Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

I also don’t understand this team. All the want to do is play backwards. Putting themselves under more and more pressure. And when they do go forward it’s an old hit and hope bs. Liam’s and Aidan keep showing to feet and they won’t play the ball. It is so frustrating watch. 1-0 at half should be more. Hope they can change a few hinges at half tone. Btw Derek in a boot on the bench!!! Bother Liam and Aidan have had a good chance each bt that’s about it...

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Brazilero said:

Poor showing. Poor selection and poor preparation...

??? finishing 6th at a tournament that a few  years ago we'd have probably finished close to the bottom? I know we have tendency to crap on our team but we also need to give them some support when they actually have done well. 

2 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

??? finishing 6th at a tournament that a few  years ago we'd have probably finished close to the bottom? I know we have tendency to crap on our team but we also need to give them some support when they actually have done well. 

Totally agree I think we did really well, we played in the toughest group and we came second in the group with no losses, and losing  to France 2-1,  hey well done boys ! 

Now in anything there are some negatives and positives  that we can take  from this tournament.  I just hope we can learn from negatives and ride  The positives. 

To the guy that says poor selection players I have to disagree,  there’s some few players that I would have like  selected,  overall it was a nice mix of MLS And europe.  Age group was a   good mix, all  are eligible for Olympic qualifiers and the U 20.  It’s an exciting time and we need to play more tournaments like these!  I would love to see canada maybe create our own you tournament like this, we are going to have the stadiums now  across the country 

This team did really well, and exceeded expectations. Strange line-up for the last match but I'm sure fatigue, niggling injuries and knocks and some squad rotation played a role. I think most of us would have taken 1 win, 2 draws and a loss coming into the tournament. I think a good number expected we would be blown away. So I can't complain about a 2-1 loss to France.

@SpecialKlove the idea of an annual or biennial youth tournament - we'll have the stadiums but we'd need a lot sponsorship money. The event would not be a huge draw card.

If we are expecting 6th at this or any other tournament, we are accepting being ordinary as always. The tactics were too safe and unimaginative. I like some of the player selections, but it is still not good enough. We need new minds and new thinking. Just my opinion...

2 minutes ago, Brazilero said:

If we are expecting 6th at this or any other tournament, we are accepting being ordinary as always. The tactics were too safe and unimaginative. I like some of the player selections, but it is still not good enough. We need new minds and new thinking. Just my opinion...

You want to switch coaches again?!

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You want to switch coaches again?!

A new coach every week is the only solution.  Herdman has had a whole five months already.  I mean what's the delay in getting rid of him :)

I thought Zambrano was a very good option for the Men's program. Herdsman and Biello need time to marinate, so they will obviously play it safe. However, our talent pool has players that we could use to play a bit riskier and open up a bit. These players have good speed and technical ability. We tend to select the same type of players. Hard working, hard tackling, tactically sound, but not enough creativity. At some point we need to select athletes that represent a change in tactics and strategy. Sometimes those athletes are not model citizens but their talent is very high. we need to see those players at some point, because they are game changers. Time for a change in our thinking and recruitment. Liam Miller is a great young player, but they need to let him go for it and carve out his own identity within the team. Just my two cents.

I'm surprised that the Sportsnet Article cited Jonathan David as one of the standout performers. Personally I was underwhelmed by Jonathan David. I'm sure that can be partially attributed to a lack of service in the final third, but it's hard to call him a standout performer for me. 

It was noticeable however when he was off the field. With Bair and Daniels up top I sometimes forgot we even had a striker.

24 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I'm surprised that the Sportsnet Article cited Jonathan David as one of the standout performers. Personally I was underwhelmed by Jonathan David. I'm sure that can be partially attributed to a lack of service in the final third, but it's hard to call him a standout performer for me. 

It was noticeable however when he was off the field. With Bair and Daniels up top I sometimes forgot we even had a striker.

Bit over the top to assert, "No player at the tournament had [David's] level of vision", to say the least. But he is really one to watch.

Archived