Impact 2018

Blackdude

15 hours ago, Big_M said:

They are not in a much better position then Vancouver..New England has 3 games in hand and DC 5 with 10 of their last 13 at home

Thanks.   We have all forgotten the fact that DCU, due to their move to a new stadium, stacked the early seson with road games and now have a ton of home dates remaining to close out the year.  

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This year the Impact have been a work in progress with the new coaching staff coming into a franchise loaded with incompetence at the front office. Garde hopefully will find the striker and midfielder he needs for next season. When I see they have 4 goalkeepers and now 10 defenders I am anxious to see who stays for 2019. 

My expectations of a deep playoff run if they do happen to make it is still set at nil.

31 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

IMFC already 0-2 down to TFC after 20min. This is what happens when GARDE puts PIATTI AS A FORWARD! 

PIATTI IS NOT A STRIKER. Plus you lose a vital player on the left. 

I was so happy to see him there tonight!  He is not nearly as effective there.  Hppy they don’t switch it up for the second half. Would hate for them to get back into the game.

23 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

IMFC already 0-2 down to TFC after 20min. This is what happens when GARDE puts PIATTI AS A FORWARD! 

PIATTI IS NOT A STRIKER. Plus you lose a vital player on the left. 

Why does Garde never learn this? Had he watched video from the last couple of years when Piatti started at striker he would have known it does not work. Even if he did not do that I can't recall one of the many games this year that he played Piatti as a striker that it worked. Why does he not learn from his mistakes?

Our record with Piatti as striker this year is 1 win and 5 losses with 4 of the losses being by 2 goals or more. In his career his record as striker is 2 wins, 1 tie and 7 losses. What was Remi Garde thinking playing him as striker for one of our most important games of the season? Even if our other strikers are poor (or injured and out of favour in AJH's case) Piatti is a far better player on wing than at striker.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ignacio-piatti/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/37433/plus/0?saison=&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=14&trainer_id=

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Our record with Piatti as striker this year is 1 win and 5 losses with 4 of the losses being by 2 goals or more. In his career his record as striker is 2 wins, 1 tie and 7 losses. What was Remi Garde thinking playing him as striker for one of our most important games of the season? Even if our other strikers are poor (or injured and out of favour in AJH's case) Piatti is a far better player on wing than at striker.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ignacio-piatti/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/37433/plus/0?saison=&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=14&trainer_id=

I think they won against TFC earlier this year playing Piatti as a striker, but he was listed as playing as a second striker on transfermarkt. Totally different reasons. However, it was a totally different formation with 2 strikers where Piatti could roam around to get the ball and he did set up both goals if I recall correctly. 

I do think that with Mancosu picking up a knock late this week and Amarikwa not being ready  to start, that Garde thought it was the best solution. I think Vargas was the other option who could start.  (Technically Jackson, but we know how Garde feels about him)

Garde comes to his senses and moves Piatti back to wing with Amarikwa and then Mancosu at striker. Neither of them were likely to score but they pressured the defenders and gave Piatti a lot of room and he was back to his usual self resulting in a dominating 3-0 win against the top team in MLS.

Montreal finally score some goals from set plays with both Fanni and Sagna getting their first goals in Impact shirts. 

Piatti, after review, was denied a goal for being offside - it was nicely let off by Amarikwa. In the end Nacho got his revenge and scored his 60th club goal in extra time. 

I made a video on Nachos goals and his jettison of the ball kid lol.

• 2 weeks later...

With DC drawing at home today I believe Montreal now has their destiny in their own hands for making the playoffs. They have gone about this quietly with little hype or fanfare. The main disappointing thing from a Canadian perspective is that this season turnaround has coincided with the team dropping the playing time of most of their Canadians, other than Piette. Funny how things can go in MLS though - the prediction by many that Montreal would be weak but at least would give a lot of Canadians a ton of playing time this year hasn't panned out as people expected.

Amarikwa is making Impact Great Again

Quincy has brought something new to the team up front with his aggressive play that is creating havoc on opposition defences. Perhaps this team can make more than just a playoff appearance. However I never thought much of the Union being ahead of them and Phil. could easily drift out of the playoff race. 

Next week should tell us how good they really are when NYFC come to town. 

1-1 draw against Villa and NYC at home. Montreal didn’t play its sharpest game. A few giveaway passes and missed opportunities on net. NYC proved what I thought: not as strong as to when they play on their peewee sized field. 

Piette was a beast. He keeps on impressing me. Reads the game well and wins the ball constantly. Great job bull dog. 

