Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Exactly. And what is the current status of Ohin? Are we getting someone in? Is he going to be back before the end of the season? Hell, sign someone on a developmental contract (or U-Sports). With the developmental contract, it's less wages and they can play in 6 games before you either have to sign them or cut them. 

... current status of Ohin, Esparza, AJB, Ponce, Ascanio and the unnamed 23rd roster member from Columbia.  They asking a lot from the about 17 players.

43 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

... current status of Ohin, Esparza, AJB, Ponce, Ascanio and the unnamed 23rd roster member from Columbia.  They asking a lot from the about 17 players.

The unnamed Colombian is becoming a joke now. I can see it going the same way as Maza and Monge. Let's be honest, the length of time would imply they are waiting for a visa, so what do they benefit by not naming him now?

And Ascanio and Ponce still don't have a visa either. At least with Ohin and AJB, you know why they aren't available. Didn't Ponce and Ascanio get announced before Esparza? 

20 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Well hell.....here i was thinking Sirois would stand on his head, we would get a late penalty conversion and be the latest CPL team to put old VAN to the sword.  This complicates my gameplan.......

I know, could be an interesting evening come Wednesday.  Virgin ' keeper with an at times disorganized crew in front of him playing an MLS side.  Lovely.

Does highlight how fragile these rosters can make a CPL team.  A player here or there in certain positions and it's night and day.

22 hours ago, dhawk11 said:

Looking forward to seeing my Caps play your Valour team,  be nice to meeting some Valour fans at the Canadian Champs game. Maybe even trade a scarf. 

There are some pretty juicy storylines to be had...

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/we-all-know-whats-at-stake-we-all-understand-it-and-they-understand-it-too-its-one-game-its-a-knock-out-game

Will be something to behold regardless. The King's Head in dt Winnipeg should have a few faithful there. Cheers! 

3 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Could this Ponce rumour be true??  And could Ascanio and "the Columbian" be close behind?

Shame we are not lacking up front. Seriously though, he has already missed how many games? Wouldn't it make more sense to have someone who is already available?

Our squad has been thread bare due to injuries (and a Mikhael moment of madness) because we have been waiting on visas for 3 players (one of which they won't even name). 

We were lucky to have had that game postponed (although, with their current run of form, we could have pinched 3 points there) but it still isn't ideal that we are waiting on 3 players who will still have to adjust to PDS' tactical style. 

7 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Shame we are not lacking up front. Seriously though, he has already missed how many games? Wouldn't it make more sense to have someone who is already available?

Our squad has been thread bare due to injuries (and a Mikhael moment of madness) because we have been waiting on visas for 3 players (one of which they won't even name). 

We were lucky to have had that game postponed (although, with their current run of form, we could have pinched 3 points there) but it still isn't ideal that we are waiting on 3 players who will still have to adjust to PDS' tactical style. 

Agreed, the squad is far too thin.  Here is a possible reinforcement, fairly strong player from what I recall on year 1.  Has to be better than absent South Americans?

https://northerntribune.ca/louis-beland-goyette-free-agent/  

16 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Agreed, the squad is far too thin.  Here is a possible reinforcement, fairly strong player from what I recall on year 1.  Has to be better than absent South Americans?

https://northerntribune.ca/louis-beland-goyette-free-agent/  

Mate! That guy is insane!! I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Can play attacking or defensive so would provide more than adequate cover for the injured Ohin, but would also give us other options behind Dyer should Catavolo or Rea be unavailable. 

3 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Northern Tribune article (May15) entirely about FC Edmonton except the last line... "Elsewhere in the league, it looks like Valour FC’s Walter Ponce will finally be arriving to Canada."  Adds another source to the Ponce rumour tweet above.

https://northerntribune.ca/fc-edmonton-nekhi-wright/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ascanio announced before Ponce? If that is the case, surely Ascanio should have been announced too? 

My mistake, Ponce was almost 2 weeks before Ascanio. 

Edited by EnigMattic1

I hesitate to make any judgments on Valour's potential this season before they have something approaching a full roster, but it has to be encouraging that the team is in 2nd in the league (with a game or two in hand on most teams), banking points despite not always playing the best.

Rea looks like a much more confident player compared to last season.

10 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Northern Tribune article (May15) entirely about FC Edmonton except the last line... "Elsewhere in the league, it looks like Valour FC’s Walter Ponce will finally be arriving to Canada."  Adds another source to the Ponce rumour tweet above.

https://northerntribune.ca/fc-edmonton-nekhi-wright/

Ponce is in town and watched today’s game from the press box. 

2nd place, not bad for a squad of 15 players.  Exclude cameos from AJB (32 min), Mikhael (4 min then a red card) and Esparza (1 min) then Valour FC has only had 15 different players on the field in 5 CPL games.  That is a heavy workload for a very small group.  Hoping that the Ponce in Wpg rumour is true and an extra body is available for the next game.

So, basically, we have signed Ponce on the recommendation of Gutierrez?

This part of the article was VERY reassuring:

"and last year saw him drop down to the second division with AC Barnechea, where he accrued just 126 minutes of game time"

"It was at that time when Valour’s Diego Gutierrez – who was chatting with Phillip Dos Santos about his eventual return – gave the forward a glowing recommendation"

40 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So, basically, we have signed Ponce on the recommendation of Gutierrez?

This part of the article was VERY reassuring:

"and last year saw him drop down to the second division with AC Barnechea, where he accrued just 126 minutes of game time"

"It was at that time when Valour’s Diego Gutierrez – who was chatting with Phillip Dos Santos about his eventual return – gave the forward a glowing recommendation"

We shall find out if Gutierrez has a future in scouting.

7 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Honestly though, did we really need Ponce? Dyer, Akio, Riggi. Hell, even Rea can play up top. And Ricci wanted to stay. 

Could have opted for another defender and a midfielder instead of Ponce and Esparza. 

More defenders yes but when healthy AJB and Sirois are basically we need lol...and I mean we have only scored 1 goal in 3 matches🤷‍♂️

Edited by PegCityCam