Possible US based team (Spokane, Washington) in the CPL?

Cblake

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

That’s horrible logic. Here is the same logic applied to the opposite of your views I’m sure. “A pro soccer league in Canada? Didn’t people learn their lesson after the CSL tried this in the 90s?”

He certainly meant on how American teams were starting to bitch about our Canadian rules and became vocal and public about it.

YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT!!!! EVER!

You can't guarantee that somewhere at sometime a GM, team president, coach or players aren't going to go rogue and embarrass the league or worse, put it in a situation where they could just take off to USL or threaten to do so while destabilizing the league just because they were unable to "pause" their patriotic urges (Americans have a terrible track-record at it) to denounce that local American kids can't be domestic. American "Exceptionalism" isn't a myth, it's damn real.

CPL and most of us already foresee how too great of a risk it is and it simply ain't worth it. 

Windsor over Detroit

Niagara over Buffalo

Kelowna over Spokane (I actually had to google that place)

Sherbrooke over Plattsburg

Let those cities deal with USL, PDL or MLS. Not our problem

I'm not hating, I'm saying that we're this world's 10th biggest economy and it's time to act like it and stop this regressive mentality that we can't get anything done without Americans. 

tenor.gif?itemid=8352668

Can we shut down this thread? The league said no. Nothing to discuss except renaming this thread 

CIA

"Canadian Inferiority complex Anonymous"

13 hours ago, Kent said:

That’s horrible logic. Here is the same logic applied to the opposite of your views I’m sure. “A pro soccer league in Canada? Didn’t people learn their lesson after the CSL tried this in the 90s?”

Eh. Establishing a new league with a new structure, better financing, long-term investment/ownership, a wealth of experience/talent in the North American pro-soccer world and genuine engagement with grassroots supporters movements in communities across the country is one thing. But attempting to expand a Canadian league to areas of the US that are/could very easily be serviced by an American one just strikes me as old hat. 

Times have changed, soccer culture has changed, and the sport entertainment industry in North America had definitely expanded - I absolutely admit that. But all these things considered, I just don't see a Canadian league being a success in the US.* It might be a novelty for American cities for a few years, a foot in the door or a launchpad for bigger and better things in USSF, but I can't envision American cities striving for inclusion in the Canadian D1 - "by Canadians, for Canadians." 

*Before someone inevitably jumps on me, yes, the "National" in the "National Hockey League" refers to Canada, and yes, this represents the highest level of professional hockey in Canada and the US. But considering that this league has its headquarters in the US, the vast majority of its teams in the US, and its chairman for the last however many decades has been a Yank, I would hope that we can all recognize the difference between this "Canadian" league and leagues like the CFL, CPL, etc. 

On 7/31/2018 at 5:49 AM, MtlMario said:

NO, and please someone erase this topic, it's making me depressed.

Not sure why it would make you depressed.  There is interest in the league, and that seems to show me they are on the right track.  I can't ever imagine it would happen for many reasons - CPL and CSA wouldn't want it and USSF wouldn't allow among other reasons.  If I was thinking about starting a minor pro soccer club in the States, especially near the border, I'd look at any league - doesn't mean that interest would be reciprocal.  

If the CPL becomes a success, expect more applications to come out of the woodwork from everywhere.  This would mean that are doing something right.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:49 PM, Blackdude said:

To be fair Spokane is not Sacramento, Vegas, Shreveport, Baltimore, Sacramento,  Memphis San Antonio or Birmingham. All cities in the South. And  Spokane has a team in the Canadian Hockey League. So it's not unheard of a Spokane team to play in a Canadian league. They have done that for the past 33 years. Heck Spokane won the hockey equivalent of our Challenge Cup, the Allan Cup on two occasions. 

I don't think comparing the CFL USA experiment to a potential CPL team in Spokane is the same. I disagree that they should allow Spokane in, but don't compare both.