Seeing Mancosu come in after Amarikwa demonstrated exactly why he is no longer starting. Quincy just adds so much energy and power while Matteo doesn’t really put much heat on the opponent and was at times out of position when mtl were on counter. 

In the end at least we came up with a point vs one of the better teams in the league but it was winnable and again not the best execution last night by the B-B-N. 

Big loss against DC United. Piatti got injured. The weird thing is the Impact had the best scoring opportunities but they couldn't capitalize meanwhile DC was able to do that. DC now controles their own destiny with  5 matches including 4 home games, but they play their last 4 matches in 13 days. That's also why I still think it's not over for the Impact, but it looks like it will be hard. 

• 2 weeks later...

He explains their malaise in signing players in the off season resulted in their overspending on last minute deals (spending big for Camacho -meh and Silva, Fanni good signings). If they had competent people on the committee and not Braz and NDS this would save them money and would have a trickle down effect. Not only would they sign the players they need not having to resort to second and third rate choices but also better results which would make the team more competitive and thus have an effect at the box office. 

Like my wife loves to say you go cheap you get cheap. You spend more for quality, you get quality. 

Not only that they don’t even have a marketing team. Joey needs to invest to make money. Cutting on marketing and other avenues will result in a lower end product. 

The part where is sympathise with Saputo is regarding the municipal taxes ($2 mill/year). Why on earth should he have to pay property taxes on real estate or property that he doesnt even own.  That part makes no sence to me.  No wonder that there is reluctance on his part to invest out of his own pockets to improve the facility and hopefully increase or create new revenue streams.

where i dont sympathise with him is in regards to his logic for bringing in minority partners.  Minority partners or shareholders have no say.   So why would any sane person want to come on board to invest in a minorty role when you just told the world that your business has losing on average 11-12 million in every year of its existance? 

He also wants to boost season seat sales through corporate sales.  I could be wrong but, from my observations and experiences, MLS is not really that kind of league.  Season seat holders tend to be individuals or maybe small businesses.   The interest of the true corporate customers lies in venues and sports entertainment akin to the NHL, MLB etc.. MLS doesnt strike me as that kind of a league.   And thats perhaps one of good things in that you have and see more vibrancy in stadium atmopheres at MLS games compared to oter sports.

22 hours ago, Free kick said:

The part where is sympathise with Saputo is regarding the municipal taxes ($2 mill/year). Why on earth should he have to pay property taxes on real estate or property that he doesnt even own.  That part makes no sence to me.  No wonder that there is reluctance on his part to invest out of his own pockets to improve the facility and hopefully increase or create new revenue streams.

i think this answers your question:

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/1129753/joey-saputo-impact-montreal-mls-taxes-ville-montreal-chronique-martin-leclerc

I don’t get it. How can he be losing 11million almost every year? That’s not even close to breaking even. What kind of business is this? 2 million in city taxes but ok where’s the other 9 million?

After watching Patrick Leduc on RDS apparently Saputo lost $15million in 2015 with Drogba and the Champions League! WTH?People were buying season tickets and selling out the stadium back then. How’s that possible? Show the books then. Where and how are they losing so much money? Is the brass getting paid too much? 

By the way how does it work you have the 7th highest team salary in the league but are 13th or so overall in the standings??? That doesn’t make sense either. Maybe the low Canadian dollar? This tells me they are overpaying for players and not evaluating them properly! They don’t even have a junior team and use the Fury. How do they explain their poor business plan? 

20 hours ago, An Observer said:

Actually, i read that article before i posted my comments above. And that article formed the basis of my thoughts.  It doesnt, in my view, answer the question of why he has to pay property taxes on a property that he doesnt own. The author, whom i have read before but i dont agree with his tone on this piece, suggests that saputo got some benefits through out the process.  Such as, getting it built for him with public funds, that the Impact are the only people who can use the facility,  and that there were some financial advantages to having it built on lands belonging to the OIB (Olympic installations board).  

But he still doesnt own the land nor the building and hence i would still like to know why he has to pay property taxes.  Which are super high in quebec considering the property values.  The tone conveyed by the author is that of spoiled rich owner / capitalist crying poor.   But lets ask ourselves this:   From what we can see and observe of the Impact, do they strike us as a club thats truly raking it in?  I can go on and on over the topic of pro sports teams and their history in Montreal.  I have always followed this very closely.  In short, i will say that there are unique challenges in montreal.    And its not just about the owners.  

Archived