Potential Gold Cup Roster (Board Proposals)

DigzTFC

Looking ahead to Gold Cup in July, I thought I'd slap together a potential 23 man roster.

Two considerations were made:

1) Leaving in-season players with their clubs (MLS, CPL) if it would risk their jobs

2) Bringing in-season players if it would increase their value

GK
Milan Borjan
Dayne St. Clair
Maxime Crepeau

CB
Derek Cornelius
Kamal Millar
Scott Kennedy
Ricardo Ferreira
Doniel Henry

Wingbacks
Sam Adekugbe
Richie Laryea
Alistair Johnston

CM
Stephen Eustaquio
Atiba Hutchinson
Mark-Anthony Kaye
Jonathan Osorio

WING
Theo Corbeanu
Tajon Buchanon
Alphonso Davies
Liam Millar

Striker
Jonathan David
Cyle Larin
Junior Hoilett
Ayo Akinola

7 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

Looking ahead to Gold Cup in July, I thought I'd slap together a potential 23 man roster.

1) Leaving in-season players with their clubs (MLS, CPL) if it would risk their jobs

GK
Milan Borjan
Dayne St. Clair
Maxime Crepeau

CB
Derek Cornelius
Kamal Millar
Scott Kennedy
Ricardo Ferreira
Doniel Henry

Wingbacks
Sam Adekugbe
Richie Laryea
Alistair Johnston

CM
Stephen Eustaquio
Atiba Hutchinson
Mark-Anthony Kaye
Jonathan Osorio

WING
Theo Corbeanu
Tajon Buchanon
Alphonso Davies
Liam Millar

Striker
Jonathan David
Cyle Larin
Junior Hoilett
Ayo Akinola

For this reason I would probably go with Hoilett over Buchanan.  If he is starting regularly again for the Revs I would be pretty tempted to leave him where he is.  

Same with Dayne - though it would be a great chance to cap him.  Having said that I would think he wants to be part of this team and will answer the call.  If we took the chance to cap him against Aruba, I would leave him out of the GC squad.  

Always hard with the MLS guys. I would have to give more thought to who else could sub in as possible replacements for guys like Laryea.  

25 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

GK
Milan Borjan
Dayne St. Clair
Maxime Crepeau

CB
Derek Cornelius
Kamal Millar
Scott Kennedy
Ricardo Ferreira
Doniel Henry

Wingbacks
Sam Adekugbe
Richie Laryea
Alistair Johnston

CM
Stephen Eustaquio
Atiba Hutchinson
Mark-Anthony Kaye
Jonathan Osorio

WING
Theo Corbeanu
Tajon Buchanon
Alphonso Davies
Liam Millar

Striker
Jonathan David
Cyle Larin
Junior Hoilett
Ayo Akinola

This is essentially our A team, which I doubt is going to be completely available for our Gold Cup campaign, although I’d be over the moon if we sent this type of quality to the tournament. Only change I would make is maybe drop a CB and add ZBG so we can have 2 choices per full back.  

We're going with a "B" squad for this tournament. No chance we see Davies, Hutchinson, Arfield IMO. 

Rough example:

St. Clair, Crepeau, Pantemis

Cornelius, Sturing, Kennedy, Henry, Johnston, ZBG, Gutierrez, Godinho

Teibert, Baldisimo, Priso, Eustaquio, Osorio, Piette

Corbeanu, Nelson, Millar, David, Cavallini, Buchanan

I included David because of him missing this March window. Eustaquio I included because this would be his first Gold Cup.

Edit: took our Paton for Piette. Can't imagine Piette not being there if MLS is on break.

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 minute ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

This is essentially our A team, which I doubt is going to be completely available for our Gold Cup campaign, although I’d be over the moon if we sent this type of quality to the tournament. Only change I would make is maybe drop a CB and add ZBG so we can have 2 choices per full back.  

It is a very good point.  Not sure what the right answer is.  I thought Davies at LB could provide sufficient coverage and Laryea can play both sides. Plus, Kamal Millar can play FB. We always seem to be missing an extra CB at these tournaments either through injuries or cards.