Yep, they are totally different situations.  The CFL was looking for some way, any way to survive and collecting expansion fees and hoping to expand their footprint was the best idea they had at the time.  It was filled with flaws (including that some teams never paid the expansion fee as promised) and ultimately failed.   When you're desperate, you try crazy ideas.  The CPL is not desperate at all and that is the biggest difference.

To the people that responded to my comment, I didn’t endorse the idea of an American team in the CPL. I don’t want an American team in the CPL either. I was just pointing out that the logic of the post I replied too was over simplistic and can blow up in your face.

On 8/1/2018 at 2:21 PM, Jason said:

Not sure why it would make you depressed.  There is interest in the league, and that seems to show me they are on the right track.  I can't ever imagine it would happen for many reasons - CPL and CSA wouldn't want it and USSF wouldn't allow among other reasons.  If I was thinking about starting a minor pro soccer club in the States, especially near the border, I'd look at any league - doesn't mean that interest would be reciprocal.  

If the CPL becomes a success, expect more applications to come out of the woodwork from everywhere.  This would mean that are doing something right.

Depressing in a sense that the CPL is for Canadians and I don't see the point of talking about letting in American teams. We can do something right without American help thank-you very much. I've been waiting for a league like this for decades (I'm 63), and I don't want it any other way. Cheers.

20 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Wow, the league hasn't even started and we're talking about letting in the Americans. Remind me again what the point of CanPL is, if not a league by Canadians, for Canadians? 

If Americans are interested and are interviewed saying that, not much we can do about it.  I don't think anyone here (or in the CPL offices) are actually "talking about letting them in."  It's more talking about that they are interested.  I'm looking forward to talking about player signings and so forth, but in the meantime this story came up. 

Think this is being taken a lot more seriously than it should be given the sports executive involved probably just assumed that soccer leagues would work like the Western Hockey League does where the Spokane Chiefs are concerned given he appears to have a hockey background:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jul/18/condon-minor-league-soccer-could-come-to-spokane-w/

...Cornfield, the sports executive, has seen a community grapple with whether to build a downtown stadium before. Before his stint in San Antonio, Cornfield served as president and general manager of the Quad City Mallards, a minor league hockey team that played in a facility built in Moline, Illinois...

Hell, if Canadians have had no problem playing in US run leagues, and those leagues have always welcomed Canadian teams as their model is expansive and mostly economic, why shouldn't a US team think it could be reciprocated? We are getting our backs up here, and I don't think that is the right attitude.

We have to be a bit more polite, because in strict terms leagues that have been sanctioned by the USSF and NOT by the CSA have welcomed Canadian teams, and given playing time to Canadian players as such. USL even gives Canadians full domestic status, they are way ahead of MLS on that (who are committing a legal fraud as far as I can see by vetting Canadians).

That said, I am all and very politely in favour of a solely Canadian league, without exceptions. We have to make this work on our terms, without any foreign clubs. 

On 7/30/2018 at 9:49 PM, Blackdude said:

To be fair Spokane is not Sacramento, Vegas, Shreveport, Baltimore, Sacramento,  Memphis San Antonio or Birmingham. All cities in the South. And  Spokane has a team in the Canadian Hockey League. So it's not unheard of a Spokane team to play in a Canadian league. They have done that for the past 33 years. Heck Spokane won the hockey equivalent of our Challenge Cup, the Allan Cup on two occasions. 

I don't think comparing the CFL USA experiment to a potential CPL team in Spokane is the same. I disagree that they should allow Spokane in, but don't compare both.

Baltimore is NOT the south.

We let them into the Canadian Hockey League, so...But let's get this thing off the ground and established first before we even discuss southern expansion.

And to be fair they let us in all their leagues.

14 hours ago, Blackdude said:

To me close is like 4 hours from the border. So Philadelphia isn't close, but Detroit, Seattle are.

That's reasonable. Although, some would say it's a short flight. Baltimore to southern Ontario is like an hour and a half via airplane.

20 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

We let them into the Canadian Hockey League, so...But let's get this thing off the ground and established first before we even discuss southern expansion.

And to be fair they let us in all their leagues.

?? No

This thread needs to die.

Archived