Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Sartini has played with fewer defenders (through injuries and NT call ups) than MDS ever did, and yet they've still been better defensively.  If MDS was still here, they'd score once and then park the bus to defend (poorly).  I'm not convinced that Sartini is the solution long-term, but MDS wasn't the solution either.

My points came from the perspective of the previous coach and his hubris, so I'm not arguing against any of your points.

Schuster wanted a consistent tactical set up and identity and he's now getting one.  He wasn't getting that from MDS.

Hubert Busby, another former Caps coach is alleged doing sexual advances toward a player he was attempting to recruit. He's now coach of Jamaica's women after working at Western New York Flash before a six-year stint with the Seattle Sounders women’s team where he was both coach and general manager.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/28/abuse-allegations-vancouver-whitecaps-womens-team-hubert-busby-jr-soccer

Edited by red card

The Whitecaps say they will be addressing the Hubert Busby allegations sometime this morning. No confirmation yet on if they’ll be answering questions or just issuing a statement. They really have to get ahead of this and do the right thing, whatever that may be. 

4 hours ago, Cblake said:

The Whitecaps say they will be addressing the Hubert Busby allegations sometime this morning. No confirmation yet on if they’ll be answering questions or just issuing a statement. They really have to get ahead of this and do the right thing, whatever that may be. 

They were first notified by a journalist 10 days ago ... they did not respond to a single journalist inquiry since. They had all this time to get ahead of it and yet...

We are seeing what to much of these type of incidents of late, we as a society have to do better. With the NWSL, the Chicago Blackhawks, no one should ever have to be exposed to this type of behaviour. I really do hope people will feel comfortable speaking out moving forward if they have been wronged, but it is not for me to tell anyone what is the right way or wrong way to face such a thing, we all as people react to things differently. Regardless the victims deserve better. 

Just now, Watchmen said:

MLS has now taken over investigation of the Whitecaps:

Whitecaps executives involved placed on leave.  No names at this point:

I think it is stating the obvious in a situation like this, you can not be investigating yourselves. 

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

You would think, except that's what they did 2 years ago.

And obviously they failed greatly with that. The world we live in and awareness to these situations I hope has improved somewhat, but we still have a long way to go. 

23 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I think it is stating the obvious in a situation like this, you can not be investigating yourselves. 

I would agree with this but its amazing to me how prevalent this has been in the sporting world (and indeed, the corporate world) forever.  Serious criminal allegations should always be investigated by a third party (and just to be clear, that is not the league!).

6 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I would agree with this but its amazing to me how prevalent this has been in the sporting world (and indeed, the corporate world) forever.  Serious criminal allegations should always be investigated by a third party (and just to be clear, that is not the league!).

The unfortunate thing ism especially with incidents that happened a number of years ago, unless it leads to a criminal investigation and charges are eventually laid who is it left up to, to determine what happened , the league , team which is far from ideal in many ways. It can leave a lot of questions. 

Am not ignoring recent news, but back to the Caps on the field: got a big boost with Earthquakes beating RSL yesterday.

The playoff race is incredibly tight with 2 matches left, but I think the Caps may have enough with a draw vs. LAFC next match, the way things are looking. A win puts them in the playoffs, as there are enough direct match-ups with the other conference games to ensure they can do it.

Don't want to have to resolve at home vs. Sounders, who always seem to have our number, but maybe that is not so bad--the one team we can't beat and that handles us easily, and our closest rival: time to make a statement against them as well.

Funny thing is that Caps are actually in a position to get a home advantage in the playoffs.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 10/31/2021 at 3:43 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Am not ignoring recent news, but back to the Caps on the field: got a big boost with Earthquakes beating RSL yesterday.

The playoff race is incredibly tight with 2 matches left, but I think the Caps must may have enough with a draw vs. LAFC next match, the way things are looking. A win puts them in the playoffs, as there are enough direct match-ups with the other conference games to ensure they can do it.

Don't want to have to resolve at home vs. Sounders, who always seem to have our number, but maybe that is not so bad--the one team we can't beat and that handles us easily, and our closest rival: time to make a statement against them as well.

Funny thing is that Caps are actually in a position to get a home advantage in the playoffs.

Their fate is in their hands. It won't be easy. Unfortunate that Minnesota upset KC yesterday.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So with the draw, it all comes down to the last day.

We can complain about lost points over the year, but it's still a nice scenario. 

Depending what others do, we may not even have to win, but since the games are played at the same time, I am sure they'll fight for a result.

Tomorrow's Portland-SLC result will have a huge bearing on how things play out on the weekend. Portland wins, and it takes the home playoff game off the table, but guarantees qualification with a draw.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:16 PM, Cblake said:

We are seeing what to much of these type of incidents of late, we as a society have to do better. With the NWSL, the Chicago Blackhawks, no one should ever have to be exposed to this type of behaviour. I really do hope people will feel comfortable speaking out moving forward if they have been wronged, but it is not for me to tell anyone what is the right way or wrong way to face such a thing, we all as people react to things differently. Regardless the victims deserve better. 

Expected this to come from ownership and not ceo.