Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

What do we think about Rayane then? As far as goalkeepers go, an article released when he signed said that a 'Plan B' was on the table until the "end of the week", which would have been yesterday.

With Montreal having Breza and Pantemis (and bringing Nogueira in on trial), it seems weird that they would drag their heels over a loan return for Sirois.

Artemenko, in my opinion, would have been a good shout (and would be yet another returning player), but I don't think he is even in the country at the moment. 

Is Rayane good enough to be #1? 

6 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

What do we think about Rayane then? As far as goalkeepers go, an article released when he signed said that a 'Plan B' was on the table until the "end of the week", which would have been yesterday.

With Montreal having Breza and Pantemis (and bringing Nogueira in on trial), it seems weird that they would drag their heels over a loan return for Sirois.

Artemenko, in my opinion, would have been a good shout (and would be yet another returning player), but I don't think he is even in the country at the moment. 

Is Rayane good enough to be #1? 

Montreal would want all 4 keepers at their training camp before deciding which to loan.  Loan could be a done deal with only the name, Nagueira or Sirois, to be determined.

Yesli has great potential but is inexperienced/unproven.  I would think they need a 2nd solid gk to trade off with Yesli.

I except Artemenko to land somewhere in the CPL, but he could have other options.  I thought he trialed in Ukraine a couple of years back.  If he is not in Canada do you know where he is?

Is Silva completely out of the picture?

14 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Montreal would want all 4 keepers at their training camp before deciding which to loan.  Loan could be a done deal with only the name, Nagueira or Sirois, to be determined.

Yesli has great potential but is inexperienced/unproven.  I would think they need a 2nd solid gk to trade off with Yesli.

I except Artemenko to land somewhere in the CPL, but he could have other options.  I thought he trialed in Ukraine a couple of years back.  If he is not in Canada do you know where he is?

Is Silva completely out of the picture?

I believe Artemenko trialed with someone like Chernomore (or something like that). I know he posted on his Instagram that he was out of the country, but that could just have been a vacation he had planned for after the U-Sports draft. 

I would be very surprised if Silva came back. From what I have read, the only players that the door was not closed to, were Ricci, Moutou (why?) and Tomy. 

The whole 'Montreal/Nogueira' thing confuses me as he returned to Canada for regular football as he wants to boost his chances for the national side. If he goes to Montreal, he will need to go out on loan as he won't get ahead of Breza and Pantemis. He did have strong interest from the MLS, USL and the CPL. So it may just be a case of "wait and see". 

After his standout season last season though, could you see Sirois happy playing third choice? 

Sirois must know by now he has to be playing, there, here, or somewhere else.  

I personally think another year in the ever improving CPL is far, far better for the man than bench minutes in Montreal.

This man has a brilliant future in front of him so show it.  Timing is everything though, being patient or being bold transforms into dithering or over ambitious if you don't read the clock correctly.  

3 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Sirois must know by now he has to be playing, there, here, or somewhere else.  

I personally think another year in the ever improving CPL is far, far better for the man than bench minutes in Montreal.

This man has a brilliant future in front of him so show it.  Timing is everything though, being patient or being bold transforms into dithering or over ambitious if you don't read the clock correctly.  

It’s on record that Sirois won’t be the 3, he’s going on loan if he fails to win the #1 but they think he might be ready.

Fraser Aird will not be returning to Valour.  FC Edmonton has release just about everyone.  Immediately Aird and Didic were snapped up by Cavalry and Pacific.  Will Valour get a piece?  Shamit Shome is the other player worth taking, others I am unsure of.  Paris Gee?  Valour is short in the MF.  Tobias Warschewski?  Valour could use some height up front.

Today's tweet "dynamic duo" is an indication of the current depth of their lineup?...

Edited by K Edgar

5 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Hope they re-sign Ricci.   Riggi instead of Ricci is a downgrade imo. 

1 goal in 23 CPL games... underwhelming!  Before that 21 goals in 81 USL games for Phoenix Rising.

