Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

Wrong thread for this sorry but it’s interesting that there are only 11 spots in the FIFA rankings currently separating us and Ivory Coast. I’d imagine the gap may narrow a bit more once IC drops points from the prior World Cup (tho admittedly just a few since 4 years on and IIRC they had only one draw) and LON starts up in fall. I’m not sure what IC has lined up in terms of competition matches / friendlies in the coming months but is it conceivable that with 3 wins in LON we could finish the year ahead of them in the year end FIFA rankings? General sentiment about the real utility of the FIFA rankings aside, there might me something symbolic there worth noting for a player like Ballou if that were to happen. Certainly something Herman might use in a motivational fashion (provided he thinks Ballou is still worth chasing).  

I'm convinced that even if we (Canada) were a top 25 team he would stilll prefer IC over us. Like he said he feels African (even though he's been here since he was 7/8 yrs old.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ballou from what I heard hangs with Dembelé (actually heard it reverse, Dembelé hangs with young French-speakers at Barça), so that the model is favourable to us, or should be: African stock, play for France. Umtiti as well, he was actually born in Cameroon (Dembelé in France). Mind you, France is a major NT and we are not.

When he gets teed off with his situation and listening to other voices, and tires of Drogba's advice, maybe he'll come back to his senses.

Good points Jeffrey.

If what shocker says is true it's in line with the rumour that Tabla is torn between the two countries. The fact he went to Barca works in our favour in that he's already "made it" to a big club. He just needs to not make it too big too quickly and get called to IC in the near future so that he can work out what HE really wants and not do what others want him to do.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Mexico defeated Turkey 3-1 in the semis. Tomori on the bench for England in the other semi vs. Scotland

England beat Scotland 3-1 to setup a rematch with the Mexicans in the final.

Our match vs. France is tomorrow morning at 8am MT/11:30am NT.

37 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Lol.  You are the only person I have seen use Mountain Time and Newfoundland Time as the standard reference.

20 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lol.  You are the only person I have seen use Mountain Time and Newfoundland Time as the standard reference.

Everyone posts ET/PT, i have to stick up for the little guys.

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Passing the IC in fifa rankings certainly would not hurt our cause but just to be clear, right now, we are not remotely close in terms of quality with the IC squad. They have 18/23 players that play in either the top 5 or 7  leagues in Europe. The IC is Africa's equivalent to the Dutch and Spanish teams many years ago. Stacked with top players but underperformed on the field. Having said that the IC has still made it to the WC more than us. It is a difficult team to break in........just ask Ballou. I can't see him making the senior team while playing for Barça B. If he does than it would because of Drogba's influence with IC.

Also worth noting Barca B got relegated.

On one hand, weaker competition will help Tabla shine a bit more.

On the other hand, it's weaker competition.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

England did not bring on Tomori and Tam Abraham until after they were up 3-1 (after75') and Walker Peters stayed on the bench!. That is incredible. Have to think those 3 will start in the final and should be favoured to win. 

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Also worth noting Barca B got relegated.

On one hand, weaker competition will help Tabla shine a bit more.

On the other hand, it's weaker competition.

As I've posted on Canucks weekly, I think they will give him an option to go out on loan and stay in Spanish 2nd division. That would be very good experience, but he may not think so, he may think it cuts him off from the coaches and development at Barça at what is still a young age.

It is tough call. The first team is under pressure to bring up players from the B team, even if from the third tier. since it has been done before and works (Busquets and Pedro were playing 4th tier when Guardiola brought them up). But as we stand, there are other players before Ballou in line to play with the first team, some will go to the US tour for example, but I doubt he will. So I'd say he'll go out on loan and even if it is a good team in Spanish 2nd, that does not put him on the IC radar at all, don't think. It is easily good enough for us however.

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I've posted on Canucks weekly, I think they will give him an option to go out on loan and stay in Spanish 2nd division. That would be very good experience, but he may not think so, he may think it cuts him off from the coaches and development at Barça at what is still a young age.

It is tough call. The first team is under pressure to bring up players from the B team, even if from the third tier. since it has been done before and works (Busquets and Pedro were playing 4th tier when Guardiola brought them up). But as we stand, there are other players before Ballou in line to play with the first team, some will go to the US tour for example, but I doubt he will. So I'd say he'll go out on loan and even if it is a good team in Spanish 2nd, that does not put him on the IC radar at all, don't think. It is easily good enough for us however.

Do you feel that he has a chance to start with a Spanish 2nd div team, given that he had few minutes with a team that was just relegated? Based on what you have seen of him can he start in 2A?

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Do you feel that he has a chance to start with a Spanish 2nd div team, given that he had few minutes with a team that was just relegated? Based on what you have seen of him can he start in 2A?

This.

17 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Good question, my opinion is that yes, he could play, not sure about starting. 

In Spanish 2nd division the B teams of La Liga teams have trouble staying up, most relegate quickly. Because most are playing u-19s with a few other guys signed to help the squad who are older, and physically and experience-wise it is tough. Sevilla's 2nd team also relegated this year.

He was good in every match he played, IMO, he did not have bad minutes, and probably deserved more minutes. With the team desperate and the original coach taking flack, he only got minutes attacking late for a goal, they did not trust him with the tactical nous to be defending from the start on the flank. For me, he got a bit of a raw deal, he deserved a few more games. Then late in the season Barça club members like me and tens of thousands more started to ask why we were signing so many outsiders when we were supposed to be developing our own guys, and that is the philosophy: stay faithful to the academy kids so that we can continue to start the first team with half academy players (Alba, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi, maybe Sergi Roberto), as we do now. And Ballou is an outside signing, not a member of La Masia.

Canada should just keep calling him up until he feels that he has to take a chance for the exposure, which is what he would have benefitted from in Toulon.

I think Tabla going out on loan to a second tier side could be dangerous for our chances.

If he does very well, which is not beyond him, the next step may be to sell him on to a strong Segunda club, a weaker la liga club, or a big club outside of Spain. Either of those things could put him on the IC radar.

Conversely, there is little chance any of those things occur if he stays with Barca B in segunda b, and I can't see IC calling a player in the third tier, even if he's a barca player.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think Tabla going out on loan to a second tier side could be dangerous for our chances.

If he does very well, which is not beyond him, the next step may be to sell him on to a strong Segunda club, a weaker la liga club, or a big club outside of Spain. Either of those things could put him on the IC radar.

Conversely, there is little chance any of those things occur if he stays with Barca B in segunda b, and I can't see IC calling a player in the third tier, even if he's a barca player.

Ivory Coast has at the "lowest" players in 2nd division France, in modest team in Turkey or Belgium top flight. A keeper in Norway. So the level is still high, and no player is under 22. Tabla is just 19. So IMO he's safe for now, you are right; Ivory Coast is not going to call him as is until he really starts to shine, and in a strong 2nd division at least. 

Objectively I think he should stay at Barça and develop, he is the same age as the great crop of u-19s who were moved into the B system this last season, and 2B is good for developing. In his group he'd play B teams of other Liga teams (Espanyol, Girona, Valencia, Villareal), and he'd occasionally train with the first team. He may get Spanish Cup minutes with first team. But especially, he has not yet developed into the Barça system, he is not integrated properly yet, I am not sure he speaks the language right yet, he'd do a preseason with the group, so that would all benefit him. 

He probably thinks it is beneath him though, I am not sure he understands what it is all about.

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This could probably move to the actual Tabla thread.

Agree, let's not hijack the positives of the kids in Toulon with speculation on a kid who chose not to be there with them.

Archived