Juvy Kooner

Aird25

43 minutes ago, nolando said:

Looks like he has played ten matches so far for his new club (CF Oliveira Douro), all 90 minute-performances.

4th tier Portugal but great he is getting that game time and experience. I imagine that's a similar level to the CPL? At 22 he is young for a CB and room to grow.

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

Tbh, I would think that is not even professional and below CPL. 

Who was the Canadian player who mainly spent most of his career in I think Portugal’s 2nd and 3rd divisions and was there for awhile ? Actually don’t think this player ever played in Portugal’s top league .

14 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Who was the Canadian player who mainly spent most of his career in I think Portugal’s 2nd and 3rd divisions and was there for awhile ? Actually don’t think this player ever played in Portugal’s top league .

Pedro Pacheco?

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He most definitely played top flight with Santa Clara. But maybe it was just one or two seasons. And for that other team from the islands, Nacional.

Yeah that's right. I think he played a single season with Nacional in the top flight. 

I get there's the aspect that playing in Europe is great and better than at home.....but for me, I think if the money is potentially the same, wouldn't it make sense to play in the CPL vs 5th tier Portugual or anywhere? 

The reward outweighs the risk if you're good. So many guys have moved to better situations than 4th or 5th tier leagues.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I get there's the aspect that playing in Europe is great and better than at home.....but for me, I think if the money is potentially the same, wouldn't it make sense to play in the CPL vs 5th tier Portugual or anywhere? 

The reward outweighs the risk if you're good. So many guys have moved to better situations than 4th or 5th tier leagues.

No. I think if the money is the same (factoring in cost of living as well), you're better off to already be in Europe. That more teams will have a better understanding of the level you're at, even if it's 4th tier.

We've also seen guys move over to Europe only to return to the CPL. Which isn't uncommon, it just reinforces that if you've got a foothold in Europe I think you're better off keeping it.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Perhaps, but I doubt he was ever given that choice. There aren't enough teams in CPL to support all the Canadian kids coming up. 

He was offered to go to Braga youth. You don't turn that down. Then he did not get a lot of playing time, but he still must have felt it was better than what he'd get in Vancouver. Which is probably true. 

You have guys around you making moves up, they are role models, so why not stick it out?

It becomes an issue at a certain age, if you cannot sustain yourself economically to try to work your way up. Only then it makes more sense to return to find the support of your family, as he's from the Fraser Valley I think, he'd be a natural fit on a VFC roster, as long as he can demonstrate the level. Problem, as I see it, is that Vancouver needs major upgrades precisely at CB, and I am not sure he's the profile.

• 1 month later...

Saw what Nolan said, he's still playing for his team, regularly, they are lower bottom table in their division, and he scored a goal in the Cup preliminaries in September. Solid from him but nothing special. He just turned 22.

https://www.ceroacero.es/jugador/juvy-kooner/870445?epoca_id=0

Didn't dress this weekend, but I saw on the roster list they have another Canadian, Micah Joseph, who played for Toronto Skilzz and Dutch Connections, 20 year old mid, has 4 appearances. Last week they both started

https://www.ceroacero.es/jogo.php?id=9481737

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Is this the regionalized fourth tier? This has to be close to senior Canadian level soccer, albeit with more scouting and therefore more change of movement?

I believe Portugal recently put in a national third tier - wonder if that makes it easier or harder to recover from relegations and bankruptcies. Not a bad amount of former first tier teams in that third tier now that you look at it.

54 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Is this the regionalized fourth tier? This has to be close to senior Canadian level soccer, albeit with more scouting and therefore more change of movement?

I believe Portugal recently put in a national third tier - wonder if that makes it easier or harder to recover from relegations and bankruptcies. Not a bad amount of former first tier teams in that third tier now that you look at it.

The regionalised fourth tier, four divisions set apart by region, 14 teams per division, you are right. Four teams promote from that into Liga 3.

I did not know they redid the third tier, but just looked, and here is what I see: 

They have 20 teams in Liga 3, divided into two groups of 10.  As you say there are some strong teams there, like Varzim or Académica Coimbra.

They play home and away in each, 18 games, and the top 4 in each go to the championship or promotion round. Which starts from zero, and just started. Of this league of 8 teams, after 14 matches, the top three promote into Liga 2.

The the other 12 teams who were below in each of their groups are divided into groups of 6, and play a 10 game league to avoid promotion. Also starting from zero, no accumulated previous points. The bottom two of each group relegate.

I think by strengthening the third tier, they have likely enabled the professionalisation of those 20 teams, raising the overall level besides. This seems to be a tendency in Europe, to approximate 3rd and 4th tiers to professional football, moving more players in lower tiers out of amateurism. Portugal is not so large as to not be able to create stronger lower tiers, with the exception of the islands, where likely the federation subsidizes their presence.