Theo Corbeanu

jordan

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just think, he's just behind Pellistri in the pecking order, who is quite good, on the Uruguay national team, on loan from Manchester United. Then steps in and does more as sub than the starter.

BTW it's the best league in the world but I appreciate everyone has their biases. Happy to argue the case. That said, some are saying that Granada is in fact the worst team in the league, worse than Almeria who has not won, because if you look at stats and data, Almeria are the best --and unluckiest-- worst team in the world right now. 

https://x.com/sidlowe/status/1761511778469507259?s=20

Reel It In Jay Buhner GIF by Northwest Motorsport

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The fact that this irritates people here and you won't have the conversation suggests some serious sectarian brainwashing going on. Just have the conversation, I'm fine with it. But you won't, you've been proselytized.

My buddy described La Liga as a farmer's league. He watches only EPL. But don't worry, I defended La Liga on your behalf.

:D

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The fact that this irritates people here and you won't have the conversation suggests some serious sectarian brainwashing going on. Just have the conversation, I'm fine with it. But you won't, you've been proselytized.

I'm not interested in the conversation because I decided long ago that the best league in the world conversation can just be replaced with the UEFA association rankings.

image.png.e52b69da3e478d1818322dd016689a01.png

There were definitely a lot of people claiming EPL was number 1 back when La Liga had the best UEFA coefficient, but right now EPL has backed up the hype with results. I'm glad you drew my attention back to the latest numbers though, because I didn't realize Italy was ahead of Germany these days. Netherlands is not far behind France as well.

1 hour ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

This article (in Spanish with ads) just rips every Granada player after the 5-1 loss, except Corbeanu. Says his goal and desire were the only good thing to come out of the match:

Wonder if he gets rewarded with a start? They have 2 more games before the international break. How can anyone justify a Hoilett call up over him?

2 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Wonder if he gets rewarded with a start? They have 2 more games before the international break. How can anyone justify a Hoilett call up over him?

If he can get a start or two I think it’s hard to not call him. If he doesn’t, then it’s easy to say he doesn’t have the minutes. 

52 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm not interested in the conversation because I decided long ago that the best league in the world conversation can just be replaced with the UEFA association rankings.

There were definitely a lot of people claiming EPL was number 1 back when La Liga had the best UEFA coefficient, but right now EPL has backed up the hype with results. I'm glad you drew my attention back to the latest numbers though, because I didn't realize Italy was ahead of Germany these days. Netherlands is not far behind France as well.

Not to mention Serie A's coefficient score has been above La Liga for the past two years.

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Not to mention Serie A's coefficient score has been above La Liga for the past two years.

Yes, although that is a live table, so the last year in that table is a work in progress still.

I am curious what that last game will do to Theo’s minutes.  This is a team definitely getting relegated whose normal starters were seemingly abysmal last game.  Then the kid comes on, shows some passion and manages to grab a beauty of a goal.  If I am a coach both recognizing reality and thinking about next season, maybe I have the kid a start or two to see if he can step it up.  What’s the harm? 

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If he can get a start or two I think it’s hard to not call him. If he doesn’t, then it’s easy to say he doesn’t have the minutes. 

He started regularly for Grasshopper and has played in two of four possible games so far for Granada -- albeit as a sub. I think he will get more minutes between now and the T&T game, but I'm not sure it's that important tbh.

Buchanan by comparison has 27 total minutes for Inter out of a possible 11 matches since joining in January. 

4 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

This article (in Spanish with ads) just rips every Granada player after the 5-1 loss, except Corbeanu. Says his goal and desire were the only good thing to come out of the match:

What irked me is that he scores and wants to celebrate a bit, but no player on the team went to celebrate. Like it had to be a funeral or something. The whole point at 5-0 is to try to build for the next match and have team integrity and cohesion for a spell.

I appreciate if you are effusive it's dumb in a blowout, but it suggests poor team spirit and a lack of support from teammates. And worse considering he's the youngest guy out there. 

I think if he's there next year in 2 nd it'll be okay for him, they are a likely promotion candidate.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

2 of the four EPL teams were last in their Champions groups, four Spanish teams won theirs. If EPL is better that doesn't happen. 

If you look at finals over this century the numbers head to head are overwhelming. Europa League is owned by Spanish teams. So the BS argument that Spain is just the top two is just that. 

Regardless, Spain has far more Ballon dOr and the Best winners, which isn't counted in UEFA coefficients. 

The only real story on the coefficient is not EPL superiority, it is that Barça is in an unusual crisis, which could last, and missed the knockout stage in Champions two years straight. Barcelona is also likely to miss the World Club Cup in 2025 because of shitty recent results in Europe.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What irked me is that he scores and wants to celebrate a bit, but no player on the team went to celebrate. Like it had to be a funeral or something. The whole point at 5-0 is to try to build for the next match and have team integrity and cohesion for a spell.

I thought this was very strange as well. I mean, at least go over and quickly congratulate the guy. He literally did nothing to contribute to the loss, having come on when it was already 4-0. 

