York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

6 hours ago, tyler453 said:

Someone playing 4th division Swedish football this year is the league's highly touted first international signing. I mean, he scored a lot of goals there, but still. 4th division. I suppose we'll see how it pans out,

Well, guys who are producing numbers half decently in higher divisions are out of reach so this is the type of “project” player you’d be wise to go after.  6’5 and a nose for goal.. ya never know.  

There actually was a Canadian/Slavic  striker who did decently at the 3rd division level and had a stint in the second division a few years back (never got a Canada call obviously).. anyone remember who I’m talking about?  I don’t know what happened with him. 

Edited by Keegan

6 hours ago, tyler453 said:

Someone playing 4th division Swedish football this year is the league's highly touted first international signing. I mean, he scored a lot of goals there, but still. 4th division. I suppose we'll see how it pans out,

I wouldn't expect defenses to be super well organized next year. Strikers should get chances. I can see this working.

14 hours ago, tyler453 said:

I'm stunned too. For what CPL is paying you could nab good players in 3rd tier Spain, which is a higher level than Sweden 2nd division. I mean, really, I find this ridiculous. 

I mean, hey, I watched Sant Andreu, now in Spanish fourth tier, hold Atletico Madrid to a 0-1 Cup result a few weeks ago, hitting two posts late. A mid level fourth tier team now, that had been in 3rd for decades (was owned by Dani Alves' wife recently too). Don't want to overstate things, but if Sant Andreu decides to go on tour to Canada, what would happen: they'd tear their CPL rivals apart, they'd rip them to shreds. Because 4th tier Sweden is weak, it is lower than USL and probably nearer PDL. 

So maybe someone should encourage these scouts to go look where the quality is high and the money is low, and sign there. Like MLS does in 2nd division Uruguay. No joke.

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm stunned too. For what CPL is paying you could nab good players in 3rd tier Spain, which is a higher level than Sweden 2nd division. I mean, really, I find this ridiculous. 

I mean, hey, I watched Sant Andreu, now in Spanish fourth tier, hold Atletico Madrid to a 0-1 Cup result a few weeks ago, hitting two posts late. A mid level fourth tier team now, that had been in 3rd for decades (was owned by Dani Alves' wife recently too). Don't want to overstate things, but if Sant Andreu decides to go on tour to Canada, what would happen: they'd tear their CPL rivals apart, they'd rip them to shreds. Because 4th tier Sweden is weak, it is lower than USL and probably nearer PDL. 

So maybe someone should encourage these scouts to go look where the quality is high and the money is low, and sign there. Like MLS does in 2nd division Uruguay. No joke.

You’re reading a lot into one signing. You’ve jumped the gun a bit I think... how can you determine that the CPL’s quality is going to be so horrible at this point? The clubs have signed a handful of players. Also, for all you know, this Swedish guy was an outlier and is (or could become) way better than the division he was in. Remember, lots of top players start in very low league football, they excel there and are usually purchased by a better club. I’m not saying that this guy is going to be David Villa, but I’ll bet that you wouldn’t have known how good Villa would become back when he was still playing for Sporting  Gijon B.

The league needs to be put into simple perspective. It has been designed to allow the best young Canadian talent aged 16-23 to remain in Canada, so they don’t have to join a European 3/4th tier to scrape a living and get professional first team minutes. The 1% best of the best Canadians  will of course still end up at Liverpool, Bayern M etc as money will always win the day, however now these young players can use the CPL as a stepping stone to bigger things. Hopefully in time the top professional Canadian player can stay and have a 15 year CPL career as the league expands but we are a long way off that happening right now. Let’s just enjoy watching some of these young talents mature into top players and get bought for a few million by the richer European clubs and that money can be invested back into the CPL.   I think most of the CPL managers will be looking to move their top young talents on after 1/2 seasons and keep the conveyor belt rolling.   We do need these more experienced players in though initially to raise the bar and provide some much needed European experience to the league otherwise we could of just rebranded L1O to CPL use the same players and it won’t improve year on year in much needed technical quality. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...So maybe someone should encourage these scouts to go look where the quality is high and the money is low, and sign there. Like MLS does in 2nd division Uruguay. No joke.

