Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

A return to form for Ricci or an upgrade at that position and Valour's attack could set up decently with Akio and Dyer. A healthy AJB marshaling Romeo and others could also lead to a strong back line. The midfield, as ever, will be the question mark.

Honesty? Ricci coming back to form an attacking trio with Dyer and Akio, a fit AJB in the heart of defence. The final piece of the puzzle would be Sirois coming back. 

New rules around loans to FC Edmonton -- new option for Valour to continue the development of Caden Tomy and possibly other youngsters they have in their system?

Interested to know whose training camp these loanees will attend.

(CPL player loaned to Edmonton cannot play against their parent club)

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-set-to-open-2022-training-camp

"training camp is scheduled to open with testing and physicals on the weekend and the first on-field session coming Monday morning"

No real news in the article except Jean-Baptiste, Walter Ponce, Daniel Ascanio won’t be in Winnipeg for the start of camp.  Tomy is not in the "who isn't returning" list, is not mentioned at all.

Short list of players mentioned as attending, must be many more trialists and yet-to-be-named signed players.

also: https://northerntribune.ca/valour-fc-preseason-2022/

Edited by K Edgar
added northern tribune link

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Only 3 weekday evenings. 9 of 14 home dates are Sunday afternoons. Not a bad schedule I guess, though I think the players would probably prefer to play in the evening in summer.

Guess CPL is claiming Sunday afternoon.  Can live with that.  I can day drink.

May Day in Winnipeg.  Nice.

Good spread, haven't looked at the schedule but assuming that July gap allows for Vs Cup?

19 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-set-to-open-2022-training-camp

"training camp is scheduled to open with testing and physicals on the weekend and the first on-field session coming Monday morning"

No real news in the article except Jean-Baptiste, Walter Ponce, Daniel Ascanio won’t be in Winnipeg for the start of camp.  Tomy is not in the "who isn't returning" list, is not mentioned at all.

Short list of players mentioned as attending, must be many more trialists and yet-to-be-named signed players.

also: https://northerntribune.ca/valour-fc-preseason-2022/

I know he won't really make an impact due to his age, but Tsai isn't mentioned either. It seems that both players who were on Canadian Developmental contacts aren't mentioned at all. 

8 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Guess CPL is claiming Sunday afternoon.  Can live with that.  I can day drink.

May Day in Winnipeg.  Nice.

Good spread, haven't looked at the schedule but assuming that July gap allows for Vs Cup?

Overall the schedule is very light on weekday matches. All Saturdays in the playoffs. Regular season breakdown:

• Monday match days: 3
  • Tuesdays: 6
  • Wednesdays: 8
  • Thursdays: 4
  • Fridays: 16
  • Saturdays: 39
  • Sundays: 37

https://canpl.ca/schedule

As a fan, if I've got to have weekend game days I'd prefer Saturdays, but I'm guessing Valour asked for Sundays. 

On 2/9/2022 at 1:37 PM, toontownman said:

Hope they re-sign Ricci.   Riggi instead of Ricci is a downgrade imo. 

"Valour doesn’t expect Jean-Baptiste to be ready to go to start camp as he works to fully recover from the ACL/meniscus injury"

Jean-Baptiste's knee went on July 18, Ricci's two months later on Sep 15.  It would make sense that Ricci is also still recovering.  Perhaps Valour have Ricci "on hold" until May or June.

56 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Good eye. It looks like the black shirts are the keepers. Yesli on the far right, but the one at the back left definitely looks to be Quillan Roberts. 

Good call on Roberts...

"Valour has five players in camp on a trial.

-GK Evan Barker: Winnipeg product; University of New Brunswick/FC Manitoba product.

-GK Quillan Roberts: Toronto product who is currently a player/coach for 1812 FC Barrie of League1 Ontario. Made nine starts for Forge FC in 2019.

-D Aaron Hidalgo: Winnipegger who has been part of Valour’s camps before. University of Saskatchewan product who started 10 games for the Huskies last season.

-F Caden Tomy: Another Winnipegger, Tomy made four appearances for Valour in 2021.

-F Ryan Robinson: A product of the TFC Academy who also spent time last fall with FC Manitoba."

