Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

8 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

It does says "Left-back, midfielder" on "Zoom's" wikipedia page.  I still don't see anyone, other than Gutierrez, on the new roster that replaces their losses in the midfield -- Levis, Aleman, even Galhardo.

Levis: perpetually injured

Galhardo: allergic to defending

Aleman: allergic to passing

In my opinion, it shouldn't take much to replace these losses. But sticking with Fordyce, Ohin and a cloud of smoke isn't going to do it.

8 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I agree. We are looking a little thin in midfield. I know he isn't of the calibre of Levis, Aleman or Galhardo, but I think Tomy will stick around again. I'm surprised at how few midfielders are on trial personally. 

Do you think Gutierrez will play on midfield or at right back? I know back when he was first the club, he played a lot higher. 

Gutierrez is a MF in Wikipedia, who am I to argue with that.  I count 8 defenders on the roster already (Jean-Baptiste, Romeo, Mikhael, Cebara, Baquero, Pena, Esparza, De Brienne), MF are in short supply.  Dos Santos may shuffle the position of some of those listed as defenders.  De Brienne played left winger and striker last year for Carleton.

23 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Yeah, Dos Santos does seem to like players he has worked with before. Did I read that he has worked with Riggi before too? 

As you say Dos Santos likes players he has worked with before.  I was expecting former Whitecap players on the list of trialists at this year's Valour camp, which was not the case.  (At least not on the list of names they released)

Last year Valour had former Whitecap Georges Mukumbilwa at camp but he was unable to make the team.

Yes, Riggi had played for Dos Santos before -- Francophone games (https://valourfc.canpl.ca/video/alessandro-riggi-training-camp-feb-15)

9 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Sirios now listed as "Loaned Out" on CF Montreal roster page. (https://en.cfmontreal.com/roster/)

Rea is not no among those listed as loaned.  Giraldo (loaned to Edmonton last year) and Yao (Cavalry last year) are the other 2.

Yeah, I've just noticed that. 'Unavailable' but not 'loaned out'. Surely it would say 'injured' if that was the case? 

Someone tweeted yesterday that Valour FC has now resigned Brett Levis.  I have no knowledge if @ValourFury is a reliable source.  In another tweet he points out the Esparza does not appear to be in peak condition early in training camp.  They go say the camera adds 10 lbs?

FMT9V3kXwAYArXi?format=jpg&name=large

3 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Someone tweeted yesterday that Valour FC has now resigned Brett Levis.  I have no knowledge if @ValourFury is a reliable source.  In another tweet he points out the Esparza does not appear to be in peak condition early in training camp.  They go say the camera adds 10 lbs?

FMT9V3kXwAYArXi?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, he does look a little "off the pace". but to re-sign someone who is injury prone when you have Hidalgo-Mazzei (who is now at his THIRD training camp) who would be more than capable in the short term? Just seems kinda pointless. Levis will get injured and Esparza wont be able to cope with the physical demands. Unless they are planning to drop Pena or de Brienne back?

Can't say I've ever seen anything from @ValourFury on twitter, but, if it was true, I would feel sorry for Hidalgo-Mazzei.

6 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Yeah, he does look a little "off the pace". but to re-sign someone who is injury prone when you have Hidalgo-Mazzei (who is now at his THIRD training camp) who would be more than capable in the short term? Just seems kinda pointless. Levis will get injured and Esparza wont be able to cope with the physical demands. Unless they are planning to drop Pena or de Brienne back?

Can't say I've ever seen anything from @ValourFury on twitter, but, if it was true, I would feel sorry for Hidalgo-Mazzei.

At this point I would say there is room for Levis and Hidalgo-Mazzei on the roster.  Wrap him in bubble pack and put Levis out there.  Is Hidalgo not a defender?

7 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

At this point I would say there is room for Levis and Hidalgo-Mazzei on the roster.  Wrap him in bubble pack and put Levis out there.  Is Hidalgo not a defender?

My understanding is, and from what I've seen on various sites, Hidalgo-Mazzei can play left back, centre back and, if required, left wing back.

Didnt Levis play predominantly at left back? I know he is very versatile in terms of where he can play and I can, to an extent, see why PDS would be interested. 

Edited by EnigMattic1

23 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Seeing as how Montreal have a game tonight, I would assume there won't be any announcements regarding the players listed as 'loaned out' until Thursday.

CF Montreal season starts on Sunday.  Loan announcements should be imminent?

3 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Thought Levi's saw out the season rather well.  But yeah...that must have been the longest stretch of footie he's played in years.  

I'd be good with giving the man another go in '22.  Hopefully he'll be less window pane this year and more "stubbie".

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

Perhaps they rate Sirois higher?

Sirois was listed in the squad group for their match yesterday.

I have no idea Ketterer is looking like 3rd choice and Sirois is still listed as 'loaned out' on their website. To be fair, their season doesn't start until the weekend and they probably won't make any announcements with regards to the 3 players who are listed as 'loaned out' until tomorrow at the earliest. Although, you also have to take match prep into account. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Is there any pressing need to announce loans before the CanPL season actually starts? Might as well keep your own players around with your own coaches if there are no competitive games happening to provide a compelling reason for them to be elsewhere.

Montreal has to be roster complaint before their first game, so two players have to go on loan or go on the injury list (season-ending I believe)  I suppose they could finalize the loan agreements now and register them with the league and announce them later, the players could still train with the team , though by Monday most CPL teams will start training and probably want the loanees with them.

9 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Montreal has to be roster complaint before their first game, so two players have to go on loan or go on the injury list (season-ending I believe)  I suppose they could finalize the loan agreements now and register them with the league and announce them later, the players could still train with the team , though by Monday most CPL teams will start training and probably want the loanees with them.

I know there is currently 3 listed as "loaned out", Sirois and Giraldo being 2 of them. But what is the deal with players listed as "unavailable"? Do you know? I ask because it was common l knowledge that we also asked for Rea back again, but he is one of the few listed as "unavailable".