CPL bilingualism

Kent

24 minutes ago, Ansem said:

...It will happen once Laval is announced. They'll have no choice to be fully bilingual once they get there and It will cost them a lot.

They're going into France with CPL next year, so it's happening with or without Laval (unless they opted not to show it in Canada in French for some stupid reason)

@Ansem just regarding cost, in the case of OneSoccer, I do think time was more of a factor. Like you said get what you pay for and a rush job would likely have sucked, from what I've heard MediaPro largely took over the original CPL plan late in the game. They have the funds but did not have reasonable time.

I do think going into the season without even an official French blog was stupid (again 20% of the country) and somewhat harmful to the image.

Edited by matty

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, Soro17 said:

Pretty simple I think. It is a business and there is no team in Quebec, or anywhere with a meaningful Francophone population (with apologies to the 50,000 Franco-Manitobans and the good people of St. Albert). Once there is a team in those markets, things will change. This isn’t a government subsidized entity with cash to burn. 

Cash to burn? Give me a break. It already knows the name of the league in french. Printing it on those balls was a 0$ investment that expands the reach of the league even if in the slightest way. Also, as a profit organization, it should want to expand its brand rather than restrict it. 

On 5/11/2019 at 11:20 PM, Ansem said:

I talk to French sports journalists all the time on Twitter and they use the "lack of French" content as an excuse. BS... as MLS, NHL have very limited to no French content and they go silent on that switching to "it will come, it takes time and it's an editorial decision".

MLS and NHL arent canadian leagues though, are they? In the north american context, the french language is negligable, yet there is french content on NHL.com and MLSSOCCER.com. I think it should be proportionnaly higher on canpl.ca given the larger proportion of francophones within Canada. Im not saying it should be 50/50, but in due time, it should represent the proportion of francophones within Canada. For the moment, its almost inexistant.

On 5/9/2019 at 10:19 PM, matty said:

I want to hit the like button for this very hard (but haven't had the ability to hit "like" on any posts for a while now). Not having any French coverage at NSXI tears me up, but we're volunteers so there's some allowances that can be made there. (Wanted: Volunteer French language writers & French-language content editor)

The CPL & OneSoccer are not volunteers, and really should have fully bi-lingual coverage of all articles & matches. Given the content is heading to France next year, it's pretty disappointing they've opted to do absolutely nothing about a fairly large market. Sure, there are currently no teams in Quebec, New Brunswick, or Northeastern Ontario, but that's a sizeable population that you're alienating by not having even an option for voice-overs or subtitles.

Not sure on day one, there's much point worrying about bilingual coverage, when there are no teams in bilingual areas of Canada (not sure Winnipeg counts any more!).

Obviously they'll have to step up their game if teams are added in Quebec and/or Ottawa, etc.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:36 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Canada is a bilingual country with French having equal status with English. It is unacceptable that the league's website doesn't fully reflect that reality. What individual teams and broadcasters do is another issue.

I think you are 100% wrong. It is not unacceptable. There are so many ways that the CPL website, communications, etc., need to improve. This is a not big priority until there' is any teams in bilingual areas. Maudit perroquet!

Edited by nfitz

On 6/1/2019 at 1:25 AM, nfitz said:

I think you are 100% wrong. It is not unacceptable. There are so many ways that the CPL website, communications, etc., need to improve. This is a not big priority until there' is any leagues in bilingual areas. Maudit perroquet!

I'm sure you meant teams, not leagues, but that's not my point.  I've made a billion typos in my life.

This is a bit of chicken and egg.  Not bothering to appeal to a large segment of the Canadian population because they don't have any teams in the league is not only awfully impolite, but also it's not really the best way to lure francophones into joining the party.  If I were a potential francophone owner of a team, and I saw that the league and some of its fans don't give a toss about whether or not the league's content is available in my official language, I'd go buy a lacrosse team instead.

8 hours ago, vancanman said:

I'm sure you meant teams, not leagues, but that's not my point.  I've made a billion typos in my life.

This is a bit of chicken and egg.  Not bothering to appeal to a large segment of the Canadian population because they don't have any teams in the league is not only awfully impolite, but also it's not really the best way to lure francophones into joining the party.  If I were a potential francophone owner of a team, and I saw that the league and some of its fans don't give a toss about whether or not the league's content is available in my official language, I'd go buy a lacrosse team instead.

Yeah, this. Especially when the CPL also talks about how valuable it is when they have seen supporters groups gather before a team exists. They aren't going to spark that grassroots movement if the people don't know anything about the league.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:01 AM, vancanman said:

If I were a potential francophone owner of a team, and I saw that the league and some of its fans don't give a toss about whether or not the league's content is available in my official language, I'd go buy a lacrosse team instead.

