Juvy Kooner

Aird25

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Who?

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/eliteteams/residency/juvraj-kooner

Surrey United/ Caps/Lank FC product, turns 19 next week. Has been involved in a few national team youth camps under both Jazic and Gale. Looks to be projecting to be a LB/CB.

The link below heavily promotes Lank FC/Academy, which Google searches lead me to believe is a business operation originally out of Trinidad, who helped bring and settle him to Portugal for the past year or so. Lank bought 90% of a fourth tier Portuguese club, Vilaverdense to presumably drive forward their plans to market and sell young players to European clubs: http//www.lankfootballnews.com/lank-fc-acquires-90-of-vilaverdense-sad--groupo-lank-fc-detem-90-da-sad-do-vilaverdense

The video mentioned he had an ACL injury last year and Braga must think highly of him to have signed him after recovering from something of that magnitude this young.

The contract-signing video: 

Congrats and good luck to the kid. We could use some more breakthrough players coming out of BC.

Edited by nolando

11 hours ago, nolando said:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/eliteteams/residency/juvraj-kooner

Surrey United/ Caps/Lank FC product, turns 19 next week. Has been involved in a few national team youth camps under both Jazic and Gale. Looks to be projecting to be a LB/CB.

The link below heavily promotes Lank FC/Academy, which Google searches lead me to believe is a business operation originally out of Trinidad, who helped bring and settle him to Portugal for the past year or so. Lank bought 90% of a fourth tier Portuguese club, Vilaverdense to presumably drive forward their plans to market and sell young players to European clubs: http//www.lankfootballnews.com/lank-fc-acquires-90-of-vilaverdense-sad--groupo-lank-fc-detem-90-da-sad-do-vilaverdense

The video mentioned he had an ACL injury last year and Braga must think highly of him to have signed him after recovering from something of that magnitude this young.

The contract-signing video: 

Congrats and good luck to the kid. We could use some more breakthrough players coming out of BC.

Thanks not bad .

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Apparently he was kicked out of the VWFC academy with another player over a hazing incident. With that haircut i'm not surprised.

Hopefully he's learned from this.

We're going into 2021....What kind of stereo typical bullshit is that? Leave the apparently's, and bring the facts/sources. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

We're going into 2021....What kind of stereo typical bullshit is that? Leave the apparently's, and bring the facts/sources. 

As for the joke, it's a dig at the fact where I live in Ontario all the teens that have this haircut are the ones who are dumbasses who bother everyone.

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

I repeat guys will always continue to "slip through" the cracks of the system that is MLS. How he wasn't even looked at by Pacific or any other team in the CPL may insist we have a problem with scouting. 

1. He hasn't done anything yet.

2. People slip through the cracks all the time. It's just reality.

I will say though, Vancouver punishes hazing (rightfully so) but sexual assault? Naw that's okay.

Edited by Colliedor

9 minutes ago, VinceA said:

As for the joke, it's a dig at the fact where I live in Ontario all the teens that have this haircut are the ones who are dumbasses who bother everyone.

It's only a joke...till it gets called out, then it's a joke.

I live in the GTA, owned a restaurant right by a highschool so I'm aware of the styles of the kids. I've seen the "bad ones" and the "good ones", and they all look different but with the same styles. It's called social trends.  I hope you don't have a kid, and they are judged by their haircut...cause I sure hope my son doesn't. 

Edited by Shway

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

I repeat guys will always continue to "slip through" the cracks of the system that is MLS. How he wasn't even looked at by Pacific or any other team in the CPL may insist we have a problem with scouting. 

I get the sentiment but how is this slipping through the cracks? He was with Whitecaps organization, left it (or got kicked out), then signed with an academy in europe, then impressed enough to be signed by a big club at 18.   The Lank guy even said they saw him in a tournie in canada when he was 15, presumably with the whitecaps eh??  Isnt this more of a case that their always were and still are more than one way to the top?  Not every kid that gets to an MLS academy at 14 stays until they get a MLS contract.  David knew early that he didnt want to get caught up in MLS systems.  

As for the haircut debate, I resent the negative comments...I proudly had a bowl cut and never got into much trouble..HEHEHE.  When i switched to a mullet in my 20's is when the trouble really started.  

