Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

So that there is a good season. A winning record, equal GF and GA. 12th in the league (tied for 11th), just 12 points off the conference leader. And considering we had to play away the first third or so of the year. 

The team lost points early playing in Utah, often from late goals against. Then settled in and basically has been one of the toughest teams in the league since July. A team with a bit of a thin bench (Cavallini, Ricketts, neither are proper striker subs as we sit), but with a good core. Also nice to see a good crowd, last day of the year it finally came around. 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So that there is a good season. A winning record, equal GF and GA. 12th in the league (tied for 11th), just 12 points off the conference leader. And considering we had to play away the first third or so of the year. 

The team lost points early playing in Utah, often from late goals against. Then settled in and basically has been one of the toughest teams in the league since July. A team with a bit of a thin bench (Cavallini, Ricketts, neither are proper striker subs as we sit), but with a good core. Also nice to see a good crowd, last day of the year it finally came around. 

If you had said to me after the first 1/3 of the year that Vancouver would qualify for the playoffs and Montreal would not have, I would not have believed you.  Big turnaround.  Congrats to the Caps.

This group of players shows a lot of the brotherhood and grit and resilience that our men's national team have been showing. Great to see! They played well against a very good team tonight. (Not sure Cava is a great fit with this group anymore, but let's see how things unfold during the offseason. He's under contract for a couple more years, no?)

Also great to see (and hear) 25,000 fans at BC Place tonight. Would be nice to win in Kansas, maybe see a playoff game on home soil (turf), and continue rebuilding the fan base and culture. Loving the tradition of signing "Stand By Me" with the fans.  

If we play the US in Vancouver in January, then we'll pack 40,000 into the stands, maybe more. 

10 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

This group of players shows a lot of the brotherhood and grit and resilience that our men's national team have been showing. Great to see! They played well against a very good team tonight. (Not sure Cava is a great fit with this group anymore, but let's see how things unfold during the offseason. He's under contract for a couple more years, no?)

Also great to see (and hear) 25,000 fans at BC Place tonight. Would be nice to win in Kansas, maybe see a playoff game on home soil (turf), and continue rebuilding the fan base and culture. Loving the tradition of signing "Stand By Me" with the fans.  

If we play the US in Vancouver in January, then we'll pack 40,000 into the stands, maybe more. 

If we get 4 or 6 points in Edmonton this week, I can't see anything but a sellout at BC Place in January.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If we get 4 or 6 points in Edmonton this week, I can't see anything but a sellout at BC Place in January.

Correct me if I am wrong but we were pretty close to a sell out last cycle against Mexico and we weren't very good (and it wasn't even the hex). I suspect the travelling US support would be less but not far off the Mexicans from then but the Canadian support will have increased exponentially even with 3 points this window.  So I would expect an easy sell out.

8 hours ago, An Observer said:

Correct me if I am wrong but we were pretty close to a sell out last cycle against Mexico and we weren't very good (and it wasn't even the hex). I suspect the travelling US support would be less but not far off the Mexicans from then but the Canadian support will have increased exponentially even with 3 points this window.  So I would expect an easy sell out.

I would agree, and there's more: Davies coming back to BC Place is as much as a homecoming as Edmonton would be. He's returning to his first pro club and his pro origins, the team that basically discovered him. So that is a major incentive as well.

I hope the CSA can swing it to get as many tickets as possible into Canada fan hands. I am even in favour of getting Caps supporters into the loop, let them have a first shot at tix as well. 

If the Caps could fill the lower bowl last night, Canada can double that. 

15 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Not sure Cava is a great fit with this group anymore, but let's see how things unfold during the offseason. He's under contract for a couple more years, no?

He has one more year to go on his contract. I would not be shocked to see the Caps try to move him and get him off the books. It was always a bad signing.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I would agree, and there's more: Davies coming back to BC Place is as much as a homecoming as Edmonton would be. He's returning to his first pro club and his pro origins, the team that basically discovered him. So that is a major incentive as well.

I hope the CSA can swing it to get as many tickets as possible into Canada fan hands. I am even in favour of getting Caps supporters into the loop, let them have a first shot at tix as well. 

Yeah, the Davies homecoming alone will be a massive draw, but if we can come into the January window sitting on 13 or more points, then we might get as many as 50K into the building.  We had close to that for the Mexico match, did we not.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Vancouver is a great destination in and of itself let alone in the throws of a great rivalry. .  It’s going to sell out no matter what 

4 hours ago, Big_M said:

Season is over after a playoff loss to SKC...good job for making playoffs...lots of off season questions

Main ones? 

For me the core 15-16 is solid. A few players seem a bit bare minimum, and always have (Nerwinski).

Others deserve more minutes, which having a good start to the season would help.

We need a stronger 2nd striker or Cavallini needs to get back to work (he's risking not going to Qatar if we qualify, and it'll be his fault). Ricketts, how old is he (asking if he has any CPL years left)? 

The coach deserves to continue, on paper; but really the team needs a premium experienced manager, regardless of the nationality. 

