Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

45 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Valour FC today announce the team has signed Canadian midfielder Matthew Catavolo to a multi-year deal.

Catavolo, 19, joins Valour FC after spending his youth career with the CF Montreal academy.

“Matthew has a lot of quality on the ball and reads the game well for his age,” said Valour FC Head Coach & GM Phillip Dos Santos. “He has a great upbringing through the academy level with CF Montreal, and we feel he has huge upside and lots of potential to grow.”

Internationally, Catavolo was a part of the U17 Canadian national team for both the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup and the 2019 CONCACAF U-17 Championship, where he totalled 519 minutes played in eight appearances.

Just seen that. I'm surprised as he came out of nowhere. Makes you wonder if there is some sort of link forming between Valour and CF Montreal. 

2 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Just seen that. I'm surprised as he came out of nowhere. Makes you wonder if there is some sort of link forming between Valour and CF Montreal. 

CF Montreal Academy players seem to be a premium in the CPL as of late. Woobens Pacius, Cedric Toussaint, Mamadou Kane, Binate being the most recent graduates.

11 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

CF Montreal Academy players seem to be a premium in the CPL as of late. Woobens Pacius, Cedric Toussaint, Mamadou Kane, Binate being the most recent graduates.

The real positive of all this is that young Canadian talent view CPL as a viable option in their development (Catavolo, Romeo, Tabla, Omar etc. etc. etc.)

40 minutes ago, toontownman said:

This lasts until Montreal start an MLS Next team. Depends what they see being best and cost efficient. Maybe farming them out to the CPL is better in their eyes. Or maybe it just buys time until they are ready to grab them back for the u23s

Since the players are being signed to 2 to 3 year contracts, Montreal will have to wait and they will no longer own their rights, unless they want to go to another MLS team.

True, I didn't read the fine print and thought they were loans. The CPL pathway to bigger leagues is starting to work nicely, combined with pretty much guaranteed game time to develop and learn, at a decent competitive level. I looks like it is starting to be a winner for young Canadians. 

Will be interesting to see how the pathways align with the Whitecaps U23 players, USL players and players that join CPL as to who ends up where. 

5 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

The real positive of all this is that young Canadian talent view CPL as a viable option in their development (Catavolo, Romeo, Tabla, Omar etc. etc. etc.)

100%.

That isn't happening by accident.  Positive vibes are making their way into the ranks.  Good 

Not saying a CPL route is the right answer for every circumstance but it sure proving to be worth a look for some players.

As importantly for players and their relationships with their MLS employers maybe a greater sense of impatience is evolving. Young players being more demanding about their development is perhaps overdue and good for everyone.  Including the Canadian MLS sides.

6 hours ago, Cheeta said:

100%.

That isn't happening by accident.  Positive vibes are making their way into the ranks.  Good 

Not saying a CPL route is the right answer for every circumstance but it sure proving to be worth a look for some players.

As importantly for players and their relationships with their MLS employers maybe a greater sense of impatience is evolving. Young players being more demanding about their development is perhaps overdue and good for everyone.  Including the Canadian MLS sides.

I totally agree. With more and more young Canadian stars arriving in the CPL, that will raise the profile of the league as a whole, which will then allow teams to bring in a higher calibre of players.

The fact that someone like Rocco Romeo was more than happy to return on a permanent deal, along with Ottawa signing Tabla (who has European experience with Barcelona) just shows how far the league has come in a short space of time. 

Hadn't noticed the new CF Montreal goalie signing -- Logan Ketterer (USA, age 28).  Is Nogueira still on trial?  Likely to end up in CPL if not?

Today's Valour articles are pushing Yesli.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/video/rayane-yesli-training-camp-feb-18

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/hes-also-got-two-unbelievable-feet-and-his-distribution-is-long-and-very-powerful-and-he-works-hes-a-machine

11 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Hadn't noticed the new CF Montreal goalie signing -- Logan Ketterer (USA, age 28).  Is Nogueira still on trial?  Likely to end up in CPL if not?

Today's Valour articles are pushing Yesli.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/video/rayane-yesli-training-camp-feb-18

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/hes-also-got-two-unbelievable-feet-and-his-distribution-is-long-and-very-powerful-and-he-works-hes-a-machine

I haven't heard anything about Nogueira not being on trial. The thing is, most CPL clubs now have 2 or more goalkeepers confirmed. I think Edmonton, Valour and York are the only ones who have just 1 confirmed.

York are a funny one though. They have 22 confirmed players, but 9 of them are international. 

57 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I haven't heard anything about Nogueira not being on trial. The thing is, most CPL clubs now have 2 or more goalkeepers confirmed. I think Edmonton, Valour and York are the only ones who have just 1 confirmed.

York are a funny one though. They have 22 confirmed players, but 9 of them are international. 

Minatel has his P.r so he doesnt count as international. so they have 7 internationals at this moment. 

17 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Nogueira training with York United reported today.

I thought York only have 7 internationals who are not on loan to Edmonton.

Anyone on the Valour FC radar other than Sirios, Rea and the trialists (Roberts, Hidalgo, Robinson, Tomy, Barker) at training camp?

Edited by K Edgar

53 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Nogueira training with York United reported today.

I thought York only have 7 internationals who are not on loan to Edmonton.

Anyone on the Valour FC radar other than Sirios, Rea and the trialists (Roberts, Hidalgo, Robinson, Tomy, Barker) at training camp?

Going by the CPL Roster Tracker they currently have:

Eduardo Jesus, Daniel Obekkjaer, Sebastian Gutierrez, Lisandro Cabrera, Mateo Hernandez, Mamadou Kane, Martin Graiciar and Oliver Minatel (who has P.R. apparently). 

Out on loan, they have Ulbricht and Warschewski with Javier George still unconfirmed. 

As far as potential targets for us go, all I have heard was a former HFX left back who's name I can't remember at the moment. By all accounts, PDS has hinted at imminent signings. 

40 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Going by the CPL Roster Tracker they currently have:

Eduardo Jesus, Daniel Obekkjaer, Sebastian Gutierrez, Lisandro Cabrera, Mateo Hernandez, Mamadou Kane, Martin Graiciar and Oliver Minatel (who has P.R. apparently). 

Out on loan, they have Ulbricht and Warschewski with Javier George still unconfirmed. 

As far as potential targets for us go, all I have heard was a former HFX left back who's name I can't remember at the moment. By all accounts, PDS has hinted at imminent signings. 

Kane is Canadian and Minatel is considered domestic...the other international is William Wallace

21 of 23 filled with 1 more keeper needed and Olatoye and Rossi in camp...no Halley or George so dont think they are coming back

1 minute ago, K Edgar said:

It does says "Left-back, midfielder" on "Zoom's" wikipedia page.  I still don't see anyone, other than Gutierrez, on the new roster that replaces their losses in the midfield -- Levis, Aleman, even Galhardo.

I agree. We are looking a little thin in midfield. I know he isn't of the calibre of Levis, Aleman or Galhardo, but I think Tomy will stick around again. I'm surprised at how few midfielders are on trial personally. 

Do you think Gutierrez will play on midfield or at right back? I know back when he was first the club, he played a lot higher.