Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Solid signing. Now for that number 10. 

Edit: An interesting read. Not sure why they felt the need to post it, although I enjoyed seeing how they operate. Doesn't it open them up for criticism like why the heck did "player x, y and z" you just signed play so terribly then if you went through all of these processes?

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2021/01/26/recruitment-caicedo

Yeah, I always enjoy that kind of behind the scenes look at a club. I don't think it opens them up to any additional criticism if he doesn't succeed. The discussion just shifts to "what part of this process failed and why".

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, I always enjoy that kind of behind the scenes look at a club. I don't think it opens them up to any additional criticism if he doesn't succeed. The discussion just shifts to "what part of this process failed and why".

It certainly has a better optic than Schuster saying that they used too many different formations last year and messed up their continuity.

I think he'll be a good signing but probably the only really impactful attacking one.   

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I think he'll be a good signing but probably the only really impactful attacking one.   

Maybe.  The difference between this year and last year is that last year I felt the club signed Cavalini and then hung a "Mission Acccomplished" banner, and were shocked when fans wanted them to sign someone who could actually get him the ball.  This year feels like Caicedo is a big signing but they know they need more.

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Maybe.  The difference between this year and last year is that last year I felt the club signed Cavalini and then hung a "Mission Acccomplished" banner, and were shocked when fans wanted them to sign someone who could actually get him the ball.  This year feels like Caicedo is a big signing but they know they need more.

They know they need more, but I think they will be losing out in the bidding for ideal candidates who check the boxes they've thoroughly described in the p.r. for the Caicedo  signing.  

26 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

They know they need more, but I think they will be losing out in the bidding for ideal candidates who check the boxes they've thoroughly described in the p.r. for the Caicedo  signing.  

Oh, I don't disagree.  My point is that last year they signed Cavalini and thought they were done.  This year they've signed Caicedo and know they're not done, even if I'm not convinced they'll be able to pull off getting the #10 they need.

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Oh, I don't disagree.  My point is that last year they signed Cavalini and thought they were done.  This year they've signed Caicedo and know they're not done, even if I'm not convinced they'll be able to pull off getting the #10 they need.

Well, one possible plus is that they are not integrating a bunch of new faces here.  Maybe they add one or two more (RB, for one), but there is continuity in the side.  It is a big plus when you are starting off the season with familiarity, even if they end up being the Portland Whitecaps again.  I would be shocked to see the same level of disjointedness I watched from the team in the restart of MLS following the MiB tourney.

I expected that type of back up signing ahead of Boehmer being promoted, a cheap, Jon Conway-type journeyman vet who will step in occasionally while Crepeau gets the lion's share of starts and Hasal gets a season loan (with a recall notice should another injury crisis occur).

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Has the French league's transfer window closed yet? Given the financial crisis in that league, the Whitecaps should maybe be shopping for their #10 there.

Transfer windows only apply to incoming transfers. As long as the North American window is open, the only thing preventing the Whitecaps signing players from the French league is the French clubs willingness to sell while being unable to buy in a replacement. And the 'Caps being able to agree on a fee, salary, etc....

15 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Transfer windows only apply to incoming transfers. As long as the North American window is open, the only thing preventing the Whitecaps signing players from the French league is the French clubs willingness to sell while being unable to buy in a replacement. And the 'Caps being able to agree on a fee, salary, etc....

Ah yes.  I guess I always just think of it as being fully closed, since teams don't typically want to transfer someone out without a replacement able to come in.  In that case....the Whitecaps really should be paying attention to the French leagues.  Might be some bargains to be had shortly.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

With a need for competition and/or depth at RB, maybe they would have a look at Farsi.  I have never seen him play but he has garnered some good reviews from several around this forum so who knows?

Farsi has loads of talent but I’d say Kadin Chung is more prepared for the next step. 

20 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Farsi has loads of talent but I’d say Kadin Chung is more prepared for the next step. 

There's a lot of former Whitecaps Academy players in the CPL now, and it will be interesting to see if the Whitecaps circle back and pick one up.  I'm not sure Chung is the player they'll do it with, but you never know.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

There's a lot of former Whitecaps Academy players in the CPL now, and it will be interesting to see if the Whitecaps circle back and pick one up.  I'm not sure Chung is the player they'll do it with, but you never know.

I really don't see this club buying back guys that they owned before.

17 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I really don't see this club buying back guys that they owned before.

At a point someone in MLS has to look at some of these cpl guys even as bargain depth, it floors my mind that not one team invited Didic or Zator to camp for even a tryout. 

5 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

At a point someone in MLS has to look at some of these cpl guys even as bargain depth, it floors my mind that not one team invited Didic or Zator to camp for even a tryout. 

Probably because they think there might not be a season (ie loans flying out of MLS), plus there are dozens of USL guys they are already ignoring.  

14 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Whether you like it or not, most MLS teams don't know enough about CPL yet I'd guess. US bias probably plays a bit too, thinking USL is superior to CPL