CPL bilingualism

Kent

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said, but lets get the conversation into a more appropriate thread.

I am not bilingual, but I have a question for those out there who are. If the league had everything translated, and had French original content (translated into English) and had English, French, and Bilingual options, where the Bilingual option would give you the article in whatever language it was originally written, would anybody prefer that? Or would you just select your preferred language and stick with that? I'm just curious.

Of course use this thread to talk about all the other points that were brought up in the new teams thread. It doesn't have to be about my question.

I'm not much help in your question but for me there shouldn't be any articles in one or the other language. Everything that comes out should he readily available and accessible for everyone in both languages or not at all. 

If it's not happening that way we need to get on the CPL to fix it.  

Edited by toontownman
Iffy grammar.

If there wouyld be a bilingual option with articles in t original languages, I would prefer that. I'm bilingual but I read the articles in English even if they are translated because I prefer reading in the original language. But I read really faster in French because I'm from Montréal and I went to French school

34 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Simply stick with the select your preferred language and stick with that I'd say.

It's cool to see articles all in French, but for some markets like Moncton, Ottawa or Sudbury (even West-Island Montréal), seeing an article with a half-French, half-English flavour would be super relevant. Agreed to your point though for simplicity. 

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I am not bilingual, but I have a question for those out there who are. If the league had everything translated, and had French original content (translated into English) and had English, French, and Bilingual options, where the Bilingual option would give you the article in whatever language it was originally written, would anybody prefer that? Or would you just select your preferred language and stick with that? I'm just curious.

Thank you for starting this thread. It means a lot to many fans that haven't historically voiced their thoughts on this forum. To answer your question, most bilingual websites today use the browser optimization you've selected to determine your website. Most of the banks do this. 

If your website is created using Wix or Wordpress, there are plugins that can be purchased that auto-translate the content. Most are absolute garbage, but some are improving quickly.

Alternatively, we could go back to 2012 and have a banner display everytime you navigate to the website to select English or French. That works, but it agitates the sh*t out of a lot of Anglophones in my experience. 

French language content is a must, if not necessarily on the individual club site then the CPL site.  Even if there is no original content, existing articles need to be available in French.  Least to my mind.  It's an important investment.  Original content will come in time. 

I know staff and resources have to be spread a little thin over there but honesty, how hard would it be to ring up your contacts at the CSA/Soccer Canada and see if you couldn't find someone in the media department who's bi-lingual and would be willing to properly translate articles into French on a pay-as-you go basis.  The CSA has a French language site, is it arse?  It it isn't then this is one of those instances of benefiting from sharing resources.  Just like Valour is trying to doing with the existing Blue Bomber staff and infrastructure.  That's the whole point of the relationship!

I dont care about the origin article being in one or other but both options have to be available and its simply just not hard or groundbraking to do. Two alternate sites with the flag and English/Francais to be visible in the top corner to click on to flip the site into one or the other is how most European websites work. 

In terms of original content springing up for one culture or the other I find it hard not see double standards. It's simply not catering to your full potential fanbase wherever you are. Although at which stage does the PC brigade stop to that end. 

Do we have the translate button here. I know i'm not alone in impatiently waiting to re-read about John Van't Shipp another language. 

Really want this done because - simply put - it is a reasonable thing to do that extends a tremendous amount of good will.

Plus, and maybe this is my work voice speaking, having the mechanism from the get-go would have avoided this very discussion and would mean that it doesn't have to be built on the fly as the communities that have been mentioned (hopefully) come on line.

Aside: does anyone know if any of the staff and stringers the league is using to generate content are bilingual (English and French)?

7 hours ago, Andrew W said:

Really want this done because - simply put - it is a reasonable thing to do that extends a tremendous amount of good will.

Plus, and maybe this is my work voice speaking, having the mechanism from the get-go would have avoided this very discussion and would mean that it doesn't have to be built on the fly as the communities that have been mentioned (hopefully) come on line.

Aside: does anyone know if any of the staff and stringers the league is using to generate content are bilingual (English and French)?

They're not. 

I've asked on social media a few times, and been told it's coming. Last time they said that was November. 

With Halifax now home to two francophone players, they could absolutely start doing bilingual player messages. The Fury and the Impact both do this to pretty good success, though neither do it consistently. 

Memorably, the Fury did it with Canadian players too. I got an e-mail with a link to a video with Maxim Tissot wishing you a happy holiday en francais, and others got one with JDG doing the same en anglais. 

Doooo ittttttt Halifax!  

I believe Sukunda is also bilingual, meaning the Wanderers actually have three bilingual players. (Hocine, Sukunda, and Lamy)

We'll be sure to tell the club they should do some French player messages. It takes almost zero effort, but is a nice gesture to the Acadians in NS and NB, and would certainly give us more fans in Quebec.

As part of the supporters group, I've always wanted to have more French engagement, however I cannot speak French. We've had at least one interview done in French, but that's about it. Finding someone who can give it the commitment it deserves is difficult.

