York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Rheo

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

They think it sounds better if its an SKN international brought in etc, not the guy that was with Vaughan last season. Cant blame them from dressing it up from a PR point of view. 

Born in Burlington Ontario (says Wikipedia) and played for PDL K-W United.     It was his father's place of birth of SKN that gets him the international chances.   I'd bet he developed his skills playing for local youth teams in Ontario.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Born in Burlington Ontario (says Wikipedia) and played for PDL K-W United.     It was his father's place of birth of SKN that gets him the international chances.   I'd bet he developed his skills playing for local youth teams in Ontario.  

Shhhhhh, you're ruining it!  He is a SKN international....brought in from overseas, sparing no expense (on a G5) and he might need a translator like Neymar going to PSG.  Not a local kid who pulls up in his dads mini-van with a timmies in his hand and a raptors t-shirt on.  

11 hours ago, 1996 said:

So  York9 sign  another League1 Ontario player maybe they should have mentioned that also now that the CPL owns League 1 Ontario no?

Is there even any news from CPL or York 9 that this has happened yet? I don’t doubt that the deal is done, but rather they haven’t announced the signing so of course they haven’t said he played in L1O yet. The article on Adjei does mention his time in L1O.

1 minute ago, badname22 said:

But wasn't there another kid too?

Not that I'm aware of.

EDIT: I just took a look and there was a Luca Ricci that was loaned to Phoenix earlier this year, so it appears that you were correct.

No mention of his 2018 season in League 1 Ontario starting the year for Darby FC (3 regular season and 2 in League Cup) then on Alliance United (11 regular season and 2 playoff games).  A combined 9 goals.   He moved up to forward last season.    He took most of the freekicks and cornerkicks.  

He played for TFC III (becoming captain) and TFC II before that starting as a defender but allowed to run up the wing as time went on.  

Here he is as recently as October 4th in a playoff game vs eventual champs Vaughan Azzurri....photos at the bottom of him taking two freekicks.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o252.htm  

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointed already with this organization. Have a really excellent top rated young player in the GTA looking to get involved and neither this team or even the league head office doesn't even bother to respond to any messages sent.  As i said, disappointing and perplexing to say the least. Not sure this is professional but I will support it anyway.

1 hour ago, sparky2 said:

Disappointed already with this organization. Have a really excellent top rated young player in the GTA looking to get involved and neither this team or even the league head office doesn't even bother to respond to any messages sent.  As i said, disappointing and perplexing to say the least. Not sure this is professional but I will support it anyway.

That was what the open trials were for. If the player would have gone to the trials he may have gotten a look.

1 hour ago, sparky2 said:

Did he apply to go to the trials? Does he have an agent? Is he patient or does he honestly think that people respond to emails (they actually do not, btw)?

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did he apply to go to the trials? Does he have an agent? Is he patient or does he honestly think that people respond to emails (they actually do not, btw)?

As he is just recently arrived in Canada as a permanent resident and knowing about, and requesting/attending trials, was clearly not practical in any way. The club was given this fact of just recently coming to Canada,  plus other details of this talented young man, but still no response even though multiple efforts were made to get a response. The league office also failed to respond for whatever reason. I just think it is unprofessional to not acknowledge an inquiry as you never know who is knocking at your door.  Bigger clubs have responded very well but what can I say further that hasn't already been said... except to repeat it is disappointing and, I think, wholly unprofessional. As a millionaire, no doubt if I was offering to invest a million dollars a quick response would have been received I'm sure.  As it's a new league in Canada, there's no doubt I will support it one way or another. The player in question is surprised that his efforts in contacting this club and league office were not responded to either favourably or otherwise. 

8 hours ago, sparky2 said:

There is a Ontario League 1 showcase happening at the Ontario Soccer Center in Woodbridge in late January for CPL teams looking to identify any league 1 players that may have been missed , if this player is interested and you think he warrants a look get back to me and maybe I can arrange for him to come and play in that showcase identification camp.

56 minutes ago, sparky2 said:

As he is just recently arrived in Canada as a permanent resident and knowing about, and requesting/attending trials, was clearly not practical in any way. The club was given this fact of just recently coming to Canada,  plus other details of this talented young man, but still no response even though multiple efforts were made to get a response. The league office also failed to respond for whatever reason....

Assuming this guy's CV genuinely merits being taken seriously then hopefully it isn't a case of people with PR status not being viewed as Canadian enough. There has been a very strong nativist vibe surrounding this league at times, but a quick scan through national team rosters soon makes it clear that players born overseas make a massive contribution to the national team. Recent landed immigrants should be viewed as an opportunity rather than a threat.

7 hours ago, sparky2 said:

As he is just recently arrived in Canada as a permanent resident and knowing about, and requesting/attending trials, was clearly not practical in any way. The club was given this fact of just recently coming to Canada,  plus other details of this talented young man, but still no response even though multiple efforts were made to get a response. The league office also failed to respond for whatever reason. I just think it is unprofessional to not acknowledge an inquiry as you never know who is knocking at your door.  Bigger clubs have responded very well but what can I say further that hasn't already been said... except to repeat it is disappointing and, I think, wholly unprofessional. As a millionaire, no doubt if I was offering to invest a million dollars a quick response would have been received I'm sure.  As it's a new league in Canada, there's no doubt I will support it one way or another. The player in question is surprised that his efforts in contacting this club and league office were not responded to either favourably or otherwise. 

To be fair the league is probably receiving hundreds to thousands of emails from parents, coaches and players. There were players from all over the world who paid out of pocket to travel to the open try outs just for the opportunity to been seen by CPL coaches. What makes this player so special that they should be put above the rest? If his resume truly merits a look I’m sure his agent will use the proper channels to connect him with league officials. Sure an acknowledgement would be nice but this is a professional league, not amateur or Usports. I’m more inclined to say the league would be unprofessional if they were handing out trial invitations to anyone that claimed they deserve it.

13 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

...What makes this player so special that they should be above the rest? If his resume truly merits a look...

Apparently, "...Bigger clubs have responded very well...", which I guess means the three MLS teams? It would be very surprising if the only players getting training camp invites are those that went through one of the open try outs, so if someone has just arrived with PR status, I don't think it's reasonable to hold that against them.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Assuming this guy's CV genuinely merits being taken seriously then hopefully it isn't a case of people with PR status not being viewed as Canadian enough. There has been a very strong nativist vibe surrounding this league at times, but a quick scan through national team rosters soon makes it clear that players born overseas make a massive contribution to the national team. Recent landed immigrants should be viewed as an opportunity rather than a threat.

Strange conclusion to jump to given we've already seen international signings, with rumours of plenty more coming soon.

Yea so strange that a professional club wouldn’t respond to an email about a guy who just arrived to Canada and is offering himself.  We just had open trials.. unless this player has played at a professional level before that’s where he should have been (and even then there were pros at open trials and even a NT player).  

People have this fantasy that arriving in Canada they’re suddenly going to play professional - it’s delusional.  I had a kick about in the summer with a guy who looked like Bambi on ice who was telling me he was going to have a trial with TFC. 

@sparky2 let’s hear the CV.  As I said - unless he’s an established pro at a decent level no one is going to care.  No one is impressed by players who have played at a youth level or in an academy - we have a country full of Canadian kids who have done that. 

45 minutes ago, RS said:

Strange conclusion to jump to given we've already seen international signings, ...

The difference is that this guy (let's assume it isn't complete Walter Mitty stuff and anyone who has ever run a soccer team at any level will know how delusional some people can be about their skill level) would be taking one of the domestic roster spots. Once you have PR status you count as a domestic worker in labour law terms.

Archived