Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Northern Ireland took a very young, inexperienced team on the tour (with all the "stars" left at home after the season) and drew with Panama 0-0. Could have argued this proves CONCACAF is crap.

A few days later the same young and inexperienced Northern Ireland side get thoroughly beaten by Costa Rica and this proves CONCACAF is tough.

It's funny how 24 hours can change perspective.

Note - I'm not trying to fight @ktf, just noting the way it is with sports. And indeed I agree with your CPL statement!

Those are about the results you would expect N. Ireland to get eh?  Draw Panama and get smoked by Costa rica on the road.  I think maybe the way posters described the european teams as being gassed and wilting in the heat was more indicative of CONCACAF problems as opposed to just the results. 

Is it just me or did our boys look huge in comparison to the Japanese kids??  You read the stats but man there are some beasts in that squad.  

I know that we went to Toulon looking for results, but I'm hoping that the biggest takeaway for us from this tournament is the opportunity it gave our players. I really hope that the scouts in attendance noticed some of our Canadian based players with high ceilings (e.g. Daniels, Okello, Kinumbe, etc.) and can potentially line up some moves to Europe. Sure our academies are very good, but getting European experience would be invaluable as they hopefully make the transfer to the senior team.

2 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

I know that we went to Toulon looking for results, but I'm hoping that the biggest takeaway for us from this tournament is the opportunity it gave our players. I really hope that the scouts in attendance noticed some of our Canadian based players with high ceilings (e.g. Daniels, Okello, Kinumbe, etc.) and can potentially line up some moves to Europe. Sure our academies are very good, but getting European experience would be invaluable as they hopefully make the transfer to the senior team.

+1

Players moving from Canadian sides to teams Overseas also opens up spots for Canadians at our clubs here which is never a bad thing. 

45 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Those are about the results you would expect N. Ireland to get eh?  Draw Panama and get smoked by Costa rica on the road.  I think maybe the way posters described the european teams as being gassed and wilting in the heat was more indicative of CONCACAF problems as opposed to just the results. 

Is it just me or did our boys look huge in comparison to the Japanese kids??  You read the stats but man there are some beasts in that squad.  

You have to remember Panama was in "must get a result mode" and got trounced by USA 4-0, only for USA to toss out the biggest disaster ever by falling 2-1 to T&T on the road a few days later.  

Congrats to Panama and all(politically speaking), but the reality and truth is, it is a miracle they made the World Cup, it's unfortunate for our region.   Here is hoping they prove me wrong, but I doubt it.  

I agree, Panama's result vs a stingy strong Northern Ireland squad even if the younger generation was prolly pretty close to what was anticipated.

For our region, I do think Mexico and Costa Rica get through, which will be a surprise to most of the world.

Looking forward to the 5th place match, unfortunate it was not top 8 teams advance, but that really starts adding up the games etc.

I hope the lads end it on a positive.

Side note, I actually feel the group was very very tight between Turkey,Japan and Canada.  You could make the argument that a few bounces either way, for any of those 3 teams, and any one of those 3 would have advanced as top of the group.  

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

+1

Players moving from Canadian sides to teams Overseas also opens up spots for Canadians at our clubs here which is never a bad thing. 

Totally agree and  it’s a must !  My worry is just like in the past canadian kids go overseas and they don’t come back  to play for the national team.  Countless times  the CSA  loses track of them or European  and now maybe African  nations come sniffing around and they steal our  talent.   More needs to be done  show these players  Canada/CSA supports, promotes and gives opportunity to them.

When a players agent goes to the player says you have an opportunity to play for Canada or play for  another nation , Player should be able say ok I was born in Canada or my family is from  there, if I play for Canada I’ll play against the same opponents or higher, I have a decent chance of winning, I’m gonna play  roughly the same amount of games  and I’m going to get the same amount of exposure or more and it’s not gonna hurt my career if I play for Canada  it might even help it . Canada shouldn’t be players second choice anymore we need to become their first choice.   I’ve read so many times players not being supported by the CSA and felt forgotten and  Lost the connection to Canada, prime example LB Zohran Bassong. I worry because of lack of  Games and camps,  good , solid maybe even  Great players are being left  out.  That goes for all ages cross the board U 15 right up to the senior team.

it’s going to get harder keeping players cuz of multiple nationalities  though all  nations have this problem but what are we doing to limit the damage? .  Playing in tournaments like these are going to help,  specially with the results that we got  this tournament.  CPL, growing MLS ,  improving our FIFA ranking,  going to tournaments, creating our own tournaments ,  creating a scouting department, more  Games against wide range of opponents, Qualifying for the Olympics, world cups are all  going to help. 

We can’t take the foot off the gas,  we have momentum now there’s an electric energy in  The air. 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

+1

It's interesting that TFC apparently turned down 3 offers by Wolfsburg for Okello with a six figure transfer fee. They must rate him very highly. 

14 hours ago, Shakmur said:

For sure "we're not that bad", maybe we dont have the starters we had ten years ago but I feel the pool as a whole is much better. But personally, even though imo the Mexican NT is overrated, I'd expect them to outlcass a team like Scotland.

