Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

41 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

With Cavallini's international absences and injury, it would be a challenge to build chemistry. 

Agreed. Though I think we're now starting to move in the realm of he'll never get the chance to.  He hasn't been what the FO thought he was (and to be clear, he was never what the FO thought he was), and I could see both parties looking to move on in the off season.

I thought the high press was revolutionary.. why didn't MDS think of this!

Seems like MDS just rubbed wrong.. maybe the same would have happened with him still in charge. Seems doubtful though, more that a different personality at the top with similar tactics working. 

I know things seem to be going well under Sartini but I really hope they hire someone better in the off season. It will be the very tempting cheap hire that keeps players happy if the like him but it would be the least ambitious and caretaker hires rarely work out well longterm.  Keep him at the club absolutely but get someone with a successful, proven record of improving players and cultivating youth. 

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Seems like MDS just rubbed wrong.. maybe the same would have happened with him still in charge. Seems doubtful though, more that a different personality at the top with similar tactics working. 

The team worked very hard for MDS, too.  Apart from the Pacific game, the work rate has been the hallmark of the side.  He didn't lose the dressing room.  I think he lost in the power dynamic with Axel.

Edited by BearcatSA

Hey Whitecaps fans!!  Dont take it personal but I just had to drop in and take a dump on you to make things more fair and even handed.  Ok here goes....F#CK why dont you play more young CDNs???  I know you have 3 regular CDN starters when they are healthy, but why doesnt Baldy get more minutes?? What??  He's going to get twice as many as last year??  Hmmm, what about Rapaso and Metcalfe?? Wow..they are getting a lot of games as well.  How about Hasal...mmm 7 starts, that pretty good for a young back up keeper.  Ahhhhhh...HABIBULLAH!!! What are you doing with him...oh yeah he is still only 17. Well why dont you loan out more guys?? Like Cornelius, Fachinerri, Boehmer, Pecile, Coyln, Bair etc etc??  Ohhh..you are??? Hmm I must have missed that.  

All I know that if you had more americans like TFC you might actually be in the playoff hunt.  Maybe you could even give a CDN coach a try..geez you guys, show you love canada!!   So dissapointed in Vancouver.................and too bad about the tough loss tonight.  But you know Seattle is top of the west div... 

Unfortunately we face hard rivals, and, rightly so, conference rivals. We've come this far but have to take the next step, and not stall. 

I usually hate the whole playoff BS, but do recognize that if we make the playoffs, we will likely do so with an even record, and perhaps an even goals for/against. So that is a good result for a season that started badly and playing away for months. 

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

What a comeback tonight. 2-0 down, 3-2 final in Portland. And it happened right after Cavallini came off.

When White scored, he seemed somewhat disconnected on the bench taking off his shoes while the rest of his team was jumping up and down in celebration

19 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

When White scored, he seemed somewhat disconnected on the bench taking off his shoes while the rest of his team was jumping up and down in celebration

Not a good look , it’s a team sport and this is how you react after your team fighting for a playoff spot makes an incredible comeback away from home at one of your rivals and you react like this ? The Canadian national team does not need this bad attitude with the national team , keep him home in November unless he smartens up !

Edited by SoccMan

27 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Not a good look , it’s a team sport and this is how you react after your team fighting for a playoff spot makes an incredible comeback away from home at one of your rivals and you react like this ? The Canadian national team does not need this bad attitude with the national team , keep him home in November unless he smartens up !

He was sat on the bench just after having been subbed. His head was down while he was taking off his shins and shoes. I don't think it's a big deal that he didn't immediately go tearing down the touch line in this case. Your reaction, on the other hand, is pretty over the top.

It's this kind of season, with 2 losses in 20 games, that makes me want to stuff our national team full of unproven scrub getting garbage minutes at one of the worst pro teams in MLS. 

Me being TFC faithful, for argument's sake. 

Has to be said because if thing were reversed they'd be calling for the removal of players from the NT roster. 

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I think he would be more infuriated by not having a run of real home games with Gauld.

Sartini has played with fewer defenders (through injuries and NT call ups) than MDS ever did, and yet they've still been better defensively.  If MDS was still here, they'd score once and then park the bus to defend (poorly).  I'm not convinced that Sartini is the solution long-term, but MDS wasn't the solution either.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's this kind of season, with 2 losses in 20 games, that makes me want to stuff our national team full of unproven scrub getting garbage minutes at one of the worst pro teams in MLS. 

Me being TFC faithful, for argument's sake. 

I like to dump on TFC supporters as much as anyone, but are there many that are actually seriously arguing that anyone other than Osorio and Laryea deserve a call up? I guess Shaffelburg?

7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I like to dump on TFC supporters as much as anyone, but are there many that are actually seriously arguing that anyone other than Osorio and Laryea deserve a call up? I guess Shaffelburg?

The "for argument's sake" is all you need to know.