The Spanish league is so good that Barcelona and Real Madrid are still trying to create the super league.🤔

Some “rivals” there and it always irks me how people try to twist Barcelona as some sanctimonious club when they’re one of the worst teams for football. Lest we forget their president’s comment on Phonzie too. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

2 of the four EPL teams were last in their Champions groups, four Spanish teams won theirs.

I know.

If you look at finals over this century the numbers head to head are overwhelming. Europa League is owned by Spanish teams.

I know.

Regardless, Spain has far more Ballon dOr and the Best winners, which isn't counted in UEFA coefficients.

I know.

And yet, here we are. England well ahead of Spain in the UEFA coefficients based on results of the last 5 years of European competition.

As for this...

The only real story on the coefficient is not EPL superiority, it is that Barça is in an unusual crisis, which could last, and missed the knockout stage in Champions two years straight. Barcelona is also likely to miss the World Club Cup in 2025 because of shitty recent results in Europe.

You could say England has been dealing with a similar issue with Manchester United since Ferguson retired 11 years ago. So they each have a big club not doing as well as we came to expect previously.

57 minutes ago, Kent said:

I know.

I know.

I know.

And yet, here we are. England well ahead of Spain in the UEFA coefficients based on results of the last 5 years of European competition.

As for this...

You could say England has been dealing with a similar issue with Manchester United since Ferguson retired 11 years ago. So they each have a big club not doing as well as we came to expect previously.

It's not just a question of coefficients, which is valid.

It is also a question of where the best players are and where the greatest players thrive. And where you will see the best football. That Spain is in a hiatus after Messi and Ronaldo going, no question, but the whole argument that Haaland is generational like they were is obviously false.

I have no doubt there are great players are in all the top leagues, and you will see great senior and young talent everywhere. I haven't watched Leverkusen, but folks say they are a pleasure. If you argued that Lautaro was one of the best strikers nowadays in the world, I'd agree, Inter is spectacular.

In my day I was fairly convinced that some of the greatest were in Italy, Nedved, Maldini, Nesta. But the best historical EPL stars can't rival the best in La Liga. 

But even now, in the post-Messi/Ronaldo era, I think no one in England is at the level of Bellingham at Real Madrid. Salah is close. Haaland scores goals but is not anything special to watch. And no young player in the world, no teen, is as enjoyable to watch as Lamine Yamal. The talent is in Spain, and if it leaves, it emerges anew. Which is why overwhelmingly, even before the Ronaldo/Messi domination, the Ballon d'Or winners and greatest players have been in Spain, over three decades of domination, with Romario, the first Ronaldo Nazario de Lima, Figo, Eto'o, Rivaldo, Zidane, even those six, ignoring so many others also winning best player in the world, were more spectacular to watch than any player who has played in England in the last 30 years. And they were not better playing in the 2nd best league in the world (even Cannavaro, probably undeservedly, won while in Spain).

Of course it is not my fault that myopia means EPL fans have only watched locally, which is not the case with the world of football, which is why all those I mention won best player in the world, people were paying attention elsewhere if not in the UK.

Though maybe EPL is not so myopic in everything, because all they seem to do lately is hire Spanish coaches, effectively acknowledging where the talent in comprehending and managing the game comes from. I would not be surprised to see even more next year.

I'm a Liverpool fan and frankly, and because I've seen him live, Salah is up there no question The best player on an English team I have ever seen, and I've seen all the top English clubs live. Scholes was great. Bergkamp was worth watching, I specifically went out of my way once to watch Shearer in a pre-season friendly. I am not mentioning so many who were good in EPL but not at all in Spain (Hazard), were just good but nothing amazing in Spain (Beckham) or who finally won big for their clubs or individually when they moved to Spain (Owen, Henry).

I think even if you had to go position by position, the only place where I'd give EPL an edge is with Schmeichel, even if Casillas won the World Cup and Eurocups. If you want to say no defensive mid in La Liga was as good as Viera, that could be close. You can't put any of Gerrard, Scholes or Lampard anywhere near Xavi and Iniesta (never mind Zidane also being a mid). Figo gets a good challenge from Giggs but was better. 

I am fine insisting, but I am not the freak. The world extends beyond the tip of our noses. I grew up in Canada only knowing English and Scottish football, then Germany when that Soccer Made in Germany was on PBS, which we got from Seattle in Vancouver. But since there are so many sectarian EPL fans on this board, and no one else who is really a Liga fan, I am alone making the argument. But I am not alone in the world, and am not a minority, because the world's national team coaches and captains continue to vote for the best players playing the best football. And hardly ever look to EPL.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am fine insisting, but I am not the freak. The world extends beyond the tip of our noses. I grew up in Canada only knowing English and Scottish football, then Germany when that Soccer Made in Germany was on PBS, which we got from Seattle in Vancouver.

I am curious, was that OTA (over the air) with an antenna or via cable.  If OTA what other American channels did you get?