York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Low level in Europe... It’s gotta be Buffon right? Everyone knows that Ligue 1 isn’t a “top league”.

I’m alright with them signing Buffon. Although, I’m not sure that he would be all that much better than a guy like Quillan Roberts.

All joking aside they will be overpaying, so i am not totally into this. But, if that is what it takes in Toronto, it might make a difference.

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Definitely him.  I say go for it - the only negative would be him being a bust but you can still get publicity and have young Canadians make him look silly. 

Yeah, he’s definitely nowhere near his prime, but a guy who was part of the Italian national team can definitely contribute and be a leader and mentor for the young guys. 

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If they use part of the separate salary cap for coaches they can pay him extra as a player-coach.

Great idea and I imagine with the makeup of this squad being young York region players that role would seem to be inevitable anyway. 

23 hours ago, Keegan said:

Definitely him.  I say go for it - the only negative would be him being a bust but you can still get publicity and have young Canadians make him look silly. 

He is a defender and I think a center back and will be 38 which is still ok for that position where intelligence and experience becomes even more important in that position, Italy has a history of players playing on defence well into their late 30’s. The only thing about Zaccardo is that unless your a hardcore Italian soccer fan in the Toronto area most Italian fans might not remember who he is even though he was on that Italy World Cup winning team in 2006. Therefore, it’s not like bringing him in will have Italian soccer fans in the Toronto area breaking the doors down to go see him play, however, he had a good career in Italy serie A and was more or less a regular starter in Serie A for all the teams he played for in Serie A, however I don’t think he played much in the World Cup for Italy in 2006 I can’t remember. However, stating all that if he comes to play would not be a bad move for York 9 and I would imagine they would have to pay him at least 200000 a season I would imagine.

The Maltese league is not particularly strong and Hamrun Spartans are not one of the regular European qualifiers like Sliema Wanderers, Floriana and Valletta, so I seriously doubt he is earning 200k at the moment:

http://blog.fieldoo.com/2014/09/maltese-premier-league-league-review/

Some players keep going into their late 30s more for the love of the game than the money as they know retirement lasts a long time.

If this is legit and they can get the guy in without having to spend silly amounts of money I think York 9 should go for it. Overall there would be no harm in fostering a bit of a Toronto Italia vibe in player recruitment and playing style terms as a way to attract a fanbase when their stated target market skews very heavily towards Italian-Canadians in demographic terms.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The Maltese league is not particularly strong and Hamrun Spartans are not one of the regular European qualifiers like Sliema Wanderers, Floriana and Valletta, so I seriously doubt he is earning 200k at the moment:

http://blog.fieldoo.com/2014/09/maltese-premier-league-league-review/

Some players keep going into their late 30s more for the love of the game than the money as they know retirement lasts a long time.

If this is legit and they can get the guy in without having to spend silly amounts of money I think York 9 should go for it. Overall there would be no harm in fostering a bit of a Toronto Italia vibe in player recruitment and playing style terms as a way to attract a fanbase when their stated target market skews very heavily towards Italian-Canadians in demographic terms.

Well, I know FM isn't always accurate, but according to FM 18, he was paid about $63,000 CAD a year in Malta. So definitely within York's price range:

https://sortitoutsi.net/football-manager-2018/player/3801411/cristian-zaccardo

Not sure about this one tbh. I get the tie in to the italian community and if he is still head and shoulders better than other Canadians or north American sure. If they are thinking he brings star quality though, to me, it comes off as D-list wanna be MLS. 

We'd all love a name player to watch but if they aren't playing at a decent enough level I would rather see that money spent on a higher level Canadian.

Edit: looks like his wages might not be that much. I wonder how much more Edgar was looking for?

Edited by toontownman

Pavel Nedved recently came out of retirement....kind of. I know he's not Italian but that would be a dream. I'd blow a load (no homo) to watch a 46 year old version of him in a Y9 kit driving down the field with one of his signature runs, finishing it off by winding up that right leg almost to the back of his head before snapping it down for a powerful cannon into the back of the opposing team's net.

Edited by Macksam