Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

59 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think it was a combination of a bunch of things (new manager, embarrassment from Thursday, quality of opposition) that lead to Sunday night. But having said that, even before he'd been fired I'd heard some criticism of MDS's defensive style (from knowledgeable sources, not message boards/twitter), that his zonal marking tactics in some instances were both outdated and not working. So, just moving away from that is probably going to be an improvement. 

Well, and Axel has now come out twice--at least--pointing to defensive lapses as one of the reasons MDS had to be removed.  Something to this. Good news: You can fix your defense. 

Let's see how they fare against better opposition. Might have to wait until after the match vs. Austin--we'd better pick up points there--but let's see. 

43 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Well, and Axel has now come out twice--at least--pointing to defensive lapses as one of the reasons MDS had to be removed.  Something to this. Good news: You can fix your defense. 

Let's see how they fare against better opposition. Might have to wait until after the match vs. Austin--we'd better pick up points there--but let's see. 

MDS stood by Rose despite having other options. Gaspar is suddenly magically healed and goes 90 the next game after his departure.  If you're going to go with certain players over what the TD would prefer, that's fine (a manager should have final say on his line up), but you damn well better get it right.

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

This could be a real banana peel match because Austin usually is stingy defensively yet last game they gave up five at home to Dallas (though they scored three).  I think they will come in here working to get back to their defensive ways and concentrate on being tough to break down.  Brown's not available on the back line, either, while Hasal gets his first start in awhile, so I think it will be much more of a test then some may believe.  Traditionally, this is the kind of opponent where the Caps have had letdowns against when they've had a strong outing the previous match and everyone starts climbing on the bandwagon again (Beav, how many times yourself in the past have you used the phrase "the club looks to have turned the corner" only for it to look like Thelma and Louise's car heading off cliff?:) )  I think the Caps still have the Gauld-en bounce still going for them and that might ease the worry here.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

This could be a real banana peel match because Austin usually is stingy defensively yet last game they gave up five at home to Dallas (though they scored three).  I think they will come in here working to get back to their defensive ways and concentrate on being tough to break down.  Brown's not available on the back line, either, while Hasal gets his first start in awhile, so I think it will be much more of a test then some may believe.  Traditionally, this is the kind of opponent where the Caps have had letdowns against when they've had a strong outing the previous match and everyone starts climbing on the bandwagon again (Beav, how many times yourself in the past have you used the phrase "the club looks to have turned the corner" only for it to look like Thelma and Louise's car heading off cliff?:) )  I think the Caps still have the Gauld-en bounce still going for them and that might ease the worry here.

Ha! Yes, while I am indeed an optimist, I am not so naive as to think this team is in anyways out of the woods. I remain hopeful.  I might need to find a partner to hold my hand as we head over the cliff, mind you. Any takers?

I think it was likely that for nearly a year Schuster has been waiting for the team to get back to Vancouver permanently so he could fire MDS.

He can come up with any story he wants. He went out in to the wilderness and had a vision blah blah. It doesn't matter anyways. He got fired, every coach does. What coach gets fired after being undefeated in 8? especially when your not a great team.

Edited by SpursFlu

MDS got sacked because he's not up to managing a football club at the MLS level. Nothing that Axel said during the media conference to announce the move was wrong. The results over that stretch of games leading up to the Victoria debacle, while welcome, were not sustainable based on the actual performances on the pitch. There were any number of reasons to fire MDS, all of them legitimate. It is likely that the club held off sacking him while the team were marooned in the USA because recruiting a new guy under those circumstances would be virtually impossible. Whether you consider that to be sensible pragmatism or dickish behaviour probably depends on your pre-existing feelings about the club's ownership. 

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Ha! Yes, while I am indeed an optimist, I am not so naive as to think this team is in anyways out of the woods. I remain hopeful.  I might need to find a partner to hold my hand as we head over the cliff, mind you. Any takers?

Cue that Glenn Frey song from said movie:  "You're a part of me, I'm a part of you.  Wherever we may travel, whatever we go through..."

(Not offering to go off a cliff with you:  just noting the song)

On 8/31/2021 at 1:57 PM, BearcatSA said:

Well, that first half was highly forgettable but with the addition of Gauld the team now has a bona fide attacking threat in Caicedo coming in as a supersub off the bench, and he pots the winner in the comeback.

That was a makeshift defense with Gaspar out of position on the left (and he played poorly) and Bikel on the right.   They were getting killed down the flanks in that first half.

I'm enjoying watching Gauld, not just because of his talent but because of his work rate.  He's always seems to be one of the first on the ball, trying to win it back.

Jungwirth is quite the quote machine, and he's been good on the field too.  I think he is what MDS thought Rose was.

Lost a very balanced match they should have tied, based on control, possession and chances. The team was fine, getting behind against the flow of play, and then not having the measure to work on the comeback without rushing. 

