Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/i-want-to-do-what-i-did-last-year-plus-even-more

"Dos Santos said Riggi and Baquero should be good to go for Sunday’s home opener at IG Field against Forge FC, while Gutiérrez will need one more week to recover from his hamstring. The status of Jean-Baptiste and the timetable for his possible return from his hamstring injury is still to be determined."

26 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Our upcoming @CPLsoccer match on Sunday May 1 versus @ForgeFCHamilton  has been postponed due to League Covid Protocols, based on advice from medical experts.

Who has the COVID cases... Valour or Forge?

Wow, got the email and assumed it was cancelled due to the poor weather forecast for the weekend. Coincidently the forecast for the new Home opener next weekend looks great! 🤔

Hopefully all affected Valour players and staff are healthy and ready to go Saturday. No excuses, weather-wise, for a poor turn out, unlike the previous 3 apocalyptic weather weekends in Winnipeg. A Saturday 2pm start is just about as good as it gets for pre-, during and post-game day-drinking.

Edited by jonovision

13 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Likely back for practices only (and wearing a no contact jersey).  Suspect he will not play a game for a couple of months.

Do they use no contact jerseys? I had honestly never heard of that concept until I read an article on the Winnipeg Jets a few months back. 

23 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Do they use no contact jerseys? I had honestly never heard of that concept until I read an article on the Winnipeg Jets a few months back. 

Hockey, American Football... I just assumed they would have the same, my mistake.

5 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Hockey, American Football... I just assumed they would have the same, my mistake.

Mate, I wasn't being negative or anything, from a coaching perspective, I actually think something like that would be a good idea if it isn't already implemented. 

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/were-just-ready-for-anything-that-comes-for-us-and-so-this-saturday-is-going-to-be-massive

"FW Willy Akio, MF Alex Riggi, MF Daryl Fordyce, D Johnny Esparza and D Andrew Jean-Baptiste did not practice on Thursday. Akio said afterward he was still hoping to go on Saturday and the same hope is there for Riggi and Fordyce.

MF Diego Gutierrez is back training, as is D Andy Baquero."

Good hear Gutierrez and Baquero will be back, they have been missed.  First mention of Esparza not practicing, not much of a loss, at least from what he has demonstrated to date.  Akio, of course, would be a massive loss.

1 hour ago, charlesmazz said:

My understanding is that the signing is short term given that Sirois for some reason cannot take part in the game this Wednesday against Vancouver.  Barker will be Yesli’s back up. 

Which would lead to the question... Why did they have injured players on the bench in games earlier this season and not sign Tomy and/or Hidalgo to similar short term contracts?

Looking forward to see what Yesli brings to the game on Wednesday.

Clarification: Valour boss Phillip Dos Santos disclosing that Jonathan Sirois will be unable to play in the Canadian Championship due to a clause in his loan agreement, it is expected that Barker will ride the bench behind Yesli for the occasion.  Yesli has yet to make a CPL appearance, but did appear in the cup competition for AS Blainville last year when they faced the Halifax Wanderers.

Edited by K Edgar
added clarification

20 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Which would lead to the question... Why did they have injured players on the bench in games earlier this season and not sign Tomy and/or Hidalgo to similar short term contracts?

Looking forward to see what Yesli brings to the game on Wednesday.

Clarification: Valour boss Phillip Dos Santos disclosing that Jonathan Sirois will be unable to play in the Canadian Championship due to a clause in his loan agreement, it is expected that Barker will ride the bench behind Yesli for the occasion.  Yesli has yet to make a CPL appearance, but did appear in the cup competition for AS Blainville last year when they faced the Halifax Wanderers.

Exactly. And what is the current status of Ohin? Are we getting someone in? Is he going to be back before the end of the season? Hell, sign someone on a developmental contract (or U-Sports). With the developmental contract, it's less wages and they can play in 6 games before you either have to sign them or cut them.