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Apparently he was kicked out of the VWFC academy with another player over a hazing incident. With that haircut i'm not surprised.

Hopefully he's learned from this.

Was one of two released from the hazing incident. He's a CDM but played CB as well.  I'm sure he's matured from the incident and regrets whatever happened as he lost great opportunities (U17 WC).   

The other player in the incident incase anyone's wondering was being looked at in Europe which caps were aware of.  An EPL club went as far as to try and help him obtain a passport from England through his family which was unsuccessful.  Was actually in the U17 WC pool as a Stand-By player and recently on trial in Germany back in November before the federation shut down for covid... 18 now so maybe he lands somewhere as well.  Turned away from cpl last season as he was "unfamiliar" to the scouting staff.

Not sure why reports of hazing in elite youth sports (that may involve sexual assault) so often brings a reaction from some that is similar to “most 16 yr olds are pretty stupid”.  Too big of an issue to get into in this thread but I think it should be called out -it’s the only way this toxic culture can be changed. “Normal” 16 year olds don’t do stuff like this guy has been accused (and released from a pro club) of doing. 

I don't know the validity of what I'm about to say as it is nothing more than hearsay but based on some of the stuff I have heard that happens in junior hockey and OHL locker rooms, I am not surprised when these things come up. I remember something that occurred in our high school gym change room that still f***s with my mind to this day. Youth sports team bullying isn't far removed from high school bullying considering everyone involved falls into the same age bracket, you're dealing with the same type of kids in all honesty.

The stuff I have heard, ranges from some of the more minor things, and I say minor very loosely, like patting or cupping the groin area to unsettle the victim to more extreme things like using the but end of a hockey stick to commit sodomy.   

What was the giist of what he did?  I ask because I came very close to getting in real trouble over a prank with play doo in University and a prof who had no sense of humor.  And that was in the 80's looooong before any of the current standards of conduct were applicable.  

4 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I don't know the validity of what I'm about to say as it is nothing more than hearsay but based on some of the stuff I have heard that happens in junior hockey and OHL locker rooms, I am not surprised when these things come up. I remember something that occurred in our high school gym change room that still f***s with my mind to this day. Youth sports team bullying isn't far removed from high school bullying considering everyone involved falls into the same age bracket, you're dealing with the same type of kids in all honesty.

The stuff I have heard, ranges from some of the more minor things, and I say minor very loosely, like patting or cupping the groin area to unsettle the victim to more extreme things like using the but end of a hockey stick to commit sodomy.   

I remember hearing stories in grade 9 about what happened on sports teams (mainly football, a little bit of basketball), and honestly I was a little scared to tryout for the soccer team (nothing weird happened in the end). Now, some of the stories were surely exaggerated or completely fabricated (which is still fucked up in its own way), but no story I hear in the news surprises me.

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What was the giist of what he did?  I ask because I came very close to getting in real trouble over a prank with play doo in University and a prof who had no sense of humor.  And that was in the 80's looooong before any of the current standards of conduct were applicable.  

It's probably not public information.

13 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I remember hearing stories in grade 9 about what happened on sports teams (mainly football, a little bit of basketball), and honestly I was a little scared to tryout for the soccer team (nothing weird happened in the end). Now, some of the stories were surely exaggerated or completely fabricated (which is still fucked up in its own way), but no story I hear in the news surprises me.

I was in grade nine when I made the varsity soccer team, playing with mostly seniors and it was intimidating but I learned enough street smarts at fifteen to not make myself an obvious target thankfully. 

26 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Not sure why reports of hazing in elite youth sports (that may involve sexual assault) so often brings a reaction from some that is similar to “most 16 yr olds are pretty stupid”.  Too big of an issue to get into in this thread but I think it should be called out -it’s the only way this toxic culture can be changed. “Normal” 16 year olds don’t do stuff like this guy has been accused (and released from a pro club) of doing. 

Who said it shouldn’t be an issue ? He was punished and is now moving on. Do you want to hold it against him his entire life? And yes - young people are held to a lower standard than adults. Our criminal justice system does so and the reasons for that are clear.