I'd think anyone with the money to invest in something like this, is much more likely to be pragmatic enough to recognize that it wouldn't be a day one priority while there are no teams in bilingual or French areas.

But hang on ... I didn't think the National Lacrosse League's website had as much French coverage as the CPL after over 30 years of operation. Is there a French website I've missed? If not, why instead choose a league with even less French coverage ... I'm not understanding the thought process here.

How much French was on their website before and after the short-lived Montreal Express joined? 

Edited by nfitz

That started off as an American league. If something is truly Canadian then French and English should be equal by definition because that's fundamental to what Canada is all about. It's reasonable enough that individual teams and broadcasters can opt for one language exclusively, but the league itself should be doing both with an equal level of enthusiasm rather than treating French all too obviously as a token afterthought. That sends a bad signal if they are serious about expansion in Quebec.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

I'd think anyone with the money to invest in something like this, is much more likely to be pragmatic enough to recognize that it wouldn't be a day one priority while there are no teams in bilingual or French areas.

But hang on ... I didn't think the National Lacrosse League's website had as much French coverage as the CPL after over 30 years of operation. Is there a French website I've missed? If not, why instead choose a league with even less French coverage ... I'm not understanding the thought process here.

How much French was on their website before and after the short-lived Montreal Express joined? 

I just threw lacrosse out there at the end as an example of what someone might do with their money.  They could contribute to a team CFL team in The Maritimes, or anything else.  The point I was making was about the Canadian Premier League's lack of French content, and I didn't even mention a lacrosse league by name.  I'm pretty sure the Quebec Senior Lacrosse league has plenty of French content, and the National Lacrosse League isn't Canadian anyway.

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

CPL is a business. There are French businesses that are not bilingual and English businesses that are not bilingual. I am sure CPL will add bilingual content when it makes sense.

In the meantime, football is a universal language that transcends speech.

I'd agree it's a business if it went the franchise route of every other North of Mexico sports leagues, where expansion fees are the only thing leagues really care about.  The Canadian Premier League is, as it should be, not a business, but a group of people promoting the sport in this country.

3 hours ago, vancanman said:

I just threw lacrosse out there at the end as an example of what someone might do with their money.  They could contribute to a team CFL team in The Maritimes, or anything else.  The point I was making was about the Canadian Premier League's lack of French content, and I didn't even mention a lacrosse league by name.  I'm pretty sure the Quebec Senior Lacrosse league has plenty of French content, and the National Lacrosse League isn't Canadian anyway.

Oh well ... if I'm wrong, then we won't be seeing any Quebec teams added to the league. Why don't we just put a pin in it and see what happens in the next few months.

And then another pin until the 2020 season starts if there are Quebec teams added. That's the point there should be concerns expressed (and quite rightfully so at that time!).

Il faut se poser la question. Si tu veux une équipe au Québec et que ta couverture en français se limite à des articles de Canada Soccer et l'annonce de onesoccer, je me demande pourquoi un investisseur québécois voudrait investir dans ce championnat. Je crois que la Première Ligue Canadienne doit montrer le premier pas et engager un écrivain francophone. Je comprends qu'il ne peut pas tout couvrir, mais avoir des articles lors d'annonces officielles ou un compte-rendu hebdomadaire. C'est une question importante et je crois que la Première Ligue Canadienne doit en donner si elle veut rester. L'application CCL qui plantait en français lorsque j'essayais de faire mes choix dans la Fantasy parce que je ne voyais rien et que je devais changer mon téléphone de langue pour faire cela. Ils ne se sont pas trop posés de questions sur le volet français. Il y a des gens qui veulent que cette ligue marche. Si tu es capable d'avoir une demi-douzaine de journalistes qui couvrent la ligue en général sur le site en anglais, tu peux bien en trouver un qui le fait en français.

• 1 month later...

Excellent podcast en francais

J'ai aimé leur commentaire sur le Ottawa Fury et leur reaction sur les propos de De Guzman qui a affirmé préférer voir le club dissout que de jouer en CPL... "Pas fort Ottawa, vraiement pas fort"

So the Fury actually aren't good for Canadian football if they prefer not to exist rather than join the CPL? They rather die by their own sword rather than being captured by the enemy?

What has got De Guzman so irked about the CPL? 

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, red card said:

So the Fury actually aren't good for Canadian football if they prefer not to exist rather than join the CPL? They rather die by their own sword rather than being captured by the enemy?

What has got De Guzman so irked about the CPL? 

My guess is the Fury will still be in USL next year.

I don't understand why they want to stay though. That league is a joke of a behemoth now. The MLS affiliates cheapen it as well.