York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

This is more like the market filling the demand to me.  There’s suddenly ~160 legitimate professional contracts this year in the soccer world that weren’t there last year.  Next year there may be another 46.

People are going to be clamouring to get these spots and use any advantage they can to get them.

These are actually positive developments no matter what.

The churn of players in the next 2-4 years is going to yield all kinds of good things for the Canadian Soccer depth pool.

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

This is more like the market filling the demand to me.  There’s suddenly ~160 legitimate professional contracts this year in the soccer world that weren’t there last year...

Think it might be more like 7 × 12 in terms of something fully pro, but your basic point still holds. York's big advantage is that they should always be able to find the best filler content locally as long as an effort is made to check out all of the soccer that happens in the GTA and it doesn't all tend to revolve around who Jim Brennan and Carmine Issaco have coached previously in L1O or U-sports.

As long as the spine of the team is of reasonable quality to keep the playing standard watchable having a revolving supporting cast of local semi-pro extras helps tie the teams into their local communities and should help uncover a few surprising diamonds in the rough. 

3 hours ago, sparky2 said:

PM sent to 1996.

I recommend you to use a telephone or go personally to the office of the club you are interested in. 

Every year I assign my students to go out and collaborate with NGOs and non-profits for a class, and a large % come back after a month of wasted time saying just what you are repeating: "they did not respond to my emails." And I have no sympathy for them.

Now I expect a designer (what I teach in Spain) to be proactive, know how to problem solve, and be perserverant before obstacles, as it is part of the profession. But anyone with any ambition cannot expect to send an email and sit on his butt. I am amazed by the lack of character at times, by the laziness and self-complacency. Go get it. 

Mind you, just to cut him a bit of slack: if you were looking for a team in a European nation, say a 4th or 5th tier, you would never go to a region and only email one club. Because there would be maybe 15-20 in an area this kid has arrived in, and some would respond to emails, even, others not.

To fill you in, nobody is sitting on their butt, as you say, in regard to this quality player.

There's a lot going on with him, but was simply lamenting the poor PR or whatever in regard to communication in this matter.

He's only been here a few weeks and is being carefully handled.

I have been in this business for years and I did expect that a new club and a new league, trying to get going, to be at least intrigued and not retreating to the familiar. To be a success, you have to be bold.

I have sent players to Europe and many to big USA scholarships. None of this was achieved by not being proactive and communicating well with all parties.

It is good you are expressing your opinions well. It's much appreciated.

37 minutes ago, sparky2 said:

To fill you in, nobody is sitting on their butt, as you say, in regard to this quality player.

There's a lot going on with him, but was simply lamenting the poor PR or whatever in regard to communication in this matter.

He's only been here a few weeks and is being carefully handled.

I have been in this business for years and I did expect that a new club and a new league, trying to get going, to be at least intrigued and not retreating to the familiar. To be a success, you have to be bold.

I have sent players to Europe and many to big USA scholarships. None of this was achieved by not being proactive and communicating well with all parties.

It is good you are expressing your opinions well. It's much appreciated.

You should be a little bit more respectful, this is a forum for fans, many of who have been around a bit. In fact, that is precisely what you were counting on when you came on here to bitch about York9, you wanted us to help create buzz in your favour. 

If you have professional ambitions and come on to a fan message board to speak negatively about the club and league you want to get into, I would say you are, at least, a poor professional.  If you really were doing your job you would not be publicly complaining to people you do not know, about an organisation you may have to negotiate with in the future. 

You cannot say he is being carefully handled if you are doing what you are doing here. If I were on York9 staff and you showed up, and I knew it was you who had posted in this tone on the Voyageur board, I'd say sorry, not going to talk to that guy: he's not serious. And I would be doing what scores of clubs do the world over: avoid agents who don't know basic etiquette.

So stop being so immature, and, please, consult by all means but do NOT post your immaturity on this board if you hope to have any serious future as an agent or whatever you think you are. I feel badly for the player you are supposedly representing. 

I disagree of course, but you are entitled to express your opinions and anger as you see fit.

Everyone else also is entitled to express their opinions too, even if others don't comprehend the message.

No disrespect is intended to anyone.

Have to just add, to be fair, that I would love to know who the player is, and all power to him. It could be a great story, he could be a great find. I really do want him to succeed, if he is indeed worth anything. I just find the degree of unprofessionality so great, and the blindness to inappropriate behavour, required a response. I refuse to keep talking to this pseudo agent or whoever he is, what a lack of serious protocol.

I mean, be smart guy, erase your previous posts and take your frustration out on some firewood or something more useful

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

We might reasonably suspect that if this young player has just arrived in Canada (for the first time??) and already has permanent residency  status then sparky's player is likely a refugee or asylum seeker. If that is the case, he / his family have probably been exposed to, or been directly through some violence, persecution or other atrocity that even the most catastrophizing and self-indulgent of Voyageurs cannot comprehend so IMO we should get off our collective soap box and not expect a youtube highlight reel, pristine academy pedigree or masterclass in agent etiquette.  (That is a general comment and not aimed directly at you UT, so chill.).

As rudimentary as sparky's introduction to the board was, there seems to be no value in harassing him for it. He has met his ostensible objective and made a connection that may at least get him a try out in front of L1O folks so that is a start. In the end football is a meritocracy once you are on the pitch. How you make it to the pitch then becomes irrelevant. 