23 hours ago, garmc said:

I believe Sukunda is also bilingual, meaning the Wanderers actually have three bilingual players. (Hocine, Sukunda, and Lamy)

We'll be sure to tell the club they should do some French player messages. It takes almost zero effort, but is a nice gesture to the Acadians in NS and NB, and would certainly give us more fans in Quebec.

As part of the supporters group, I've always wanted to have more French engagement, however I cannot speak French. We've had at least one interview done in French, but that's about it. Finding someone who can give it the commitment it deserves is difficult.

I completely forgot about him, and he is Franco-Ontarian. I feel like I've betrayed myself haha! 

I have a conference booked in Halifax this summer, and if I don't get to take in a Wanderer's game (and visit the gardens just beside the stadium again) I will be supremely disappointed. This is the team I am most looking forward to seeing, and I hope they somehow get to play Ottawa or Montréal this year in Coupe Voyageurs. Your comments are encouraging and make me think that Halifax is the most "Canadian" of the teams in the league so far. 

I would help whichever group make a Franco-Ontarian vs Québécois vs Acadian TIFO. No joke on that one. 

Câline de bine, they've actually posted un gazouilli en français again! Here's hoping that this means the feed will be in both languages/include simultaneous translation.

Also, assuming that this is an announcement about a broadcast deal, they had better ensure that the deal includes equivalent coverage in French (i.e., RDS, TVA Sports, Radio-Canada Sports, etc.).

• 3 weeks later...

Can I just say that it's super cool that Chris Mavinga is all about Tweeting in French while wearing TFC red? 

I hope other players take note, especially in CanPL markets like Halifax where there are a lot of Acadians paying attention, but not engaged. I cannot get my family in Clare to care one bit about this league because it isn't 'ours'.  

I had a really bad experience at BMO in 2009, and probably won't go back any time soon, but I'll certainly be digging out my old TFC mug on game day now. 

(Bonus chapeau à Laurent Ciman si il continue de jaser avec les fans en français aussi).

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 2:51 PM, Ansem said:

Looks like Paul Beirne is now getting on top of things with French Media 

I mean, that's really late to the game, and only after a few people had massive tweet threads about the lack of inclusion (myself included). 

Like, it's great they're waking up. No criticism there, but there was no consideration, which kinda stings man. 

13 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I mean, that's really late to the game, and only after a few people had massive tweet threads about the lack of inclusion (myself included). 

Like, it's great they're waking up. No criticism there, but there was no consideration, which kinda stings man. 

I think you really need Laval and ideally Quebec City as well in the league. This is where French medias will care a lot more.

*Despite their tweets, some of them really don't care about it like Filosa who has border line put down the league. 

They need a French VP of something or French Vice-Commissioner. Someone really well known in Quebec soccer circle and the population to draw the attention of medias and audiences.

I'm sure they already know that... hopefully they do

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think you really need Laval and ideally Quebec City as well in the league. This is where French medias will care a lot more.

*Despite their tweets, some of them really don't care about it like Filosa who has border line put down the league. 

They need a French VP of something or French Vice-Commissioner. Someone really well known in Quebec soccer circle and the population to draw the attention of medias and audiences.

I'm sure they already know that... hopefully they do

Cela dépend du journaliste. Les journalistes du journal Le Droit à Ottawa ont suivi la première division canadienne, mais seulement dans le contexte d'Ottawa. Je pense que Moncton, Ottawa, Sudbury et même Winnipeg et Halifax pourraient tous être qualifiés de marchés avec une présence francophone suffisante pour mériter l'attention des médias.

I mean, point taken here, but honestly if the <Canadian> league cannot be bothered to put out content in French for the 2-million French speakers outside of Québec, then it's not really <our Canadian leauge>, is it? 

10 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Cela dépend du journaliste. Les journalistes du journal Le Droit à Ottawa ont suivi la première division canadienne, mais seulement dans le contexte d'Ottawa. Je pense que Moncton, Ottawa, Sudbury et même Winnipeg et Halifax pourraient tous être qualifiés de marchés avec une présence francophone suffisante pour mériter l'attention des médias.

I mean, point taken here, but honestly if the <Canadian> league cannot be bothered to put out content in French for the 2-million French speakers outside of Québec, then it's not really <our Canadian leauge>, is it? 

Oh I agree with you. At this stage of the project, the state of French in CPL is simply unacceptable.

About 30 years ago when the train still ran on Vancouver Island, I remember seeing a railway employee throwing out boxes of French pamphlets. When I asked him why he said no one ever asks for them, but he added we get asked for Chinese every day and have none. Don't know about French in Alberta but there are way, way more households speaking Chinese and Punjabi than French in BC. Ergo things like Hockey Night in Punjbai.

32 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

2-million Chinese in Canada ;)

3 minutes ago, Vic said:

2-million Chinese in Canada

But being very accommodating to those 2 millions French Canadians put you on the over 8 Millions Quebecers good side...who happens to have a very high overall wealth and influence.

That's where I think the league should have been proactive on the French angle.