Was a bit worried about Metcalfe, a guy who misses basic controls, passes, a pro has to demand more of himself. Replaced by Brown who was far superior. Baldissimo was okay, and has some nice changes of direction, but tends to be low risk and does not cover a lot of turf. Tiebert on the side of the middle, again, just competent: none of these Canadians look to be anywhere near key pieces on the squad. None is anywhere near the national team either.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:00 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Lost a very balanced match they should have tied, based on control, possession and chances. The team was fine, getting behind against the flow of play, and then not having the measure to work on the comeback without rushing. 

Was a bit worried about Metcalfe, a guy who misses basic controls, passes, a pro has to demand more of himself. Replaced by Brown who was far superior. Baldissimo was okay, and has some nice changes of direction, but tends to be low risk and does not cover a lot of turf. Tiebert on the side of the middle, again, just competent: none of these Canadians look to be anywhere near key pieces on the squad. None is anywhere near the national team either.

Rusty can't beat anybody off the dribble, so hence the square balls and back passes.  Metcalfe struggled with his judgment and touch in controlling long diagonal passes but he also didn't impress with his lack of physical presence vs Aspirilla as well as defensive positioning.  Baldi's big strength is the ability knock longer diagonal balls off either foot (unfortunately, the Christmas tree formation used earlier seemed to take away that upfield wide target for his passing).  I have seen that he has to pass himself out of trouble deep whereas the higher echelon of holding mids can confidently turn/dribble out of 1 v 1 pressure and then attack the space they've created for themselves.  His defensive positioning is up and down.  At this point, he's better in a three man central mid grouping.  He doesn't have enough tools in the tool kit at the moment.

15 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Rusty can't beat anybody off the dribble, so hence the square balls and back passes.  Metcalfe struggled with his judgment and touch in controlling long diagonal passes but he also didn't impress with his lack of physical presence vs Aspirilla as well as defensive positioning.  Baldi's big strength is the ability knock longer diagonal balls off either foot (unfortunately, the Christmas tree formation used earlier seemed to take away that upfield wide target for his passing).  I have seen that he has to pass himself out of trouble deep whereas the higher echelon of holding mids can confidently turn/dribble out of 1 v 1 pressure and then attack the space they've created for themselves.  His defensive positioning is up and down.  At this point, he's better in a three man central mid grouping.  He doesn't have enough tools in the tool kit at the moment.

Agreed--basically we are saying that the Canadians at Caps are not amongst the key players, excepting Crepeau. And hopefully Cavallini when back and on form. That is a bit thin as I see it for an MLS team making arguments for its Canadian identity. 

Sobering thought: if Brian White were Canadian, Herdman just might call him up. His strike rate and Cava's are about the same. But for me, neither is good enough as we stand.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed--basically we are saying that the Canadians at Caps are not amongst the key players, excepting Crepeau. And hopefully Cavallini when back and on form. That is a bit thin as I see it for an MLS team making arguments for its Canadian identity. 

Sobering thought: if Brian White were Canadian, Herdman just might call him up. His strike rate and Cava's are about the same. But for me, neither is good enough as we stand.

Re Cavallini. I don't think Cavallini has shown any form at all since he arrived. I struggle to recall a stretch of play where he has shown the potential to be worth even half the money they spent on him.  There just hasn't been much good play at all. I think what we have seen with him is what we are going to get. As you state, not good enough.  

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Gutierrez established himself as the left back, and just needs to get healthy now. They were sorely lacking his dead ball crosses on the corner kicks vs Portland, which were dreadful. Also, they're sticking with Baldisimo even with him having a bit of a down year vs last year, and that's always one of the big complaints about the Caps - that they don't give their younger Canadian players playing time. Baldisimo can't have any complaints about that.

25 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Gutierrez established himself as the left back, and just needs to get healthy now. They were sorely lacking his dead ball crosses on the corner kicks vs Portland, which were dreadful. Also, they're sticking with Baldisimo even with him having a bit of a down year vs last year, and that's always one of the big complaints about the Caps - that they don't give their younger Canadian players playing time. Baldisimo can't have any complaints about that.

I think Baldi is getting a good shot, even Metcalfe.  I'd rather have the BC raised Academy grads get a decent look than signing up journeymen Cancon from elsewhere.  Speaking of whom:  is Godinho going to get a real look or was he just emergency stopgap for the remainder of the season?

• 2 weeks later...

Two things revealed in the Caps’ reaction to Max’s save: a) they are bonded as a team and invested in winning; b) they aren’t fully used to the focus of winning teams because Max has to remind them all that the game isn’t over, lol. 

Was great to see the save and the reaction, tbh, even though I was an armchair Max, ie wtf are you doing…? the play’s not dead!

On 9/11/2021 at 1:00 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was a bit worried about Metcalfe, a guy who misses basic controls, passes, a pro has to demand more of himself. 

I noticed that in the pre-game warm up that Metcalfe was assigned to shag Crepeau's punts and during the half time sub run about he was also involved with a lot of longer passes.  Under no pressure, I didn't think he was particularly outstanding with his first touch on those plays.  Some of the other guys like Baldi showed much more "velcro" with their control in similar situations.