Welcome to Canada. Good luck to sparky and the young lad. Please let us know if he gets a deal somewhere. 

45 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

We might reasonably suspect that if this young player has just arrived in Canada (for the first time??) and already has permanent residency  status then sparky's player is likely a refugee or asylum seeker. If that is the case, he / his family have probably been exposed to, or been directly through some violence, persecution or other atrocity that even the most catastrophizing and self-indulgent of Voyageurs cannot comprehend so IMO we should get off our collective soap box and not expect a youtube highlight reel, pristine academy pedigree or masterclass in agent etiquette.  (That is a general comment and not aimed directly at you UT, so chill.).

As rudimentary as sparky's introduction to the board was, there seems to be no value in harassing him for it. He has met his ostensible objective and made a connection that may at least get him a try out in front of L1O folks so that is a start. In the end football is a meritocracy once you are on the pitch. How you make it to the pitch then becomes irrelevant. 

Welcome to Canada. Good luck to sparky and the young lad. Please let us know if he gets a deal somewhere. 

Well said could not have said it better myself.

10 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

I can assure you, in any case, that if the person came as a refugee or sought permanent residence status, he did not spend time on message boards slagging the slowness of Canadian immigration paperwork and admin before his request was accepted.

And no need to create a false narrative about the player. Maybe 6-7% of those requesting and acquiring permanent residence status are refugees, and the majority of refugees and asylum seekers are not even direct victims of violence, they apply on the potential for them to be victimised. And have some structure or organisation in Canada assisting them in their claims. I personally have had contact with people involved in such a centre in Victoria (VIRCS). It sort of irks me that you just assume we have to project this victimisation business, it downplays the real needs of real refugees. 

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I can assure you, in any case, that if the person came as a refugee or sought permanent residence status, he did not spend time on message boards slagging the slowness of Canadian immigration paperwork and admin before his request was accepted.

And no need to create a false narrative about the player. Maybe 6-7% of those requesting and acquiring permanent residence status are refugees, and the majority of refugees and asylum seekers are not even direct victims of violence, they apply on the potential for them to be victimised. And have some structure or organisation in Canada assisting them in their claims. I personally have had contact with people involved in such a centre in Victoria (VIRCS). It sort of irks me that you just assume we have to project this victimisation business, it downplays the real needs of real refugees. 

I also doubt that a legitimate asylum seeker would have the expectation that he would be fielding calls from professional clubs weeks after arriving. 

Wait until we hear that this guy wasn’t even playing professionally where he’s coming from. 

In th

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

I also doubt that a legitimate asylum seeker would have the expectation that he would be fielding calls from professional clubs weeks after arriving. 

Wait until we hear that this guy wasn’t even playing professionally where he’s coming from. 

In the end I’m sure this player will be given a chance to play in League 1 Ontario for one of the teams in League 1 Ontario ,  and given that it looks like a few players from League 1 Ontario will be playing in the CPL this season I’m sure if this player does well in League 1 Ontario he will be in the CPL in no time I guess we will wait and see.

33 minutes ago, 1996 said:

In th

In the end I’m sure this player will be given a chance to play in League 1 Ontario for one of the teams in League 1 Ontario ,  and given that it looks like a few players from League 1 Ontario will be playing in the CPL this season I’m sure if this player does well in League 1 Ontario he will be in the CPL in no time I guess we will wait and see.

Is this a tg11 impression? ?

MLS dropped their full schedule today.  

Toronto FC is scheduled for a home game on the CPL opening weekend April 26th to 28th (?)

TFC plays Portland at BMO Field Saturday at 3:00pm.   

I'd say best not to have York 9 play their first home game that day.  Have them play Sunday or on the road that first weekend.  

The next weekend TFC is out of town.  

I'd say now the CPL officials have the MLS schedule and can work around it.  ie don't have York 9 play a home game on the same day as a TFC home game and not at the same time of the same day if TFC is on the road.  

Remember the same old, same old, members of the media will be covering both leagues (except CPL in-house) and after the novelty they may not make the headlines again (think the MASL Mississauga MetroStars drawing a few hundred fans and now even their line-scores don't make the Star's sports page...I haven't heard Rollins mention them after that first home game).  

If there is a TV deal, CPL (or the network) may NOT want to play a game against any Canadian team's MLS game timeslot.    

26 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Check out @York9FC’s Tweet:

Blast from the past.  

No mention of his time in L1O until 2017....well I suppose since he moved on to somewhere more glamourous.    

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports17/17l1o217.htm

He was in this game against Masters playing for Vaughan Azzurri (coached by Carmine Isacco who is an assistant coach with York 9) and scored at 15 minutes.  

4 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

No mention of his time in L1O until 2017....well I suppose since he moved on to somewhere more glamourous.    

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports17/17l1o217.htm

He was in this game against Masters playing for Vaughan Azzurri (coached by Carmine Isacco who is an assistant coach with York 9) and scored at 15 minutes.  

I've seen you say this for virtually every player, and in each time I check they do in fact mention the players' time spent in L1O. "York9 FC head coach Jimmy Brennan hailed the former League1 Ontario standout". What more would you like?