I had considered trying to fit one of Lucas Dias or Marcelo Flores in the squad.  To do that would mean dropping Striker or Mid.  Tough to do and have sufficient depth. I also assumed that if they want to keep their options open they won't go to the Gold Cup

Edited by DigzTFC

We are in a Group with the US which makes for an intense game. It also means we will probably play Costa Rica or Jamaica in the Quarters.  Then Mexico in the Semi's.  If we beat Mexico and if Honduras doesn't have a strong tournament, we play the USA in the finals.  That's full value viewing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup

Group B

Pos Team
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
1 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Advance to knockout stage
2 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3 21px-Flag_of_the_Territorial_Collectivit Martinique 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  
4 23px-Flag_of_None.svg.png Winner preliminary match 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Edited by DigzTFC

Knockout stage

Bracket

Quarter-finals   Semi-finals   Final

July 2021 – TBD          

Winner Group D  

July 2021 – TBD

Runner-up Group A    

Winner Match 25  

July 2021 – TBD

Winner Match 28    

Winner Group B  

1 August 2021 – TBD

Runner-up Group C    

Winner Match 29  

July 2021 – TBD

Winner Match 30  

Winner Group A  

July 2021 – TBD  

Runner-up Group D    

Winner Match 26  

July 2021 – TBD

Winner Match 27    

Winner Group C  

Runner-up Group B    

Thinking about Considerations being made to MLS teams, and the need for players to have rest I think the GC and WCQ will have very different teams with maybe one or two overlapping. For Example, unless St. Clair is starting I don't think he's on the GC roster. I'm going to say he does though at the GC, or at least that's what I would do. I don't see Hutch at the GC only because I think he would want rest ahead of his final year and a half of playing with Besiktas. I can also see the GC having more Euro and CPL guys because the Euro dudes will be in the offseason

WCQ                                                                                              GC

GKs: Borjan, Crepeau, Carducci                                                   St. Clair, Pantemis, Hasal

DFs: Henry, Vitoria, Miller, Sam A, ZBG, Bassong, Laryea|Kennedy,Didic,Zator, Sturing, Johnston, Gutierrez,                                                                                                                         Waterman

MFs: Eustaquio, Hutch, Kaye, Osorio, Piette, Davies, Arfield |Trafford, Paton, Wotherspoon, Baldi, Fraser, Okello,                

FWs: Hoilett, David, Cavallini, Larin, Buchanon , Akinola |      Bustos, Ricketts, Nelson, JMR, Corbeanu, Millar, Tesho

I can see Ferreira being on either team but he needs a club first. I think Herdman will want the GC to see U23 guys he didn't get for the OLY and just generally add depth to the pool.

It's also a nice send-off for Ricketts at the international level if he captains the team at the Gold Cup.

Also the Akinola question needs to be resolved.

Edited by VinceA

1 hour ago, DigzTFC said:

I went to look at the MLS schedule and it plays right through July. 

Gold Cup is July 10th to August 1st (Final).

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/09/28/concacaf-2021-gold-cup-draw-usa-and-canada-face-group-stage

WCQ Aruba (June 5th) and Suriname (June 8th).

When does WCQ continue?

We would need to play two extra games in June (most likely Haiti) so I think some players will be rested and not attend the Gold Cup

20 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

We would need to play two extra games in June (most likely Haiti) so I think some players will be rested and not attend the Gold Cup

This is probably correct.  As much as I disagree, European players called for the extended camp/double window in June will probably be left out of the GC squad - 2 call ups during one off season might be asking too much.  

I probably would not call up our other European players fighting for places at their clubs.  Corbeanu, Millar (and Dias), for example, may want to stay in Europe to consolidate their spots for the upcoming season.  On the other hand, Hoilett is out of contract at the end of the season.  He might want to showcase himself for a possible move to MLS.  

25 Man Squad

Forward: Cavallini, Akindele
Wing: Hoilett, Buchanan, Tabla, Edwards, Rutty
Midfield: Osorio, Kaye, Piette, Teibert, Fraser
Full Backs: Laryea, Gutierrez, Johnston, ZBG, Cordova
Centre Backs: Miller, Cornelius, Ferreira, James, Kennedy
Keepers: Crepeau, DSC, Pantemis

6 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Mls is going break and WCQ takes priority 

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Is this confirmed?   That would really help us field a strong team.  

5 hours ago, DigzTFC said:

I went to look at the MLS schedule and it plays right through July. 

Gold Cup is July 10th to August 1st (Final).

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/09/28/concacaf-2021-gold-cup-draw-usa-and-canada-face-group-stage

WCQ Aruba (June 5th) and Suriname (June 8th).

When does WCQ continue?

MLS is taking a nearly three-week hiatus (May 30-June 18) for the June international break. Looks like there's also a short break (July 8-17) for the Gold Cup, but obviously that doesn't cover the entire tournament.