I agree that we maybe lack some of the starters we used to have, but since the 2002 WC qualifying campaign when I started watching, we certainly have the best depth in that time now. The last three years is the first time I can confidently say that a second 11 could be competitive in regional competitions and that there are players that can;t make my ideal 11 or squad that I like or 10-15 years ago may have started. 

13 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Northern Ireland took a very young, inexperienced team on the tour (with all the "stars" left at home after the season) and drew with Panama 0-0. Could have argued this proves CONCACAF is crap.

A few days later the same young and inexperienced Northern Ireland side get thoroughly beaten by Costa Rica and this proves CONCACAF is tough.

It's funny how 24 hours can change perspective.

Note - I'm not trying to fight @ktf, just noting the way it is with sports. And indeed I agree with your CPL statement!

No worries, those are valid points. For me it is more about the difficulty of playing away in out region. We always talk about it and yes they were inexperienced, but for a team that was in the European last 16 in 2016 it still demonstrates the difficulties. Also I have not changed my perspective over these friendlies;)

I found an article in Spanish that Ballou rejected a call up to go with our team to Toulon, preferring to help Barça B at the end of the league. He did not end up playing a minute. The article also says that he may prefer an Ivory Coast call-up, with nothing to back up that claim, no quote or reference. 

From what I have been reading, they may keep him at Barça, mostly due to his age, while dumping the older players at Barça B.

42 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I found an article in Spanish that Ballou rejected a call up to go with our team to Toulon, preferring to help Barça B at the end of the league. He did not end up playing a minute. The article also says that he may prefer an Ivory Coast call-up, with nothing to back up that claim, no quote or reference. 

From what I have been reading, they may keep him at Barça, mostly due to his age, while dumping the older players at Barça B.

Google translate says he was on loan at Barca? Wasn’t it initially reported that he was sold? Or am I mistaken?

oh man, our defense fell completely asleep on that Japan goal, and quite frankly I don't know what happened with Pantemis, he has his eye on the ball and was clearly anticipating the Japanese player to shoot on net yet just stood there, I think he could and should have done better there as there wasn't a lot of power to that shot and it looked like a routine save.

2 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

oh man, our defense fell completely asleep on that Japan goal, and quite frankly I don't know what happened with Pantemis, he has his eye on the ball and was clearly anticipating the Japanese player to shoot on net yet just stood there, I think he could and should have done better there as there wasn't a lot of power to that shot and it looked like a routine save.

He probably thought the shooter was going far post.

Not to be a tool, but who gives a shit?  He doesn't want to play for us.  He has been invited and has gotten developmental opportunities through the Canadian system.  Now he would rather warm a bench than play for us.  Unless and until he signal an interest in playing for us, the best bet is to focus on the guys who do want to wear the red and white.

11 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Lol at Ballou could of gotten playing time and exposure and instead got the bench... seriously mad he’s getting bad career advice. 

Agree. Heard a rumbling that after he turned down the initial call, he may he reached out the Canada team at some point shirley before the tournament started but the agent blocked it, preferring him to stay at Barca and wait for an IC call.  3rd hand info FWIW. Not sure what Herdman would make of a situation like that in terms of “best player available”  vs players who are passionate about playing for our country, since passion is a major component of his approach 

34 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Agree. Heard a rumbling that after he turned down the initial call, he may he reached out the Canada team at some point shirley before the tournament started but the agent blocked it, preferring him to stay at Barca and wait for an IC call.  3rd hand info FWIW. Not sure what Herdman would make of a situation like that in terms of “best player available”  vs players who are passionate about playing for our country, since passion is a major component of his approach 

Ballou from what I heard hangs with Dembelé (actually heard it reverse, Dembelé hangs with young French-speakers at Barça), so that the model is favourable to us, or should be: African stock, play for France. Umtiti as well, he was actually born in Cameroon (Dembelé in France). Mind you, France is a major NT and we are not.

When he gets teed off with his situation and listening to other voices, and tires of Drogba's advice, maybe he'll come back to his senses.

Wrong thread for this sorry but it’s interesting that there are only 11 spots in the FIFA rankings currently separating us and Ivory Coast. I’d imagine the gap may narrow a bit more once IC drops points from the prior World Cup (tho admittedly just a few since 4 years on and IIRC they had only one draw) and LON starts up in fall. I’m not sure what IC has lined up in terms of competition matches / friendlies in the coming months but is it conceivable that with 3 wins in LON we could finish the year ahead of them in the year end FIFA rankings? General sentiment about the real utility of the FIFA rankings aside, there might me something symbolic there worth noting for a player like Ballou if that were to happen. Certainly something Herman might use in a motivational fashion (provided he thinks Ballou is still worth chasing).  

Passing the IC in fifa rankings certainly would not hurt our cause but just to be clear, right now, we are not remotely close in terms of quality with the IC squad. They have 18/23 players that play in either the top 5 or 7  leagues in Europe. The IC is Africa's equivalent to the Dutch and Spanish teams many years ago. Stacked with top players but underperformed on the field. Having said that the IC has still made it to the WC more than us. It is a difficult team to break in........just ask Ballou. I can't see him making the senior team while playing for Barça B. If he does than it would because of Drogba's influence with IC.

Archived