...no midfielders in that list!?!

3 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Good call on Roberts...

"Valour has five players in camp on a trial.

-GK Evan Barker: Winnipeg product; University of New Brunswick/FC Manitoba product.

-GK Quillan Roberts: Toronto product who is currently a player/coach for 1812 FC Barrie of League1 Ontario. Made nine starts for Forge FC in 2019.

-D Aaron Hidalgo: Winnipegger who has been part of Valour’s camps before. University of Saskatchewan product who started 10 games for the Huskies last season.

-F Caden Tomy: Another Winnipegger, Tomy made four appearances for Valour in 2021.

-F Ryan Robinson: A product of the TFC Academy who also spent time last fall with FC Manitoba."

...no midfielders in that list!?!

I always assumed that Tomy was a midfielder? I know I get confused by some of the positional classification on the CPL website at times, but who knows? 

Wonder if Hidalgo will get a shot this time? He ALWAYS seems to be at the training camps and was even available in the draft. 

16 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I want to see Hidalgo finally get a shot. Robinson looks pretty handy too. I'd also put money in Tomy returning but I think Sirois will be back so you can rule out Barker and Roberts. 

Roberts is likely "Plan B".

Hidalgo, Robinson, Tomy, Roberts, Barker, Lyn, Carlos... any of these could be Valour's loans to Edmonton.  I don't think it has been officially stated but I suspect loaning players will be mandatory (or perhaps financially incentivized) for each team.  3 players per team?

23 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Roberts is likely "Plan B".

Hidalgo, Robinson, Tomy, Roberts, Barker, Lyn, Carlos... any of these could be Valour's loans to Edmonton.  I don't think it has been officially stated but I suspect loaning players will be mandatory (or perhaps financially incentivized) for each team.  3 players per team?

Yeah, I had a feeling that there will be some "requirement" to loan players to Edmonton. I know York have already sent 3. Edmonton have retained 2 so, if every team sent 3 across, that would give Edmonton a 23 man squad. I don't think clubs will be obliged to send 3 players though, but at least 1.

I am guessing that each team has to "pay" for 3 spots on the Edmonton roster, with the option to fill with their own loaned players or allow Edmonton to fill with a player.

Trialists are not going to fill the holes in the Valour midfield.  Edmonton castoffs (Shome, ???), Vancouver castoff (Meltcalfe) are the most obvious options to me.  Hoping that dos Santos solid options lined-up.

6 hours ago, K Edgar said:

I am guessing that each team has to "pay" for 3 spots on the Edmonton roster, with the option to fill with their own loaned players or allow Edmonton to fill with a player.

Trialists are not going to fill the holes in the Valour midfield.  Edmonton castoffs (Shome, ???), Vancouver castoff (Meltcalfe) are the most obvious options to me.  Hoping that dos Santos solid options lined-up.

I'm surprised that Shome hasn't been picked up yet. Wasn't he in the MLS for a spell too? I think we missed a trick with Aird though. Would have been a handy player to have around again. 

Side note, I am surprised that Atletico Ottawa were able to nab Tabla. Decent signing there. 

5 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I'm surprised that Shome hasn't been picked up yet. Wasn't he in the MLS for a spell too? I think we missed a trick with Aird though. Would have been a handy player to have around again. 

Side note, I am surprised that Atletico Ottawa were able to nab Tabla. Decent signing there. 

Smells like a retirement. Always felt like he returned home to Edmonton to establish his career outside football and still playing at CPL level in his hometown was a bonus. Hope he is back though.

Valour FC today announce the team has signed Canadian midfielder Matthew Catavolo to a multi-year deal.

Catavolo, 19, joins Valour FC after spending his youth career with the CF Montreal academy.

“Matthew has a lot of quality on the ball and reads the game well for his age,” said Valour FC Head Coach & GM Phillip Dos Santos. “He has a great upbringing through the academy level with CF Montreal, and we feel he has huge upside and lots of potential to grow.”

Internationally, Catavolo was a part of the U17 Canadian national team for both the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup and the 2019 CONCACAF U-17 Championship, where he totalled 519 minutes played in eight appearances.

Edited by K Edgar
details added