Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Grandbloke said:

Very good player, but not sure he would have started ahead of Legault.

I know Legault had a good tournament but going into Toulon, Guillard would have been first choice. I also think he has been playing at a higher level with his club team

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

I know Legault had a good tournament but going into Toulon, Guillard would have been first choice. I also think he has been playing at a higher level with his club team

One thing for sure, the RB position is becoming one of our strengths rather than one of our weaknesses.

Couldn't watch the game so I can't comment on how it actually went, but on paper 1-1 is a great result considering Japan was made up of 19-21 year olds, virtually all of which have J1 experience. Canada on the other hand had 8 players that are younger than 19, and far fewer players with any professional appearances. 

3 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

A few people have said that Canada didn't send its best team to this tournament. But apart from Davies and probably Fraser, which players who aren't in our squad would start for us if they were?

Possibly David Choiniere, Marcus Godinho, Dario Zanatta, Jake Ruby (injured)

The result is that much more impressive given that the timing of the tournament is very disadvantageous for us. Many of our players are still playing and thus unavailable while the European leagues are finished and the Japanese league is on its mid-season break. 

Have to give Herdman and Biello full marks for preparation but Herdman's constant yelling at the players is annoying as hell and seems very amateurish especially if he is going to do that with the senior team (which I recall he did at the New Zealand game). At some point if you are yelling at the team that much it seems that it would lose its effectiveness and start annoying the players as much as it does me.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I'm looking forward to next years U20's. Half of our starters this tournament have been 99's or younger. Aside from Cornelius who has been our best player this tournament the young players have been as good as the older players. Add Davies and Reid and these 99/2000's are killers.

I remember people saying this about the last U20 team or the one before it about all the good players on one of those teams and how good they were going to be at the CONCACAF U20 qualifying tournament and things did not turn out too good. It seems with any of these Canadian national teams once they get to any type of CONCACF qualifying from U17 to the senior men’s CONCACAF World Cup qualifying versus these CONCACAF countries we all of a sudden go from looking good in games against pretty good competition outside of CONCACAF but when we play these CONCACAF teams in we play like crap and these countries like Costa Rica , Honduras and so on look like world beaters versus Canada it makes no sense.Moreover, even though they have done well with a pretty young team, like I said the big thing for Canada’s men’s program is qualifying for the Tokyo Olympics in 2020 and do that they are going to need at least 4 or 5  97’s and 98’s and to this team and I hope there are some games that can be played adding some of these older players because if Herdman thinks he can go with a young team to qualification he will be in for a big surprise and if he adds older players but does not play many friendlies with these older players included results will be hard to come by, that’s why I’m hoping this Olympic team gets a proper preparation and not get together a few weeks before qualifying and hope to make it.

24 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Honeslty this showing should at the very least help keep Verhoeven in the fold, we showed we can compete with good nations.

1W and 2 draws only to not advance really sucks though.

Absolutely agree @Dominic94, it does suck, too damn closed from making it and that typical mental breakdown expected from young inexperienced players put an end to any dream of a magical run in this tourney... All in all, a great performance and we left a great impression, I bet many in here myself included did not expect us to get the results that we did... Man, in all honesty I was even a little fearful we were gonna finish bottom last and battle for the 11th and 12th spot instead of 5th & 6th (which pretty much is for the nations that barely miss out on the semis)... I was quite impressed, but still cringing at that miss opportunity of advancing to semis, those damn Japanese really showed some grit after we scored and controlled possession very well throughout... We did lack a little bit of that attacking instinct displayed in the first two games, particularly after we scored the first goal, we could've done better imo... We had some cheapish turnovers/giveaways too, which didn't help at all... I really hope we get that 5th spot, albeit would be another tough one indeed, nevertheless a good experience for a lot of these lads.... Bloody Turkey U20 man!!!!... Can beat Japan U21 & Portugal U19, yet couldn't beat us, lol and yet they advance!!! And in terms of Verhoeven, now I see why many folks in here were cringing when he attended those youth camps with the USMNT YNTs... He's got some skill and that flair in his game as witnessed by the 2 goals we scored in this tourney... Very impressed with him and hopefully he stays committed to us long-term, heard also he is doing well with Fresno at USL and saw a great assist from him before that tourney leading to a golazo by Fresno... A win on Thurs, could really help convince him in staying with us post-Toulon I would hope.. Wonder when he will crack the Whitecaps 1st team.. If we keep most of this core for next year's U-20 2019 Concacaf Championships, I think we stand a chance... Looking forward to it next year and a future participation in this tourney!!!

This  was  a good  showing   Hopefully   we  can  grow  from  this  and  move  on   The  past  is  the  past    And  people  talking  about  Tabla,  fuck  him .   If  you  would  have  told  me   they  would  have  achieved  a  tie  vs  Portugal  and  Japan    and  I  a victory  over  Portugal   I  would  be  happy  

This was a very impressive showing and hopefully they can carry this over into Concacaf competitions. Although, as was noted by someone (sorry to whoever that was) in the General National Team thread, Concacaf is not so easy as Northern Ireland and Scotland both were completely outclassed vs Mexico and Costa Rica. So hey maybe we are not that bad!

Also, I see this group of youth players as one of the first set that could fully benefit from the CPL. Obviously, we hope many of them (Miller) jump into higher European leagues, but for those who do not, it would be nice to see them turn to the CPL rather than disappear in 3-4 years. 

This is a huge positive for these boys, and the program. Many on this site criticized the roster and thought we were going to get embarrassed. We didn't. Let's carry this over, and hope a few of the lads not only bonded but got scouted along the way. Well done Canada.

10 hours ago, ktf said:

This was a very impressive showing and hopefully they can carry this over into Concacaf competitions. Although, as was noted by someone (sorry to whoever that was) in the General National Team thread, Concacaf is not so easy as Northern Ireland and Scotland both were completely outclassed vs Mexico and Costa Rica. So hey maybe we are not that bad!  

For sure "we're not that bad", maybe we dont have the starters we had ten years ago but I feel the pool as a whole is much better. But personally, even though imo the Mexican NT is overrated, I'd expect them to outlcass a team like Scotland.

11 hours ago, ktf said:

Also, I see this group of youth players as one of the first set that could fully benefit from the CPL. Obviously, we hope many of them (Miller) jump into higher European leagues, but for those who do not, it would be nice to see them turn to the CPL rather than disappear in 3-4 years. 

Northern Ireland took a very young, inexperienced team on the tour (with all the "stars" left at home after the season) and drew with Panama 0-0. Could have argued this proves CONCACAF is crap.

A few days later the same young and inexperienced Northern Ireland side get thoroughly beaten by Costa Rica and this proves CONCACAF is tough.

It's funny how 24 hours can change perspective.

Note - I'm not trying to fight @ktf, just noting the way it is with sports. And indeed I agree with your CPL statement!

Archived