Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

Weak second half and in a full 90 minute match we would be in even bigger trouble, Japan is known as having incredibly fit teams so not a huge surprise.  

Was hoping for more from Millar coming in but I thought Daniels looked really good when he came on.  Legault looked strong at RB when he came in as usual.  

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it comes to Twardek, I think his scrappy play suffices on this team because he's simply older and stronger than a lot of the opponents. It'll be tough for him to develop into a senior team player, I see him being a Marcus Haber who can make it through the Scottish and Lower English tiers but isn't a lock with the senior team.

It's very clear to see how he and Millar are very different even in similar positions.

Hopefully Portugal can help us in the next game, regardless of the outcome it’s been a good showing in the tournament.

I was quite impressed by Cornelius today, I expected much more from Twardek, he had a difficult time today. Seemed to lose possession of the ball while trying to dribble constantly. 

What I watched online blair scored a nice goal and made one pass to Noah and then literally did nothing for the rest of the game. we didn't seem to want to press either we dropped off and took on their onslaught?? The level of passing was poor too every time we won the ball we seemed to give it right back to them... 

Changes came too late. Classic Canadian panic soccer. scared to win scared to loose. It was in our hands and now its not. Does anyone else think the fact that the games aren't played at the same time is diabolical???

Yes I think Liam could have done more too but again why play him rw? He did so well up front with the press last game?? and he seemed to be pressing on his own every one else dropped off?  We should have made the changes at half time...

rant over...stressed!!!

I wasn't able to watch the game yet. But just by looking at the rosters it looks like Canada didn't start their top team. For instance Bair starting up front (although he did score), bayiha on the back line, Norman in the middle. 

It's a short tournament so they need to rotate the roster. But from what I can tell, this was our weakest starting 11 of the tournament. And for them to pull out a draw is pretty good. Let's not forget, we are basically underdogs against every team in our group. Very happy with the tournament, hope they get to continue.

So my opinion. Of course I am disappointed in not getting through to the semi finals but I have to say in retrospect it is an amazing result to be in the mix to finish 5/6 with one game to play. I know before the tournament I didn't think they would do this well.

I know Liam will be gutted as will all the boys they really played like Lions but as someone else had said the Japan team is incredible fit and it showed as most of their goals came in the fine 20 mins(2 against Portugal with 10 me). Liam had also mentioned that there was a stomach bug running through the camp. Not an excuse but just an fyi..

Overall something to be really proud of and something to definitely to build on. This should really give us some hope for the future. Herdman and Beillo were able to pull these players together and put in 3 solid performances against real quality(but different) opposition. They showed grit talent and real heart! Some surprises and standouts and some work to be done but overall happy!!!

Too long a post but wanted to say it!!!

For those confused about the fact both games weren’t played at the same time, it doesn’t matter nearly as much since essentially only the first place team goes through, so there isn’t going to be a situation where there would be a mutually beneficial result for both teams in a game. The only exception would be if the final group could assure themselves the highest 2nd seed.

The main goal for me is that Canada builds on this towards qualifying for the next Olympics in 2020  , it’s time we start qualifying for the Olympics , but as much as it’s nice to get results against some of these top nations at the Toulon Tournament can Canada get wins against Honduras, Costa Rica and so on and qualify for Tokyo 2020 ? This should be the goal now.

I'm looking forward to next years U20's. Half of our starters this tournament have been 99's or younger. Aside from Cornelius who has been our best player this tournament the young players have been as good as the older players. Add Davies and Reid and these 99/2000's are killers.

Archived