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2010–2011 Montreal Impact Academy    
2012 Celta Vigo B 0 (0)
2013 Atlético 1 (0)
2013 CFR II Cluj    
2013–2014 Trento    
2015–2016 FC Montreal 48 (15)
2017–2019 Phoenix Rising 81 (21)
2020–2021 HFX Wanderers 23 (1)
National team
2012–2013 Canada U20 3 (0)

4 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

1 goal in 23 CPL games... underwhelming!  Before that 21 goals in 81 USL games for Phoenix Rising.

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2012 Celta Vigo B 0 (0)
2013 Atlético 1 (0)
2013 CFR II Cluj    
2013–2014 Trento    
National team

23 games, 1 goal and 1 assist. How is he an upgrade from Ricci? That's a disappointing signing. Especially when we don't know how Ponce is going to turn out. 

28 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2012 Celta Vigo B 0 (0)
2013 Atlético 1 (0)
2013 CFR II Cluj    
2013–2014 Trento    
National team

3 1/2 years older too. I thought Ricci was finding his feet and had a good season. Riggi seems to be going the other way. It is a different environment, coach, tactics and system. Maybe he will fit better and show more of his early career promise at Valour. 

23 minutes ago, toontownman said:

3 1/2 years older too. I thought Ricci was finding his feet and had a good season. Riggi seems to be going the other way. It is a different environment, coach, tactics and system. Maybe he will fit better and show more of his early career promise at Valour. 

I think PDS just doesn't think that Ricci will be the same after his injury. I mean, I don't think Ricci scored for Valour until last season and, pre injury, he scored 5. He found his groove and was working well with Dyer and Akio. 

It confuses me here because, just when you think PDS is going in a younger direction to build a core, he goes and signs a 29yr old with 1 goal in 2 years. Ricci should have been re-signed. 

3 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Fraser Aird will not be returning to Valour.  FC Edmonton has release just about everyone.  Immediately Aird and Didic were snapped up by Cavalry and Pacific.  Will Valour get a piece?  Shamit Shome is the other player worth taking, others I am unsure of.  Paris Gee?  Valour is short in the MF.  Tobias Warschewski?  Valour could use some height up front.

Today's tweet "dynamic duo" is an indication of the current depth of their lineup?...

Not sure what you mean in derisive final sentence. Both of these players excellent in the latter part of the season, essentially once Gale was ditched and Dyer started to play in a more advanced role where he belongs.

3 hours ago, wallflower said:

dyer and akio been excellent

I'm so on the fence about Akio - I'd be very interested in seeing him on a good team where he'd get quality service. I can't tell if he's a real talent to watch, with an eye to moving up a level or two, or a good, athletic, does lots of running and hard work, CPL player. 

Source in Winnipeg has told me Masta Kacher is moving on not re-signing with Valour FC and landing with FC Edmonton. #CanPL

------------------

... not a shock that he is looking elsewhere
Edited by K Edgar
added northern tribune link

6 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that Rocco Romeo (a defender) has scored more goals in 18 games than Alessandro Riggi (a forward) has in 2 seasons? 

I mean, Riggi did play for Hart at Halifax, where scoring goals does not seem to be a priority (.75 goals/game in 2019, 1.0 in 2021, both bottom).

Not thrilled with this signing. I am happy about the players that have been let go.

45 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I mean, Riggi did play for Hart at Halifax, where scoring goals does not seem to be a priority (.75 goals/game in 2019, 1.0 in 2021, both bottom).

Not thrilled with this signing. I am happy about the players that have been let go.

I too am skeptical of this signing.  Worrying that most of the Riggi highlights Valour put together were from his Pheonix days (>2.5 years old).  But, Dos Santos has worked with Riggi in the past, he must have seen something he liked.  Skeptical, while hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Wondering where Ricci will end up.  Still hoping he might be at Valour training camp.  Akio/Dyer/Ricci!

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

I too am skeptical of this signing.  Worrying that most of the Riggi highlights Valour put together were from his Pheonix days (>2.5 years old).  But, Dos Santos has worked with Riggi in the past, he must have seen something he liked.  Skeptical, while hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Wondering where Ricci will end up.  Still hoping he might be at Valour training camp.  Akio/Dyer/Ricci!

A return to form for Ricci or an upgrade at that position and Valour's attack could set up decently with Akio and Dyer. A healthy AJB marshaling Romeo and others could also lead to a strong back line. The midfield, as ever, will be the question mark.