wouldn't that mean a player of Rea's level is less likely to shine? Zouhir killed it in Texas, but how much of that was down to the right system, coaching, etc? Granted USL would have some advantages, but also more risks, and if he's going to take some risk (nothing wrong with that) I would prefer he just go to Europe. Sounds like you maybe perfer that too:

What you say below is a good point and that's where there is risk in going to the CPL too. I think it would have to be a quick in-and-out, but there's no guarentee he gets back out and moves on. And again, my perception is that if he goes to CPL or USL, it needs to be a quick stay, but since my perception is that CPL is easier to move on from in general (could be wroung) I think that's why I lean CPL here (if that makes sense). There's also the fact he knows the league so more of a chance to shine, I am thinking.... what say you?

I think more USL players move on than CPL players. I think this perception might be because Canada has such a smaller talent pool that when a single one of our guys gets a move or even gets a trial, it’s big news, but the US get these moves much more frequently, and to better teams. That’s not to count the higher number of international players in the USL also moving around. For comp’s sake, this current season, USL has sent 3 players abroad- Wynder to Benfica for €1.12M, Illoski to the Danish league for €200k, and Osundina to feyenoord for another €200k. The CPL has transfered zero abroad. Last year, the USL sent 5 abroad to the CPL’s 4, however, a player was sold to Rennes for €630k, 4 players ended up on solid MLS squads like Cincinnati, St. Louis and Dallas. Last season, Diaz was the only 6 figure CPL transfer and per transfermarkt, only one of 2 CPL transfers ever that were 6 figures.

I don’t know that this list is complete and I don’t think that transfer values are the definitive mark of a successful league, but I think being that the CPL has fewer teams, being that we have fewer players, every time we hear that a guy like Dan Nimick has premier league interest or Victor Loturi is going to Scotland, it’s massive, but the USL is putting guys in top 7 leagues which I don’t think the CPL will do for some time unless Tahid has an insane season next year or some wunderkind comes out of nowhere. 

Re: your point about Zouhir being in a good situation, that’s a big part of this too, I just think there are a lot more good situations in the USL than CPL. I think playing for Forge or Cavalry is certifiably better than playing for a number of USL teams, but if he can go to San Antonio, Louisville, Indy, I think those are very strong teams. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

I have a feeling Montreal will regret this one. Rea is an incredible talent. Even in CPL, he took a major leap from year 1 to 2. If given a second MLS chance, I won't be surprised to see him feel a lot more comfortable in year 2.

Still only 21, I'd expect him to be picked up by another MLS club or heading to Europe over a drop back to CPL / USL.

17 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I don’t think he ends up in CPL, think he proved he’s past that, but I do think he will have to work his way up overseas. He didn’t get a fair shake I think, but he was only ok. Will be tough to land in mls, but it could happen.

I don't think he'll be back in CPL, either, but I don't discount another MLS team who has played against him and was impressed at the potential.  Baldisimo got a shot last year with Luchi G. in San Jose (not sure what the future holds for him, however) and I think something similar for Rea will occur.  Cheap, homegrown league wide domestic, right?  I think he stays in MLS.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I wouldn't say that. He was the focal point in attack on a bad Valour team that lost more than they won. It would be nice to see him contribute on a contender

Sure, but I don’t know how much that would raise his stock in ways that a move elsewhere couldn’t. I don’t think his problem was getting MLS attraction, I think it was a case where he was the odd man out and his coach had him in the doghouse for over half the season. 

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Can someone rehash and explain why he fell out with Losada to begin with? because I cannot remember the story. Is it something that would turn off other MLS teams or potentially teams abroad?

Word from the players is that he had a rocky relationship with the staff and was always getting into issues during training.  He got subbed that one time and openly expressed his frustration to it which was the first major incident with Losada we all saw.  I'm surprised about his release as I thought the club would have given him another chance under a new manager but I wouldn't rule out that he had a bad relationship with senior staff as well.  Renard and Cremenzedis are characters to say the least... it's been said by many players that it's very hard to get along with them.

Perhaps, the player just also wanted to leave

Edited by Footyeh