I don't think there was much scouting involved here. Jim Brennan coached this player previously when he played for Aurora in L1O. Most L1O teams don't pay their players for NCAA eligibility reasons, so I suspect he was probably in Canada for other reasons. Anyone know for sure what the background was on that? 

1. They don't know the players in Spain, Brennan knows this guy in person.

2. Pay isn't everything, if you're playing in 4th or 3rd division Spain, you're probably hoping to get picked-up by a 2nd vision team. Going to Canada won't increase your chances for that. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I don't think there was much scouting involved here. Jim Brennan coached this player previously when he played for Aurora in L1O. Most L1O teams don't pay their players for NCAA eligibility reasons, so I suspect he was probably in Canada for other reasons. Anyone know for sure what the background was on that? 

I objectively do not mind if you think someone is good, whereever he might be playing, Scout and analyse, by all means. 

But objectively, I do mind that we are going to be stocking the clubs with  foreign players with a low international pedigree, when the international market is such that there are hundreds of mid to low level pros with a high pedigree, which is what we should be striving for. Since our modest CPL salaries, in Canadian income terms, are better than some of the subsistence wages being paid in strong footballing nations. 

If you look at things from a developmental perspective, my sense is that the internationals should be about upper USL quality to push the lower end USL level Canadians to get better -without totally dominating. I suspect Adjei is just a one-off because he played in League 1, similar to the foreign guys taken in the U-Sports draft.

56 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I objectively do not mind if you think someone is good, whereever he might be playing, Scout and analyse, by all means. 

But objectively, I do mind that we are going to be stocking the clubs with  foreign players with a low international pedigree, when the international market is such that there are hundreds of mid to low level pros with a high pedigree, which is what we should be striving for. Since our modest CPL salaries, in Canadian income terms, are better than some of the subsistence wages being paid in strong footballing nations. 

I agree with your point if it holds true but as of this moment it’s an assumption based off ONE signing.  

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Exactly, this should be seen as a "Brennan bringing his boy home" move...

Too soon to generalize the entire league based on that

The guy scored 1.2 goals per game and is 6’5.  Honestly surprised a team in the 2/3 didn’t grab him... I think this is a pretty good signing optics wise if you don’t automatically write off Swedish football. 

15 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The guy scored 1.2 goals per game and is 6’5.  Honestly surprised a team in the 2/3 didn’t grab him... I think this is a pretty good signing optics wise if you don’t automatically write off Swedish football. 

I watch a few highlights from the York 9 page on him and he does seem very talented. They also did say he had other options in Sweden but came here.

https://canpl.ca/video/york9-fc-signs-swedish-striker-simon-adjei-from-assyriska-ik

Also:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/york-9s-adjei-karlsson-ready-make-cpl-splash-return-canada/

“When I was with Aurora, we brought him over from Sweden and right away I knew he was special. After the season was over, I basically told him he’s too good for this league, and that he needs to go back to Europe. He returned to Sweden, but I kept an eye on him because I wanted to see how he was progressing, and then when I joined York 9, my interest in him grew even more,” Brennan said.

We at least know he's too strong for L1O, might be a USL level guy or potentially/most likely somewhere between USL and MLS.

And there's the rub.  Right player in the right mix of players (or system) can make themselves into so much of a difference.  But when the options for that player to enjoy their ideal environment are sorely limited, well you end up loosing that players potential.  As well as, I guess, the flexibility of using that's players skill set within something like say your national team program also gets lost.  

Not saying that's the case here, just saying that a place like the CanPL could be perfect for seeing exactly what really is out there.  What do we got?  What looks like it can be blended together for maximum collective effect.  Maybe we won't find as many diamonds in the rough as we'd like but you know what?  Emeralds are precious too.       

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

The thing I hate most about twitter news is that you often have to click a link to find out the name of the person they are talking about. Woohoo! York 9 signed J Springs11! When they doubled the character count, why couldn't people change the usual format and say something like "Justin Springer (@j_springs11)".

End of rant from a person that doesn't even have a twitter account.

I wonder if they're again avoid mentioning Justin Springer's time with Vaughan Azzurri?   The CPL owners bought League 1 Ontario so why keep hiding it?  You get the feeling it shows off their great scouting staff.   York 9's assistant coach Carmine Isacco would have coached this guy.       

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o234.htm

Here he is as recently as September 18th in a game against TFC III.