Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

15 hours ago, K Edgar said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/this-is-a-good-group-that-will-always-fight-for-each-other-the-club-wraps-up-pre-season

"Meanwhile, the wait on paperwork and clearance continues for Colombian midfielder Daniel Ascanio, Chilean attacker Walter Ponce and a yet-to-be-announced third international player."

Yet-to-be-announced international would leave only 1 roster spot available.  Unless they can add short-term signing(s) to fill in until the internationals arrive.

Chances are, the final international is Romario Garcia (Colombian attacking midfielder). 

Perhaps Tomy and Hidalgo will both be signed and once the South American signees arrive (Ascanio, Ponce and the unnamed Columbian), which would put Valour over the roster limit of 23, then one of Tomy or Hidalgo will be loaned to Edmonton.  Not sure if that would work under the roster rules?

49 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Perhaps Tomy and Hidalgo will both be signed and once the South American signees arrive (Ascanio, Ponce and the unnamed Columbian), which would put Valour over the roster limit of 23, then one of Tomy or Hidalgo will be loaned to Edmonton.  Not sure if that would work under the roster rules?

Seems like others are doing it and getting away with it lol. York and Halifax at least. If they are loaned out I guess they don't count against the roster cap.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Really sucks for the guy and the team. I think sometimes too much was asked of him but he's a local and a fan favourite.

I'm not sure when he picked up the injury, but Baptiste tore his ACL in July and still isn't fully fit. Going by that logic, Ohin won't play this season. That's a loss and a half. 

44 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I'm not sure when he picked up the injury, but Baptiste tore his ACL in July and still isn't fully fit. Going by that logic, Ohin won't play this season. That's a loss and a half. 

This article states Ohin will missing the season.

https://northerntribune.ca/valour-raphael-ohin-injury-2022/

"Ohin’s agency has reported that he already underwent a successful surgery, with the midfielder now set for a long road to his recovery."

Brutal blow for the player and the team.  Leads the team in appearances.

Valour's midfield now requires a replacement.  Not sure that the current trialists (presumably Tomy and Hidalgo) can fill this hole.  Getting midfielder Ascanio into Canada and in playing condition just became more time critical.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Really sucks for the guy and the team. I think sometimes too much was asked of him but he's a local and a fan favourite.

Fan favourite definitely but not a local product exactly. Ohin was born and raised in Ghana,  soccer took him to Europe and Asia and to Winnipeg in 2016 when he signed with WSA Winnipeg. The only true local players with the team are Federico Peña and trialists Tomy and Hidalgo.

Yes U-Sport contracts count against the roster, developmental contracts do not (can play a maximum of 6 games).  For example Forge currently have 27 on their roster, I'm assuming  these players are on developmental contracts.  

Castello Sebastian 2003
Kalongo Chris 2004
Caldeira Marcus 2004
Stampatori Daniel 2004
Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

19 hours ago, K Edgar said:

This article states Ohin will missing the season.

https://northerntribune.ca/valour-raphael-ohin-injury-2022/

"Ohin’s agency has reported that he already underwent a successful surgery, with the midfielder now set for a long road to his recovery."

Brutal blow for the player and the team.  Leads the team in appearances.

Valour's midfield now requires a replacement.  Not sure that the current trialists (presumably Tomy and Hidalgo) can fill this hole.  Getting midfielder Ascanio into Canada and in playing condition just became more time critical.

Ascanio is a winger though, is he not? Should the rumoured Colombian be Romario Garcia, he can play in midfield, be it more attacking than Ohin. 

31 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Yes U-Sport contracts count against the roster, developmental contracts do not (can play a maximum of 6 games).  For example Forge currently have 27 on their roster, I'm assuming  these players are on developmental contracts.  

Castello Sebastian 2003
Kalongo Chris 2004
Caldeira Marcus 2004
Stampatori Daniel 2004

I may be wrong, but didn't we have a full roster when AJB got injured? That was before Romeo came in. Can't you sign an emergency loan or is that only goalkeepers? 

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I may be wrong, but didn't we have a full roster when AJB got injured? That was before Romeo came in. Can't you sign an emergency loan or is that only goalkeepers? 

Injured players provide roster relief but not salary cap relief.  Valour will be able to add a 24th player to replace Ohin.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

39 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Injured players provide roster relief but not salary cap relief.  Valour will be able to add a 24th player to replace Ohin.

So, technically, it will be as though Ohin hasn't been registered? I can see Levis playing in midfield this season (injuries permitting). Tomy will probably be the player to replace Ohin. Would have liked Lyn to have stayed though. Purely for versatility reasons. 

Do any of the Valour season ticket holders here have a sense of how ticket sales are going for the club this year? I've been poking around on Ticketmaster to see how the different clubs are doing (some of which seem to be doing surprisingly well this early in the season), but I'm still seeing a lot of empty seats available at IG Field. 

2 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Do any of the Valour season ticket holders here have a sense of how ticket sales are going for the club this year? I've been poking around on Ticketmaster to see how the different clubs are doing (some of which seem to be doing surprisingly well this early in the season), but I'm still seeing a lot of empty seats available at IG Field. 

No idea.  We're a month out from the 1st home date so it's getting serious.  Everyone I know has taken up their tickets this year, including some who took a pass in 2021.

I have my suspicions that head office may be pursuing a fresh marketing angle, more of a youth/family oriented approach.  That angle was always there of course but we've only had one arse season in the stands so everything is starting from scratch.

10 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Can't comment on that, but I have seen lots of billboards (well, two, in the narrow section of Winnipeg I've moved through in the last week) advertising 2022 season tickets popping up around town. Sure, they all feature a player who will miss the season (Ohin) wearing last season's jersey, but who's counting?

I'm not a STH, but the billboards highlighted that they start at $15/game, and where else can you get a bargain like that? This might be the most mainstream marketing I've seen from the team in 4 years (understandably so, for the last two, of course).

Edited by jonovision

https://www.canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-mens-u-20-national-team-camp-and-matches-for-april/

M- Matt Catavolo | CAN / Valour FC has been invited to Men’s U-20 National Team camp in Costa Rica April 10 to 22.

other CPLer's:

GK- Dino Bontis | CAN / Forge FC Hamilton

FB- Kwasi Poku | CAN / Forge FC Hamilton

M- Maxwell Piepgrass | CAN / Cavalry FC

F- Lowell Wright | CAN / York United FC

Edited by K Edgar

12 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Will start the season without Ohin, Jean-Baptiste, Catavolo, Ascanio, Ponce and the rumoured Columbian.  That would be 17 players as of now.  I would think they will be signing Tomy and Hidalgo to give them some bench.

Can confirm that both Tomy and Hidalgo will not be signing. They might be signed later in the season if any other injuries occur. Tough luck for the two local players. Not sure what else these two need to do in order to get a chance.