Couple of lapses but overall a very solid win.  Moor was outstanding tonight and it was obvious we missed his organization this year. The silver lining with hi out  so long is that he is rested and in a position to give us everything he’s got in the final 10 games. 

When we get  Jozy and Mavinga back we will be tough to beat. Here’s hoping Portland has a real combative game tomorrow and they are bagged or missing some key players for Wed.  Two more wins this week and we will be right back in the playoff picture.  Final point the fans were in fine form tonight.  One of the  best atmospheres  I have witnessed for s regular season game at BMO.

23 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Couple of lapses but overall a very solid win.  Moor was outstanding tonight and it was obvious we missed his organization this year. The silver lining with hi out  so long is that he is rested and in a position to give us everything he’s got in the final 10 games. 

When we get  Jozy and Mavinga back we will be tough to beat. Here’s hoping Portland has a real combative game tomorrow and they are bagged or missing some key players for Wed.  Two more wins this week and we will be right back in the playoff picture.  Final point the fans were in fine form tonight.  One of the  best atmospheres  I have witnessed for s regular season game at BMO.

Jozy will be back on Wednesday but apparently Mavinga is out another 2 weeks again, according to the TSN broadcast of the game which I re-watched earlier today. Sigh......

They really looked at their best coming forward in the first 30 -35 mins but were indeed shakey defensively.  Montreal had a lot of quality chances that they didnt convert and that play whereby the goal was scored and Bono tripped up the attacker, didnt look off side.   

BTW, Giovinco had some choice words about the turf again in his post game.  The CFL fans are going ape s*** over this in their forums.  I have a strong suspicious that this is something the players want to get out there and Giovinco, given his stature and standing with the team and the fans, is being picked as the best and safest guy to deliver this kind of message.  I am sure he must have had a lot of things to vent about over the years that he has been in mls/tfc (ie.: refereeing, mls travel, schedule, mls's quirky rules...etc).   Yet this is the only issue we have heard from him and thats why i think he is speaking for the players.  

Curious to see what MLSE are going to do about this problem. As a side note, if you read some stuff written, i cant help but think that those few CFL fans that still exist are their own worst enemies in so far as the CFL gaining or regaining relevance in these parts.  

Edited by Free kick

8 hours ago, Free kick said:

They really looked at their best coming forward in the first 30 -35 mins but were indeed shakey defensively.  Montreal had a lot of quality chances that they didnt convert and that play whereby the goal was scored and Bono tripped up the attacker, didnt look off side.  

It was offside, although originally I thought it was Krolicki that was offside and after the trip occurred so I didn't understand why a PK was not given until I was able to get home & re-watch my PVR of the game. I then saw it was Taider who was offside before the trip occurred. But yes, TFC were still fortunate on that play because he wasn't offside by a couple of feet, it was close. Really they had this game in hand but let Montreal back in to the game to begin with thanks to an incredibly poor pass from Bradley which cancelled some of the good work he had done earlier in the game.

Bono's form must - or should - be concerning them. He is spilling a lot of balls recently and coming out for that late cross at the far edge of the 18 yard box in injury time was a crazy decision. Moor talked about it diplomatically after the game when they asked him why he decided to head back to the goal line on the play. I wonder if they will try Irwin on Wednesday night

Edited by Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Bono's form must - or should - be concerning them. He is spilling a lot of balls recently and coming out for that late cross at the far edge of the 18 yard box in injury time was a crazy decision. Moor talked about it diplomatically after the game when they asked him why he decided to head back to the goal line on the play. I wonder if they will try Irwin on Wednesday night

Bono is like the football placekicker who hits the big bomb from 57 yards but has the yips between 40-47 yards.  Those low shots look a bit of an adventure right now.

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

It was offside, although originally I thought it was Krolicki that was offside and after the trip occurred so I didn't understand why a PK was not given until I was able to get home & re-watch my PVR of the game. I then saw it was Taider who was offside before the trip occurred. But yes, TFC were still fortunate on that play because he wasn't offside by a couple of feet, it was close. Really they had this game in hand but let Montreal back in to the game to begin with thanks to an incredibly poor pass from Bradley which cancelled some of the good work he had done earlier in the game.

If I recall correctly, when he came charging out on that play he didn't even make a convincing punch for the ball.  He did some kind of half punch half catch and was not close enough to the ball to do either because 2 or 3 players had a better position then he did.  Inconsistent play and decision making is not what you want from your keeper.  The risk/reward on that charge was not great.

Looks like Giovinco, Osorio and Moor didn't make the trip to Portland. Vazquez didn't either but they announced that ahead of time unlike the others. Looks like Bradley and Hagglund at centre back and Morrow at right back. 

Chapman, Telfer and Fraser get starts

Edited by Gian-Luca

"I have a bad feeling that we'll see a borderline B team on Wednesdays due to turf/travel/injuries." < that's what I had typed from a few days ago but didn't post, looks like I was right.

Not looking too bad so far though. Might be able to steal a point or 3 here. I'd prefer the 3 ;)

Delbado is a train wreck.  We are so lucky we are not playing with 10. And due to Vanney’s selections there is no one to replace him and keep the formation.  Gonna be an interesting conclusion.  Get something here and I like the look of our lineup Saturday.

Massive giveaway by Bradley. 2-0 and game over.  Let’s hope Vanney was right about winning the rest of the home games and stealing one on the road.  Maybe he should have left Fraser on and rested Bradley who has made more disasterous mistakes this year then I can recall in his entire TFC career.  Consdring this was TFC 1.5 they did ok for 66 minutes.

