COQ | Match Thread: Canada U23 vs El Salvador U23 | March 19 @ 6:00pm EST

Shway

49 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I will be devastated if we didn't finish top two. We are not favourites after that but it's one game. 

We have difference makers in this team if we click and keep our heads. Cautiously looking forward to Monday. Hopefully a win that can ease a few nerves and let us enjoy the last group game and concentrate on the team gelling more.

I will be really disappointed if we don’t make it to the Olympics.  I really think we have the 3rd best U23 team in CONCACAF.  

10 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Neil Davidson's post game write up. Had to go to Sportsnet to get this because as far as I can tell, TSN still hasn't reported (on their website at least) that Canada won:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/buchanan-helps-canadian-men-el-salvador-olympic-soccer-qualifier/

I find TSN by far the worst at ignoring things they don’t carry.  They flog the shit out of their own properties but the rest is ignored.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

After watching this game, I'm much more optimistic about our chances (fingers crossed, knocking on wood,  etc). Of course, as a true Canadian supporter, I am also prepared for for the potential euphoria of qualifying for the Olympics only to have them cancelled. 

Qualifying for the Olympics would be super special. The cherry on the cake. 

But for me it’s about developing the winning culture, seeing a change in mindsets/approach to games that our ENTIRE men’s program needs - rather than what we hear is psychologically talked about by our gaffer.

Winning/performing even at youth levels is imperative to a complete culture shift. It can’t just happen with the men’s team and I’m hoping we see this in this tournament.

53 minutes ago, Shway said:

Qualifying for the Olympics would be super special. The cherry on the cake. 

But for me it’s about developing the winning culture, seeing a change in mindsets/approach to games that our ENTIRE men’s program needs - rather than what we hear is psychologically talked about by our gaffer.

Winning/performing even at youth levels is imperative to a complete culture shift. It can’t just happen with the men’s team and I’m hoping we see this in this tournament.

I’ve followed us since the start of the Larin/Akindele era, there is no comparison and the difference is night and day.

I know some of you guys have been around forever, I think we can all agree that we went through a dark age where we really sucked, but now there’s a clear gap between us and the teams below us. It’s clear that even a the youth level we are producing players who are more skilled than their counterparts. The volume may not be there, but let’s be real.

In 2015 if we didn’t have the TFC contingent we would consider ourselves lucky to win a game, in 2021 were short our best 2003 born, our best 2004 both of whom would have us and scouts drooling, and quite frankly our whole A team isn’t here and yet we should make the semis and perhaps pull an upset, with what is possibly our 3rd 11 at this level. We also managed to get one of the best Portugal prospects to play for us. 

we don’t have the results yet, but look have far we’ve come in such a short time, our starting goalie who may be the best or at least top 3gk is probably the 3rd best goalie we have in our pool for this age. 

I call this progress, results will follow and for fun our potential XI

St.Clair

Guti-Sturing-Kennedy-Johnston

Fraser-Baldi

Flores/Dias

Millar-Akinola-Buchanan/Corbeanu

a bench of whoever you want to name. Some duals we won and could win but 90% of this lineup is CDN born and trained, were doing something right.

7 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I’ve followed us since the start of the Larin/Akindele era, there is no comparison and the difference is night and day.

I know some of you guys have been around forever, I think we can all agree that we went through a dark age where we really sucked, but now there’s a clear gap between us and the teams below us. It’s clear that even a the youth level we are producing players who are more skilled than their counterparts. The volume may not be there, but let’s be real.

In 2015 if we didn’t have the TFC contingent we would consider ourselves lucky to win a game, in 2021 were short our best 2003 born, our best 2004 both of whom would have us and scouts drooling, and quite frankly our whole A team isn’t here and yet we should make the semis and perhaps pull an upset, with what is possibly our 3rd 11 at this level. We also managed to get one of the best Portugal prospects to play for us. 

we don’t have the results yet, but look have far we’ve come in such a short time, our starting goalie who may be the best or at least top 3gk is probably the 3rd best goalie we have in our pool for this age. 

I call this progress, results will follow and for fun our potential XI

St.Clair

Guti-Sturing-Kennedy-Johnston

Fraser-Baldi

Flores/Dias

Millar-Akinola-Buchanan/Corbeanu

a bench of whoever you want to name. Some duals we won and could win but 90% of this lineup is CDN born and trained, were doing something right.

Missing David, Davies, Miller, ZBG, Eustaquio AND ......my boy Godinho 😂

5 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I mean look Davies and David were never going to be released but yea forgot a few lol

He may be thinking of the team we could field if we actually made the Olympics.   For a country like Canada where we need to continue growing public interest in the sport, it isn’t impossible that we could get one or both of them to show up for the big show - even if it isn’t standard practice among established soccer powers.  Experiencing an Olympic  Games seems like a special sort of experience so it may not be something they would pass up.  

