COQ | Match Thread: Canada U23 vs El Salvador U23 | March 19 @ 6:00pm EST

Shway

8 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I posted about this before but the pathway is working, it’s early but we will see more of guys who didn’t play for TFC and Can PL but made it anyways. Vaughn being the other Sigma is great, and we’ll see more of it. 

we’re missing so much talent, covid sucked but in 2 years our team is going to be so deep for this age with top top talent. 

We also have to thank the NCAA along with youth clubs like Vaughan and Sigma . What these Academies and youth clubs have done is built up some good connections with a bunch of good NCAA schools . Vaughan and Sigma expose their players to a lot of these NCAA schools through their connections and a lot of their players end up getting scholarships with some top schools, where players like Johnston and Buchanan where able to have good seasons with their respective NCAA schools and got drafted  by MLS teams. Therefore, as we have seen there is still value in having an MLS draft which a lot of time drafts players that like a Buchanan was missed by for example our youth national teams and even TFC academy. With the introduction of the CPL now another option has opened along with the NCAA route . I think you will eventually also see young players take the CPL route and do well there and eventually find their way to the MLS and hopefully to an even higher level league. The NCAA route is still not a bad option as we have seen and clubs like Sigma and Vaughan have sent many players to the NCAA , do well in the NCAA and you can find yourself in the MLS pretty quickly and doing well like Buchanan and Johnston .

10/10 of importance is the W- team played well= worried a bit we would have a Borjan or Henry moment from our keeper - but what is a Canada game without the nerves!

Less important but curious - Does anyone know why they wore that red kit yesterday? And not the new Nike kit- I will take the W over how they looked dressed but am wondering- thanks 

Laughed my ass off at Godinho's reaction to the advertising board. Good to see him look so at ease. Other positives were Baldisimo and Metcalfe. Hopefully the former isn't injured because we definitely need him. And the latter I've heard pretty mediocre things about but he looked really good and is a perfect fit for Baldi.

We still gave ES way too many looks for my liking. In the end they didn't really come close to a goal but that was more due to bad finishing and decision making than anything - a better team would have scored or at least created better chances with their openings. I'm also pretty concerned that we don't have an out-and-out striker on the roster. I already thought Bair was better as a winger than as a #9 and based on this game I think that's even more true for Brym. Perruzza probably wouldn't have been available due to the covid breakout and the likes of Akinola, David, and even Millar wouldn't have realistically been allowed by their clubs to play here but I do wonder if they could have called up Ongaro or perhaps Terran Campbell

Overall considering so many of our guys are still in pre-season mode a pretty good first game. Lots of things to work on and sloppy mistakes to eliminate but we also looked very good at times. Thought are players were all more or less solid, with the exception of Buchanan who was A+ yesterday. Good to watch Canada play again!

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

We also have to thank the NCAA along with youth clubs like Vaughan and Sigma . What these Academies and youth clubs have done is built up some good connections with a bunch of good NCAA schools . Vaughan and Sigma expose their players to a lot of these NCAA schools through their connections and a lot of their players end up getting scholarships with some top schools, where players like Johnston and Buchanan where able to have good seasons with their respective NCAA schools and got drafted  by MLS teams. Therefore, as we have seen there is still value in having an MLS draft which a lot of time drafts players that like a Buchanan was missed by for example our youth national teams and even TFC academy. With the introduction of the CPL now another option has opened along with the NCAA route . I think you will eventually also see young players take the CPL route and do well there and eventually find their way to the MLS and hopefully to an even higher level league. The NCAA route is still not a bad option as we have seen and clubs like Sigma and Vaughan have sent many players to the NCAA , do well in the NCAA and you can find yourself in the MLS pretty quickly and doing well like Buchanan and Johnston .

Exactly.

i agree, I’ve been saying this but our MLS teams will start to have a big advantage in their backyard as they’ll get to pluck the best CDNs from the can PL and use them as depth and a key piece may emerge. I think it will be a while before you see other MLS teams try this strategy.

the pool will only get deeper and more academies will emerge. In 10 years a Buchanan won’t start for us because we’ll be that much better.

I truly believe we are on our way, in my mind yesterday there was no doubt that we were a cut above (probably more) than our rivals yesterday. It was clear we had more ability on the ball and that physically they were overmatched. We gave them their chances and that can be attributed to rust and lack of cohesion. A fit Canada team could have 5-0 and this is our C+/b- team for this level.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Well put. The main thing that has to change now is post-covid the CSA needs to be calling these non-MLS academy players to their youth teams and get them familiar with the NT program/teammates. We have tons of evidence now that the private academies, small clubs and even universities are capable of actively producing quality, talented professional soccer players. At the very least we can't have any more 100% MLS academy U17 teams when even the greatest academies in the world will miss out on some hidden gems in their area.

biggest change for young Canadians is the success of Davies and David. There are more "eyes" on them now and If reports are accurate re Tajon and JMR... Opportunity for this U23 team to put themselves in the shop window with good performances Think the 3 Cdn MLS  teams will have some competition for prospects going forward, especially if they don't play them

57 minutes ago, DavemTFC said:

Well put. The main thing that has to change now is post-covid the CSA needs to be calling these non-MLS academy players to their youth teams and get them familiar with the NT program/teammates. We have tons of evidence now that the private academies, small clubs and even universities are capable of actively producing quality, talented professional soccer players. At the very least we can't have any more 100% MLS academy U17 teams when even the greatest academies in the world will miss out on some hidden gems in their area.

Part of it has to do with a poor scouting network, the reality is the CSA doesn’t have money for camps and to hire full time scouts. We’re a long way from there, however as the Can PL gets established we will miss less players as they will be identified either through their academies or local partnerships. 

Atletico is making inroads in Ottawa and to be fair to the Whitecaps they don’t find Davies if they don’t invest heavily in their academy centres. 

We do have move away from the MLS academy only Youth teams and I’d imagine you’ll start to see that, we might not get camps yet but we shall see. The reality is we need money to hold ID camps and youth   games etc. 

Aside from the obvious great  game from Tajon, I was happy for good games from Ballou, Godinho and Metcalfe.

The only real disappointments for me were Brym and Bair.  Thought they would contribute more, especially Bair.

Dias looked okay.  He made some nice runs into space, but his teammates preferred the other options they had.

42 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Pantemis was excellent. He came really close to a few Triston Henry moments but his distribution was good.

We let them have way too many efforts, though to be fair some were a result of poor refereeing. Good result but not dominant as it’s being made out by some. 

I'm hoping Pantemis will win the #1 starting position with CF Montréal, probably more likely now with Nancy, Diop seemed to be Henry's choice.

Based on this thread, the CSA should look to Monroe shot absorbers as a sponsor for this team because the bandwagon is starting to load. 😉

Kidding aside, if this team has a strong run here and even gets an Olympic berth, does that get Biello back in the club coaching picture somewhere?

41 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Based on this thread, the CSA should look to Monroe shot absorbers as a sponsor for this team because the bandwagon is starting to load. 😉

Kidding aside, if this team has a strong run here and even gets an Olympic berth, does that get Biello back in the club coaching picture somewhere?

Only three years until the next Olympics, just saying...