It’s over the fat lady has played her song and Elvis has definitely left the stage , excuses can only get you so far, yes injuries, CCL run and blah blah blah good teams will find ways to still get a decent amount of results to make the playoffs it’s a team game after all , a disaster of a season , this is on Vanney and the bestepticle guy general manager with the long name , you go from last seasons run to this garbage please stop with the bloody excuses heads need to role!

Fraser was class tonight aside from not tracking Blanco on the goal.  Should have been Chapman or Delgado off instead of him. Obviously I get he wanted to move Bradley into Frasers spot but he was a bright spot.

I’ve seen enough now to say Fraser is class, he has Bradley potential. 

Edited by Keegan

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

Fraser was class tonight aside from not tracking Blanco on the goal.  Should have been Chapman or Delgado off instead of him. Obviously I get he wanted to move Bradley into Frasers spot but he was a bright spot.

I’ve seen enough now to say Fraser is class, he has Bradley potential. 

Yes but I need to see him on the field with more of the starting lineup and see how he does , because he has played the majority of games with 5 or 6 starters missing, therefore , everytime I’ve seen him play it’s been with the majority of the staters not playing and the team always on the losing end of games.

No issues with the roster management considering a mid-week, non conference road match was always going to be the least important of the nine remaining.

Same target as before: 12 points from the next 15 (aka win the home matches) and then see what you need to do in DC/Montreal.

Seeing as the direct competition for the playoffs are DC and MTL i think the team needs to win both of those road games plus at least 4 of 5 at home.

Just now, theaub said:

No issues with the roster management considering a mid-week, non conference road match was always going to be the least important of the nine remaining.

Same target as before: 12 points from the next 15 (aka win the home matches) and then see what you need to do in DC/Montreal.

I don't get it, but I guess I'm dumb. Portland is in a tailspin, Providence Park is always going to be less advantageous for the home team midweek, you need the points. But you basically throw the game, or at least you reduce your chances severely.

I realize TFC has better odds games in hand, but the problem is that you have all rivals fighting for playoff positions as well, you are really not in a situation to say home matches are easier in the last weeks of the season.

Portland was poor last night.  I was able to watch only the 60 mins but during that period, I saw nothing from them.  That's probably the part that stings for TFC last night. 

I didn't see many chances from either side during that time.  The build up on the play that led to the post being hit by Janson,  was the highlight of the game up  until them

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, theaub said:

As an Impact fan I am both happy they lost and that some young Canadians got some playing time. However, unless there were legitimate injury problems (Vazquez, Giovinco and Osorio were listed as injured for the game but not sure if that is legit or not) it seems like a strange time to do roster management with only 9 games left in the season and being 6 points out of a playoff spot in a 4 way race for the final spot. A couple more losses and they can rest their players all they want in the subsequent meaningless games for the rest of the season. If the injuries are legit then it is a moot point but it is also not roster management. I suspect we will see Osorio and Giovinco return on Sunday though.

As an aside poor roster management on the Impact's part is one of the reasons TFC is still alive as playing Piatti at striker is simply yet another unacceptable gaff by Garde. Not saying we would have won otherwise but anytime I see Piatti at striker I feel fortunate if we even escape with a tie. Why does Garde continue to do what has not worked for any other coach prior to him and not worked for him this year either. Our record with Piatti as striker this year is 1 win and 5 losses with 4 of the losses being by 2 goals or more. In his career his record as striker is 2 wins, 1 tie and 7 losses.

7 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

As an Impact fan I am both happy they lost and that some young Canadians got some playing time. However, unless there were legitimate injury problems (Vazquez, Giovinco and Osorio were listed as injured for the game but not sure if that is legit or not) it seems like a strange time to do roster management with only 9 games left in the season and being 6 points out of a playoff spot in a 4 way race for the final spot. A couple more losses and they can rest their players all they want in the subsequent meaningless games for the rest of the season. If the injuries are legit then it is a moot point but it is also not roster management. I suspect we will see Osorio and Giovinco return on Sunday though.

As an aside poor roster management on the Impact's part is one of the reasons TFC is still alive as playing Piatti at striker is simply yet another unacceptable gaff by Garde. Not saying we would have won otherwise but anytime I see Piatti at striker I feel fortunate if we even escape with a tie. Why does Garde continue to do what has not worked for any other coach prior to him and not worked for him this year either. Our record with Piatti as striker this year is 1 win and 5 losses with 4 of the losses being by 2 goals or more. In his career his record as striker is 2 wins, 1 tie and 7 losses.

I am sure the injuries are legitimate. No reason to think otherwise.

Turf and travel was the reason not to dress those (and other) players. It's better to save them for the home game this saturday, or so they believe. I don't agree with strategy, but that's Vanney's angle.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I am sure the injuries are legitimate. No reason to think otherwise.

Turf and travel was the reason not to dress those (and other) players. It's better to save them for the home game this saturday, or so they believe. I don't agree with strategy, but that's Vanney's angle.

The question is whether they are really injuries stopping them from playing or just wear and tear which is what you seem to think they are. I also suspect they are wear and tear and Vanney is betting that keeping them fresh will help him win other games that he thinks are more winnable. Maybe it will work but my opinion is that this late in the season all the teams still in the running for the final playoff spot need to throw caution to the wind and do the maximum to win every game.