6 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I mean look Davies and David were never going to be released but yea forgot a few lol

Oh I guess I was confused at the post then with the guys listed. But @dyslexic nam covered my thoughts.

It's definitely not clear that Johnston is the better option than ZBG.
It's definitely not clear that Kennedy or Sturring is the better option than Cornelius, Miller ,or Montgomerry. 

Ralphy and Baldy play verrrry similar games. Very agile, quick, ball winning box to box midfielders.
Okello and Fraser are different, but to me I would have Okello because of the guys above.
Then you have Metcalfe if he improves his performance, may have a breakout. 

Flores/Dias/Corbeanu....we need to see first. Because I would prefer Nelson, Tabla, Brym, and even Borges. 
I need to SEE the hype, before I can believe the hype. 

However what we have is great situation where a lot of guys are getting an opportunity to display themselves. The ones who were frowned upon, impressed greatly in game 1 and I hope they continue to do so.  So our pool at this age is increasing deepening. 

Oh yea if you thought a 20 man roster was bad, believe it or not the Olympics is an 18 man roster. 

9 hours ago, MtlMario said:

........and they call themselves "Canada's Sports Leader"😎

Yes but a lot of MLS players on the Canadian team a league that they have a contract with and show games from . Therefore, you would think they would give the Canadian Olympic team some coverage.

On 3/21/2021 at 12:16 PM, Shway said:

Oh I guess I was confused at the post then with the guys listed. But @dyslexic nam covered my thoughts.

It's definitely not clear that Johnston is the better option than ZBG.
It's definitely not clear that Kennedy or Sturring is the better option than Cornelius, Miller ,or Montgomerry. 

Ralphy and Baldy play verrrry similar games. Very agile, quick, ball winning box to box midfielders.
Okello and Fraser are different, but to me I would have Okello because of the guys above.
Then you have Metcalfe if he improves his performance, may have a breakout. 

Flores/Dias/Corbeanu....we need to see first. Because I would prefer Nelson, Tabla, Brym, and even Borges. 
I need to SEE the hype, before I can believe the hype. 

However what we have is great situation where a lot of guys are getting an opportunity to display themselves. The ones who were frowned upon, impressed greatly in game 1 and I hope they continue to do so.  So our pool at this age is increasing deepening. 

Oh yea if you thought a 20 man roster was bad, believe it or not the Olympics is an 18 man roster. 

I agree with Johnston vs ZBG, the CB’s not as much and in the Mid I’ll agreed with Okello vs a Fraser.

I get what you’re saying abojt Hype vs actual.

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

...the CB’s not as much and in the Mid I’ll agreed with Okello vs a Fraser.

Just for perspective... Cornelius has played at higher levels than Kennedy. 
Derek was playing 1st division in Serbia, vs Scott in Austrian 2nd division. 
They now play in MLS and Bundesliga 2.

I strongly think MLS has way better attackers than in the B2, never mind the overall quality of the teams.
So solely based on what Ive seen from both/career play...Derek has the edge for me. However I do understand not everything is clear cut.

Jury is still out on Frank as no one has seen him play in an actual game.

39 minutes ago, Shway said:

Just for perspective... Cornelius has played at higher levels than Kennedy. 
Derek was playing 1st division in Serbia, vs Scott in Austrian 2nd division. 
They now play in MLS and Bundesliga 2.

I strongly think MLS has way better attackers than in the B2, never mind the overall quality of the teams.
So solely based on what Ive seen from both/career play...Derek has the edge for me. However I do understand not everything is clear cut.

Jury is still out on Frank as no one has seen him play in an actual game.

This is fair and true. But Kennedy is a starter there no ? Cornelius isn’t.

Sturing was a starter at a higher level.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

This is fair and true. But Kennedy is a starter there no ? Cornelius isn’t.

He always seems on a smaller margin for error with his play under Dos Santos, but that's probably just my biased impression.  Based on what I have seen of his play compared to other CBs in MLS (let alone his own team), I think he would be a guy to get the benefit of the doubt if he had an off night as opposed to getting the hook right away next match.

(As some long time posters on here might know, I'm not normally a guy to wave the flag and suffer from passport bias when I assess players.  It's just my two bits, regardless of nationality or supposed pedigree.)

Edited by BearcatSA

43 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

He always seems on a smaller margin for error with his play under Dos Santos, but that's probably just my biased impression.  Based on what I have seen of his play compared to other CBs in MLS (let alone his own team), I think he would be a guy to get the benefit of the doubt if he had an off night as opposed to getting the hook right away next match.

(As some long time posters on here might know, I'm not normally a guy to wave the flag and suffer from passport bias when I assess players.  It's just my two bits, regardless of nationality or supposed pedigree.)

No I agree with you in full. I watched enough whitecaps to feel like MB and DC are getting shafted a bit under MDS.