Possible US based team (Spokane, Washington) in the CPL?

Cblake

Not really sure what to think of this, but the the mayor of Spokane, Washington mentioned the CPL as a possible league for a new Spokane soccer team playing out of a new stadium he is looking to build. The the much more realistic option the USL is also mentioned but for the CPL to even come up in the conversation is more than interesting. I am not even sure if this would be allowed. 

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018/07/new-downtown-spokane-stadium-pitched-for-pro-soccer/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jul/18/condon-minor-league-soccer-could-come-to-spokane-w/

19 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Not really sure what to think of this, but the the mayor of Spokane, Washington mentioned the CPL as a possible league for a new Spokane soccer team playing out of a new stadium he is looking to build. The the much more realistic option the USL is also mentioned but for the CPL to even come up in the conversation is more than interesting. I am not even sure if this would be allowed. 

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018/07/new-downtown-spokane-stadium-pitched-for-pro-soccer/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jul/18/condon-minor-league-soccer-could-come-to-spokane-w/

The league already said no to US based league and a bit arrogant on their part to just assume that CPL would want them ahead of Canadian cities (of similar or bigger size on top of it) and ignorant on their part to just assume that the USSF and CSA would ever agree to it

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The league already said no to US based league and a bit arrogant on their part to just assume that CPL would want them ahead of Canadian cities (of similar or bigger size on top of it) and ignorant on their part to just assume that the USSF and CSA would ever agree to it

Did they say no outright? I don't recall if it was no or after Canada is done. It's kinda of weird cause I don't see it playing well with the USSF.

27 minutes ago, matty said:

Did they say no outright? I don't recall if it was no or after Canada is done. It's kinda of weird cause I don't see it playing well with the USSF.

Yes, I think it was Beirne or Clanachan who had said that they were approached by US cities and turned them down

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yes, I think it was Beirne or Clanachan who had said that they were approached by US cities and turned them down

Coolies, that kind of open for the future but kind of also pushes a Canada now idea. I have no issues if they let someone in (especially if they've reach the 2 tier set up) but never see it happening.

I'd only be open to it in a can't miss situation i.e. if Detroit City FC wanted to make a move.. they have a great fan base and are literally over the river.  That could work - maybe Buffalo as well. 

Barring a can't miss situation thought it's a no go.  I imagine Spokane is just positioning itself and throwing CPL's name out there as if USL is competing with someone.  

What is this blasphemy? Kill it. Kill it now. 

For the record, probably not for the first time, I personally don't care how much money an American team might want to put in. This is a Canadian league. The Americans have established leagues. 

I echo the sentiment that it is good people are talking about wanting to be a part of the league though  

11 hours ago, matty said:

Holy fuck I did not see a "major" American city (200k+ is the criteria iirc) talking about having a CPL team. That's kinda big. Still no from me (I want a Canadian league) and don't see USSF approving.

LOL, no one, and I mean NO ONE, outside of Spokane would ever describe it as a major American City. Sweet Jeebus, it doesn't even crack the 100 largest cities list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Why on earth would we want this?  

More travel time for teams from the east.  Border hassles for all.  Helping the USSF develop players when they have plenty of developmental opportunities already (and have only made concessions to Canadians when pressure mounted).  

What is the upside?  It's not like one team in Spokane brings significant glory, exposure or media money to the league.  More US teams would be required to deliver any of those things and that would likely result in us giving away some degree of control (see NHL...).

Even if USSF was down, it raises the same question that the inclusion of MLS2 teams would have - is the gain of one club worth potentially adulterating what the league sets out to be?

Basically, would this club be subject to the same roster regulations as the rest of cpl? Would they maintain the ethos of 'For Canadians, by Canadians'?

If an American side legitimately fulfilled those goals I wouldn't be opposed, I just can't imagine them doing so.

Just now, ted said:

LOL, no one, and I mean NO ONE, outside of Spokane would ever describe it as a major American City. Sweet Jeebus, it doesn't even crack the 100 largest cities list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

My first kiss was in Spokane, a girl pushed me into a closet at a Bar Mitzvah and left me in shock for the next half decade. So on that basis, it is a big enough city for me, I would let them in. 

3 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Didn't people learn their lesson after the CFL tried this in the 90s

To be fair Spokane is not Sacramento, Vegas, Shreveport, Baltimore, Sacramento,  Memphis San Antonio or Birmingham. All cities in the South. And  Spokane has a team in the Canadian Hockey League. So it's not unheard of a Spokane team to play in a Canadian league. They have done that for the past 33 years. Heck Spokane won the hockey equivalent of our Challenge Cup, the Allan Cup on two occasions. 

I don't think comparing the CFL USA experiment to a potential CPL team in Spokane is the same. I disagree that they should allow Spokane in, but don't compare both.

7 hours ago, Blackdude said:

To be fair Spokane is not Sacramento, Vegas, Shreveport, Baltimore, Sacramento,  Memphis San Antonio or Birmingham. All cities in the South. And  Spokane has a team in the Canadian Hockey League. So it's not unheard of a Spokane team to play in a Canadian league. They have done that for the past 33 years. Heck Spokane won the hockey equivalent of our Challenge Cup, the Allan Cup on two occasions. 

I don't think comparing the CFL USA experiment to a potential CPL team in Spokane is the same. I disagree that they should allow Spokane in, but don't compare both.

I didn’t know they had a Jr A team but the major junior team has also won the memorial cup twice and consistently ranks top 10 in CHL attendance. 

Archived