Sign in to follow this  
Kent

CPL bilingualism

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2019 at 5:25 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

the cost is negligible

Dont get me wrong, I'm the 1st who wants the whole league bilingual and I've written to the league and tweet about it tons of times.

However, bilingualism across the board is not inexpensive. It's can be very expensive

The higher the standards, the pricier it is. Having teams in Quebec and New Brunswick will change that as they will be in those markets and get some of that investment back. Trust me for bilingualism, you truly get what you pay for, and not being serious about it while butchering French left and right is worse than not having any of it... (Those reading Journal de Montreal will know what I mean) The nitpicking on French mistakes is ridiculous and viewed as an insult to francophones and they aren't the only one doing it.

I fully disagree with their approach on billiguism, but I get the business decision behind it.

I talk to French sports journalists all the time on Twitter and they use the "lack of French" content as an excuse. BS... as MLS, NHL have very limited to no French content and they go silent on that switching to "it will come, it takes time and it's an editorial decision". Having teams in Quebec is really the only way that CPL makes the bilingualism jump.

Sure, they could have spent upfront on French content and for a while, they actually did at first. The content was late but it was there and the page was there, but the Quebec media still was just giving CPL ZERO F........It's MLS & Impact for life over there until a CPL Quebec team emerge. A dedicated bilingual and/or Francophones covering the league and those teams will be essential then

Don't get me wrong, personally, I think they should have kept persevering with bilingualism, but business-wise, I see why they reallocated their resources and delayed it.

It will happen once Laval is announced. They'll have no choice to be fully bilingual once they get there and It will cost them a lot.

Edited by Ansem

24 minutes ago, Ansem said:

...It will happen once Laval is announced. They'll have no choice to be fully bilingual once they get there and It will cost them a lot.

They're going into France with CPL next year, so it's happening with or without Laval (unless they opted not to show it in Canada in French for some stupid reason)

Posted (edited)

@Ansem just regarding cost, in the case of OneSoccer, I do think time was more of a factor. Like you said get what you pay for and a rush job would likely have sucked, from what I've heard MediaPro largely took over the original CPL plan late in the game. They have the funds but did not have reasonable time.

I do think going into the season without even an official French blog was stupid (again 20% of the country) and somewhat harmful to the image.

Edited by matty

On 3/16/2019 at 7:12 PM, Blackdude said:

Yes, but I've never heard him speak French. 

He understands French but hardly speaks it. He studied in English in Montreal