First question if of course the coach...think the easy answer is to make Sartini the head coach but Schuster must have been looking around in the last few weeks to know the options...but shouldnt be forgotten that more than five mls teams are looking for a coach so that could make it harder

Then Cavallini...hes a DP but not playing like one...what does the team want and what does he want and is there interest from a foreign club to buy him...for his family Canada must be a good place to live but his club situation is not great and he might be tempted to move

Another question is Bruno Gaspar, hes on loan with a purchase option and did well overall + hes at a good age, not too old

Cavallini and Gauld as DP's so place for another, they should use it if they really want to play for the top spots and go far

Then the contracts ending...lots of them are defenders...do they keep going with them or look for better...Jungwirith, Rose, Gutierrez, Brown, Godinho

Dajome is of course a big question with his contract ending

Baldisimo and Metcalfe...not only their contracts ending but do they finally accept to join Philippines national team with the possibility to qualify for asian cup 2023

Ricketts is 34 so still could have something left for cpl

23 hours ago, Big_M said:

First question if of course the coach...think the easy answer is to make Sartini the head coach but Schuster must have been looking around in the last few weeks to know the options...but shouldnt be forgotten that more than five mls teams are looking for a coach so that could make it harder

Then Cavallini...hes a DP but not playing like one...what does the team want and what does he want and is there interest from a foreign club to buy him...for his family Canada must be a good place to live but his club situation is not great and he might be tempted to move

Another question is Bruno Gaspar, hes on loan with a purchase option and did well overall + hes at a good age, not too old

Cavallini and Gauld as DP's so place for another, they should use it if they really want to play for the top spots and go far

Then the contracts ending...lots of them are defenders...do they keep going with them or look for better...Jungwirith, Rose, Gutierrez, Brown, Godinho

Dajome is of course a big question with his contract ending

Baldisimo and Metcalfe...not only their contracts ending but do they finally accept to join Philippines national team with the possibility to qualify for asian cup 2023

Ricketts is 34 so still could have something left for cpl

Gaspar is an easy one - You should in no way pick up the option to buy him.  It was an interesting gamble at $200k but he was not at all worth a buy + a salary increase.

Jungwirth they've already indicated they'll pick up the option on.  Gutierrez and Brown you keep (and hope Gutierrez can stay healthy). Rose you release. Godinho could go either way. He counts as a domestic at least but I haven't been overly impressed with him.

Is Dajome's contract really already up?  They just went with a 2 year deal?  That doesn't seem right.  There must be an option in there at least.

Cavallini - explore every option to move him along.

Baldisimo - I'd bring him back. I like what he brings in theory, we just need to see it more often. Metcalf can go unless you're trying to make up the domestic numbers.  Ricketts can also go.

Sartini - I think they're going to give him the job. But I wish I knew who else had applied or shown interest. I'd take him over promoting an assistant manager from somewhere or promoting up another lower league manager, but my concern is if teams have figured out his style and if he can adapt to them. 

I'll add another decision here - Do they keep Crepeau and if so do they keep or move Hasal?

^The interesting thing is that the way the club set up tactically and played under Sartini would probably have suited Ali Adnan to a tee. 

I would ditch both Gaspar (too pricey) and Godinho (didn't show enough) and let Overheul do his analytics scouting voodoo to get moneyball replacements.  Along with Gutierrez, Godoy has to show durability as well.

Along with others, I am disappointed that Baldi couldn't take his game to the next level this year.  I honestly don't think the formation does him any favours because he  doesn't have enough tools in his kit for the role.  He might be better in a 4-2-3-1 alongside a destroyer while he pings those long diagonals to either flank as he serves as a deep lying distribution conduit.   Caio Alexandre's return does not help his cause, either.

Metcalfe didn't make the bench in the last couple of matches.  He's a Cancon numbers game body. Raposo's minutes, apart from a needed squad rotation start vs Houston, almost completely evaporated under Sartini, as well, and the arrival of Vite and the continued development of the young Habibullah might be factors next year.

I think they will eat Cavallini's deal to move him in this transfer window.  It's best for both parties.  Probably back to Mexico where he is a proven commodity.  

I think they are more likely to loan Hasal and keep Newton as a back up in 2022.  Boehmer would be the U23 and third keeper.  Crepeau is the work horse.

Isn't it nice that the Caps shouldn't be looking at wholesale changes at the end of a season. The team seems to enjoy playing with each other and getting results. I think the main move has to be Cavallini who hasn't lived up to expectations.  Can you imagine the Caps with a new quality attacking DP to add to their existing line-up?  Oh baby!

5 hours ago, Nerf said:

Isn't it nice that the Caps shouldn't be looking at wholesale changes at the end of a season. The team seems to enjoy playing with each other and getting results. I think the main move has to be Cavallini who hasn't lived up to expectations.  Can you imagine the Caps with a new quality attacking DP to add to their existing line-up?  Oh baby!

"Can you imagine..."

Or, even, no Cavallini, ever.